The Fire Breathers was a specialized division of the Responders dedicated to fighting the Scorched before 2102. Before the Great War many members had served West Virginia as firefighters and emergency services, mostly operating in Charleston, West Virginia. Their division was led by Melody Larkin and originally assembled with the goal of exploring the toxic Ash Heap region.
The Fire Breathers were comprised of pre-War firefighters and post-War volunteers. They refined tactics and developed equipment specifically for fighting the Scorched, notably using pre-War fire protection gear as armor as well as Fire Breather uniforms. Firefighter protectrons at the Charleston Fire Department were reprogrammed to assist the Fire Breathers in their new role.
To join the Fire Breathers, potential recruits were required to complete an exam comprised of three tests; a written exam, a fitness exam and a final exam testing the practical application of the recruit's abilities in a hostile environment.
As the threat of a Scorched horde breaching the Savage Divide became too great to ignore, the Fire Breathers embarked on a last-ditch mission to seal the Big Bend Tunnel and prevent their progress. The mission ultimately failed and by 2102, the Fire Breathers had been wiped out.
Interactions with the player characterEdit
While the Fire Breathers have been wiped out, their protectrons and equipment can be utilized by the player character. One of these protectrons, Bernie, appears during the quest Into the Fire, in which the player character participates in the Fire Breathers' recruitment exam. Bernie presents the player character with equipment necessary for the final test and instructs on how to formally become a Fire Breather upon its completion.
The player character can find the bodies of Sergeants Allemane, Cominsky, and Holstein at Big Bend Tunnel. Collecting the three codes found on their corpses will unlock plans for anti-Scorched weapon mods at the Fire Breathers' master terminal in the Charleston Fire Department.
- Charleston Fire Department - Their main, and so far only, base of operations.
- Belching Betty - A Scorched-infested mine, the player character is sent during Into the Fire to clear it and activate the emergency beacon of a team of Fire Breathers previously sent there.
- Brim Quarry - A Scorched-infested quarry, it was successfully cleared by a Fire Breathers team led by Lieutenant Thomas on March 10, 2095. It has been reoccupied in subsequent years.
- Big Bend Tunnel - The location of the Fire Breathers' last mission. The corpses of Sergeants Allemane, Cominsky, and Holstein can be found here.
- Melody Larkin - Leader. Last reported leading a mission to seal Big Bend Tunnel.
- Hank Madigan - Killed by raiders while attempting to fix a relay for the Free States' Scorched Detection system. Corpse can be found in a cage on the Top of the World's observation level.
- Sgt. Allemane - Died during the Fire Breathers' final mission. Corpse can be found at Big Bend Tunnel West, near the tunnel entrance.
- Sgt. Cominsky - Died during the Fire Breathers' final mission. Corpse can be found in the Big Bend Tunnel, near the end of a side tunnel with railroad tracks running south.
- Sgt. Holstein - Died during the Fire Breathers' final mission. Corpse can be found at Big Bend Tunnel East, near the tunnel entrance.
- Lieutenant Thomas - A lieutenant in both the pre-War Charleston F.D. and later the Fire Breathers. At one point was charged with clearing Brim Quarry. 
- Dustin - A member of Lieutenant Thomas' squad at Brim Quarry. After Garrett's death, he attempted to console the squad by reasoning his death was relatively painless.
- Garrett - A member of Lieutenant Thomas' squad at Brim Quarry. Died whilst clearing the quarry summit and was buried in its shipping yard.
- Omar - A member of Lieutenant Thomas' squad at Brim Quarry.
- Yas - A member of Lieutenant Thomas' squad at Brim Quarry.
- Andrew Rhodes - Died while attempting to clear Belching Betty as part of the final Fire Breathers' exam.
- Maxine Ballard - Died while attempting to clear Belching Betty as part of the final Fire Breathers' exam.
- Rita Wilcox - Died while attempting to clear Belching Betty as part of the final Fire Breathers' exam.
- Sylvester Tate - Died while attempting to clear Belching Betty as part of the final Fire Breathers' exam.
- Timothy Wolfe - Died while attempting to clear Belching Betty as part of the final Fire Breathers' exam.
The Fire Breathers only appear in Fallout 76.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Charleston Fire Department terminal entries#Knowledge Exam: You're here because we believe you have the stones to survive in the Ash Heap and, more importantly, to help us stop these "Scorched" things from taking it over.
- ↑ The Fire Breathers
- ↑ Charleston Fire Department terminal entries#Knowledge Exam: This system will walk you through three exams designed to prepare you for what's to come...
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Out of time (holotape)
- ↑ Orders from Melody
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 Lt. Thomas' action report