|For an overview of Flamethrower models, see Flamer.|
The flamer is a sort of middle ground between the big guns. It has the shortest range of any big gun but does quite a bit more damage per shot compared to miniguns. Fire resistance is often lower than normal resistance, so a flamer can usually do more damage to an enemy in power armor than a minigun, and has less danger to the user compared to the BigBazooka rocket launcher. Floaters, especially, have very low fire resistance. The only downside to the flamer is the heavy ammo, which weighs 10 pounds for a cluster of 10 shots.
One can be upgraded into an improved flamer in Fallout 2. It increases the flamer's minimum damage by 5 and makes it one pound heavier. Loaded with volatile flamethrower fuel Mk II, a flamer can roast enemies at close range, while miniguns destroy targets at medium range, and a BigBazooka rocket launcher annihilates far-away foes.
- Talius will give a flamer along with fuel to player characters with an Intelligence above 4, but only the flamer itself if one has killed the mutants at the Necropolis Watershed.
- Barry, a mutant inside the Watershed, also carries one.
- Can be bought from Jake in Old Town.
- Nightkin use them.
- Carried by female "Big Gun Thugs" in gang encounters around New Reno and rogues in Broken Hills' area.
- Darion in Vault 15 has one.
- Another big gun thug is used in random encounters with the Morton brothers.
- Super mutants in levels 2 and 3 of the Mariposa Military Base use them.
- Around San Fransisco, a female Hubologist uses one.
- Carried by some Enclave soldiers in advanced power armor.