|Side Quest: Find the Water Thief|
|Speak to the water guard, Cindy or Lyle.|
|Go to the Level 3 and wait until midnight.|
|Confront the water thief after he leaves the supply room.|
|Kill the thief.||Convince the thief to search his pockets.|
|Reward: 500 XP||Speak to the officer.|
|Reward: 1000 XP|
- Lyle located on the second level, second room from the left of the screen on the south side.
- Cindy located on the second level, first room from the right of the screen on the south side.
- The water guard located on level 3, outside the storeroom door.
After speaking to any of these people about the water thief, enter the room nearest the elevator on level three and stay there until midnight. A lone vault dweller will leave the elevator and walk around the level before entering the water storage room (the room with multiple lockers).
When the water thief exits the room, the Vault Dweller needs to confront him and insist on searching him. This requires the Dweller to pass a Charisma check or he will attack. After the thief is searched, the Dweller will be taken immediately to the Vault 13 officer, who will thank them for their aid. This completes the quest.
The amount of experience varies based on how the Vault Dweller handled the situation:
- 1000 XP for ending the matter peacefully.
- 500 XP for killing the water thief.
- Completion of the main quest, Find the Water Chip, voids the ability to initiate or complete this quest. The Vault Dweller can still complete this quest even if they have obtained the water chip, so long as it has not been given to Overseer Jacoren. The Vault Dweller can still complete the quest even if they have given the chip to Jacoren after they "log their progress in the library terminal" before returning to Jacoren to get the final storyline quests.
- It is possible get the full 1000 XP, without needing to pass a Charisma check of 7 and above by doing the following:
- Be unarmed and wear a Vault 13 jumpsuit.
- After spotting the thief stealing water, ask him if he's seen anyone, say goodnight as if letting him go.
- Question him again, but this time more aggressively.
- This workaround for getting a peaceful solution and 1000 XP does not work with Charisma on 1 and Speech on 130%. One can either let him go or start the fight. So probably the Charisma check is still there but different.
- When trying to kill the thief and if he dies from the attack of a companion the player character will only get 55 XP for "killing your enemies."