|For an overview of flamethrower models, see Flamer.|
It is identical to the Fallout 3 version, but can now be modded with the flamer expanded tanks. Also, it is now an Energy Weapon instead of a Big Gun like in Fallout 3. With a high enough Energy Weapons skill, the flamer is an extremely effective weapon at killing all forms of unarmored and lightly armored enemies (giant ants, most humans, cazadores, mantises, and spore carriers).
It produces a cone of fire from the nozzle, capable of hitting multiple enemies or allies simultaneously. Additionally, it is capable of hitting multiple body parts and inflicting widespread damage.
The flamer can shoot a total of about 995 times using standard fuel, the equivalent of 17 reloads, or 9 reloads when modified with expanded tanks, from full condition before breaking. The incinerator and heavy incinerator both fire the same amount of fuel before breaking.
|Ammunition type||Unmodified||W/ Expanded tanks|
- Flamer expanded tanks increases fuel tank capacity by 60.
|- Weapon name (melee or unarmed)||- Attacks in V.A.T.S.|
|- Weapon name (gun, energy or explosive)||- Action point cost|
|- Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||- Damage per action point|
|- Damage per second||- Weapon spread|
|- Area of effect damage||- Magazine capacity (shots per reload)|
|- Effect damage & duration||- Durability (number of attacks before breaking)|
|- Bonus effects||- Weight|
|- Attacks per second||- Value in caps|
|- Critical chance % multiplier||- Value to weight ratio|
|- Critical damage||- Skill required|
|- Critical effect damage & duration||- Strength required|
|- With all mods attached|
- Gomorrah - In a weapons crate in a locked room in the casino's lower level.
- Silver Rush - Can be stolen or bought from Gloria Van Graff.
- Ultra-Luxe kitchen - There are two men cooking meat with flamers.
- Vault 3 - Members of the Fiends may carry them.
- Vault 22 - In the common areas, inside a room with generators.
- Carried by Cook-Cook.
- Blister in the Divide. Carried by
- The flamer appears in the graphic novel All Roads; it is the cause of the burned bodies at the Tribal village.
- Since the flamer is an energy weapon, it is affected by Meltdown. In order for Meltdown to trigger, the target has to die from the damage from the initial attack of the flamer, not the damage over time effect that it applies. This can sometimes hinder the player's use of the flamer because the range of the flamer places the player character on the outskirts of the blast, and will do moderate damage to the limbs. In comparison to the meltdown effect of other energy weapons though (such as the multiplas rifle or the alien blaster) the damage to the player character is very small and won't threaten to take much more than 25 HP even in a large chain reaction blast.
- A full tank in Hardcore mode will weigh 1.2 pounds, or 1.5 pounds if using the homemade fuel (without Pack Rat). The flamer expanded tanks will weigh in at 2.4 pounds for normal fuel and 3 pounds for the homemade fuel without Pack Rat.
- There are many bugs associated with this weapon. One such bug causes the handheld part of the weapon to not disappear when put away; waving around as if an extension of the hand. [verified]
- Another glitch (possibly caused by modding the weapon) is when the tank part of the weapon appears to fall off and bounce, much like when dropping a weapon, in third-person. When the player returns to first-person the tank disappears from the ground. [verified]
- Also when upgraded, the flamer tanks may permanently appear on your back, even if you drop the weapon. Exiting and restarting the game will fix this. It appears that this bug is triggered by traveling between areas while wielding the weapon. Also switching to another weapon with a pack will fix the bug. Getting your weapons taken at a casino or similar place will also fix this. An easy fix is to equip another weapon *without* a pack, then equip the flamer, then finally unequip the flamer, and the pack should be off. [verified]
- Sometimes if you equip the flamer, the flamer tanks will not appear, to resolve this problem simply re-equip it. [verified]
- When hot keyed this weapon is incorrectly labeled with the explosive weapon icon. [verified]
- The flamer can shoot through walls, windows, and force-fields. [verified]
- The flamer can sometimes appear to still be firing when the player has exhausted all fuel and just makes the sound but no fire actually comes out of the nozzle. Note; this doesn't affect the condition and can easily be fixed by releasing the fire button[verified]