Fallout is an upcoming television series based on the Fallout series of video games. Licensed to Amazon Studios, the series will be developed by Kilter Films, in association with Bethesda Game Studios and Bethesda Softworks. Executive producers include Jonathan Nolan, Lisa Joy, and Athena Wickham for Kilter Films, Todd Howard for Bethesda Game Studios, and James Altman for Bethesda Softworks.
The rights to the TV series adaptation were purchased by Amazon in 2020 following months of negotiation. A teaser for the series was released on July 2, 2020, revealing Amazon and Kilter Films' involvement. Following the announcement, the Kilter team stated, "Fallout is one of the greatest game series of all time. Each chapter of this insanely imaginative story has cost us countless hours we could have spent with family and friends. So we're incredibly excited to partner with Todd Howard and the rest of the brilliant lunatics at Bethesda to bring this massive, subversive, and darkly funny universe to life with Amazon Studios."
Albert Cheng, chief operating officer and co-head of television at Amazon Studios said, "Fallout is an iconic global franchise, with legions of fans worldwide and a rich, deeply compelling storyline that powers it. And Jonah and Lisa are the perfect storytellers to bring this series to life. We’re thrilled to join with Bethesda to bring Fallout to television."
Bethesda Game Studios' Todd Howard shared that "over the last decade, we looked at many ways to bring Fallout to the screen, but it was clear from the moment I first spoke with Jonah and Lisa a few years ago, that they and the team at Kilter were the ones to do it right. We're enormous fans of their work and couldn't be more excited to work with them and Amazon Studios."
In an August 2020 interview, Bethesda design director Emil Pagliarulo stated that Bethesda set up lore information and guidelines for the series' writers, but afterward the writers, "go off and do their things" as they are the experts.
In an August 2021 interview with Collider, Lisa Joy described the upcoming series as "a gonzo, crazy, funny, adventure, and mindfuck like none you’ve ever seen before. It’s pretty cool."
In November 2021, during a Reddit AMA, Bethesda Game Studios' Todd Howard confirmed that the series was still in motion, stating: "[It's] moving ahead. [I'm] really excited to be working with Jonah, Lisa, and Amazon on it."
- "Kilter Films Teams With Amazon Studios to Develop Series Based on Fallout" at Bethesda.net
- ‘Fallout’ TV Series From ‘Westworld’ Creators Based On Games In Works At Amazon With Series Commitment
- ‘Fallout’: Kilter Films’ TV Series Based On Games Moving Forward At Prime Video With Jonathan Nolan Directing; Duo Set As Showrunners
- Fallout TV Show In the Works at Amazon From Westworld Creators
- ‘Fallout’ TV Series From ‘Westworld’ Creators in the Works at Amazon
- Interview with Jeff Gardiner and Emil Pagliarulo at Gamescom 2020 (reference starts at 00:54:38):
Emil Pagliarulo: "To the point where, y'know, Todd asks... Bethesda sets up the lore stuff and they have their guidelines, but they go off and do their things. That's- they're experts at what they do, so..."
Jeff Gardiner: "Having worked on a video game that's inspiring a TV series, that's... pretty cool."
- Lisa Joy on ‘Reminiscence,’ Casting Hugh Jackman, and How the ‘Fallout’ Amazon Series Will Be Like Nothing You’ve Seen Before
- Todd Howard on Reddit
- Reddit: Todd Howard AMA, 10 November 2021
- 'Fallout': Walton Goggins To Star In Prime Video’s TV Series From Kilter Films Based On Games (archived)
- 'Fallout' TV Series at Amazon Casts 'Yellowjackets' Star Ella Purnell in Lead Role (archived)