|For other examples of fish, see Fish.|
Fish survived the nuclear devastation of the Great War and are found in the Boston region. They are found deceased, washed up on shores near mirelurks and radgulls. In Boston, several fish packing plants are situated along the shore. Fish line the conveyor belts at the Mahkra Fishpacking plant and a fish is seen on the sign of Four Leaf fishpacking plant. A fisherman can be found outside of the Compound on the shore of Mystic Lake, across from Covenant. He will walk back and forth on the concrete pier above the entrance to the Compound and watches those coming and going. He is not hostile but will complain to the Sole Survivor that they are scaring away the fish he is trying to catch.
At these locations, companions will make comments about the fish, including Danse, who wonders if fishing is even possible these days, as he has never done it before. Deacon shares that fish are a good meal when prepared correctly, and MacCready says eating fish upsets his stomach. Fish are also used in cliches, such as Piper Wright's reference to the player character as looking like "a fish out of water."
Fish and fishing are a large part of the livelihood and culture of those living in Far Harbor. The Sole Survivor can purchase a unique weapon called The Fish Catcher, as well as find fishing poles, fish baskets, and racks scattered around the docks and island. The #5 issue of Islander's Almanac features fish recipes.
There are two named fishermen the Sole Survivor can meet on the docks. One fisherman can be found outside The Last Plank at a table cutting fish, and will share that his family hails from Yorkshire and that he once snagged a mini nuke while fishing. He also asks everyone to be quiet as he is trying to fish and will mention sea bass during the Captain's Feast. The fisherwoman will suggest sweeping a Geiger counter on any fish that are caught, and may comment that the fish are not biting, or that mainlanders arriving have scared away all the fish.
Fish are relatively the same size as before the war, with the addition of fleshy growths and sores on their sides.
- Live fish can also be found swimming underwater at the docks of Far Harbor and in bodies of water all over the Island, though the Sole Survivor is unable to interact with them.
- Nahant Oceanological Society terminal entries; Increased Toxicity
- Covenant terminal entries; office terminal, > Fishermen report (Draft)
- Danse: "I've never been fishing before. I wonder if it's even possible these days."
- Deacon:"A properly cooked fish is pretty good eats. As long as it hasn't mutated too much."
- MacCready: "Let's pass on the fish. It gives me gas. You don't want that to happen."
- Sole Survivor: "Yeah. Holding up."
Piper Wright: "Look, I'm just gonna say it. You're a Vault Dweller. You might not be wearing the blue jumpsuit, but the Pip-Boy and that "fish out of water" look? Dead giveaways."
(Piper Wright's dialogue)
- Islander's Almanac issue #5: Recipe Roundup
- Fishermen: "I've yet to catch a proper fish. Hooked a mini nuke once, though. Good day, that."
- Fishermen: "Could everyone keep it down? Some of us are trying to fish here."
- Fishermen: "This feast is in your honor, is it? Sure, you kill some Mirelurk grand beastie and you get this whole soiree. But I fish myself up an honest to goodness sea bass and nary a peep."
- Fisherwoman: "The fish ain't biting."
- Fisherwoman: "Never know what you're going to catch in these waters. Always sweep what you catch with the geiger counter."
- Fisherwoman: "Hope no more of you mainlanders are coming. Scares the fish."