|For an overview of flamethrower models, see Flamer.|
The flamer in the Commonwealth differs notably from the versions in the Capital Wasteland and Mojave Desert. Its fuel tanks are located directly underneath the main body of the weapon, rather than attached to the user's back, and the weapon has a more industrial appearance.
Functionally, the Commonwealth flamer comes with a significantly larger fuel tank than its DC and Mojave counterparts - an unmodified flamer has a capacity of 100 fuel units, as opposed to earlier models' 60, and through weapon modifications, this capacity can be quadrupled up to 400 units. The flamer is considered a heavy weapon and as such benefits from relevant perks such as Heavy Gunner.
None of the flamer's modifications require a perk before they may be made.
|Slot||Mod||Description||Weapon prefix||Range change||Perk needed||Components||Base ID|
|Tank||Standard tank||Standard.||Flamer||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||Adhesive x3
|Napalm tank||Superior damage.||Napalmer||+4||–||–||–||–||+7.1||+59||–||Adhesive x4
|Barrel||Standard barrel||Standard.||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||Adhesive x2
|Long barrel||Increased reach.||Extended||–||–||–||–||–||+2.2||+28||–||Adhesive x3
|Propellant tank||Standard propellant tank||Standard.||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||Adhesive x2
|Large propellant tank||Better ammo capacity. Reduced reload speed.||High capacity large||–||–||–||–||+100||+2.6||+28||–||Adhesive x2
|Huge propellant tank||Exceptional ammo capacity. Inferior reload speed.||Maximum capacity huge||–||–||–||–||+300||+5.6||+34||–||Adhesive x2
|Nozzle||Standard nozzle||Standard.||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||Adhesive x4
|Compression nozzle||Better damage. Reduced range.||Compressed||+2||–||-24||–||–||-0.2||+22||–||Aluminum x3
|Vaporization nozzle||Superior damage. Inferior range.||Vaporizing||+4||–||-36||–||–||–||+47||–||Adhesive x7
- In the Fens Street sewer.
- Carried by many Forged raiders in and around Saugus Ironworks.
- The Castle, sitting on a table to the eastern side. If not taken right away, Preston Garvey or one of the Minutemen may take it and use it instead.
- Given by Desdemona after completing To the Mattresses quests.
- One can be found on a Triggerman at the end of The Big Dig.
- One lays between the containment spheres at the irradiated nuclear power station adjacent to county crossing, guarded by a pair of bloodbugs.
- One is located inside the Mass Bay Medical Center inside one of the "EMERGENCY" titled rooms, right in front of a medical-type RobCo terminal. The room including the flamer must be unlocked using the Master Locksmith perk.
- Can be bought from Tinker Tom in the Railroad HQ, from Daisy in Goodneighbor or from other weapon merchants.
- The first shot using V.A.T.S. generates only a single tick on the critical meter, but the second shot generates several ticks at once, potentially filling the critical meter in an instant.
- Shots using V.A.T.S. do not deal the amount of damage displayed instantly since it deals damage over time.
- The long barrel modification is implemented such that, in the game, it must be applied last to increase the range after a custom nozzle is selected.
Behind the scenes
With Fallout 4, Bethesda designers moved away from using the "backpack ammo" design for heavy weapons, such as the flamer and minigun. Although a backpack of ammunition would be more realistic, considering the amount of ammunition that would be lugged around for heavy weapons, they found that the backpacks limited them in their costume and armor design.
- The Art of Fallout 4, p. 236: "FLAMER
We went away from using backpacks for our heavy guns, such as the flamer and the minigun. Although they're realistic given the amount of ammo you'd lug around, the backpacks really limited us in our costume and armor design."