| || This is the home page of a Nukapedia + The Vault project. A project is a collaboration of editors improving articles and other content related to a particular subject. For more information, see Fallout Wiki:Projects.|
This project's scope encompasses a subject that does not have a definitive end. Editors are encouraged to contribute as available tasks and time permits.
The Nukapedia New User Network (NUN) is a project which aims to help people become better editors, and feel welcome in our community.
Here at the Nukapedia New User Network, it's our job to help you become a better editor. You may be new to wikis, moved over from our discussions, new to Fallout, or just new to us. You may even be an "old hand" who has only been a participant of the community features rather than an editor, or perhaps even a long-term reader, first-time writer.
Our mentors are here to give you all the help and support that you need. You might need one-on-one sessions, or maybe just a word of advice every now and then, it's completely up to you. There's nothing structured or formal here, we just take things as they go.
As you get more and more confident, you'll hopefully need us less and less, until eventually you earn yourself the official "Editor's Red Pen" achievement, which is available only from us, not in any stores.
I hope you enjoy your time here at Nukapedia, and with the New User Network.
Frequently Asked QuestionsEdit
- I know how to edit. Do I have to participate?
Absolutely not. Participation from new editors is completely voluntary, and no one will think any less of you for simply just jumping in and improving articles and projects.
- How does this work?
You'll be paired with a more experienced editor, and then from that it's up to you. We will provide the support you think you need, and make suggestions based on your edits. You can pull out any time you like or, after you "graduate," come back for more help if you need it.
- I've been referred here by an admin, patroller or moderator. Why?
If you've been referred here by one of those people above, it suggests that some of your recent edits may not be up to our normal standards, but we can see that you're trying. It's not a punishment, and you don't have to participate, but they feel you may be best helped by joining us. It is completely up to you but at the end of the day substandard edits do create more work for the rest of the wiki.
- How long does it run for?
That is completely up to you and your mentor.
- I have an existing relationship/feud with one of the "approved" mentors. Can I choose/avoid them?
If you're friends with a mentor already, this is fine as long as both of you agree. If you have problems with a particular editor, please contact me.
- What are you going to teach me?
Depending on what your previous experience is, this could range from wiki markup code and template usage, to just becoming familiar with the Nukapedia Style Guide. We're also going to give you a link to the greater community, and help you to discover other features of the site and projects you can contribute to.
- I want to be a mentor. Where do I sign up?
Contact me (FDekker) on my talk page and I'll confirm you're active enough and have enough edits to be added. It's not so much a hard hurdle to pass; it's just to avoid people who are completely fresh. Moderators, administrators and bureaucrats may add themselves directly without further approval required; their position is proof enough.
- Is there anything I should know as a mentor?
This article's talk page is the action central for mentors, where we share the latest on what is happening with the programme, and tips and tricks on how you can best help your mentee.
If you want to become a mentor, please leave a message on the talk page of FDekker.
|-bleep196- (talk · contribs)|| EST US 3:20-11:00 MWF, 1:00-11:00 TR|
All day on Weekends
|Bug verification · Categories · Merges and splits · Edits en-masse|
|DistustingWastelander (talk · contribs)||Images · General editing|
|FDekker (talk · contribs)||Any time except when it's night in Europe||Creation Kit · General editing · Interwiki · Templates|
|Jspoelstra (talk · contribs)||Everything|
|Jgrsoto (talk · contribs)||I'm available most times. My time zone is GMT -4:00.||General editing|
|GarouxBloodline (talk · contribs)||Varies||Article Structure, Templates, Policy Fundamentals|
Thank you for your help!
|Kastera1000||Article layout · Character/creature/location articles · Site policy|
|SaintPain||FO3 & FNV: Images · Notable loot · Minor edits · PC bugs/fixes · Creative writing / Member's projects support.|
|Skire||FO3 & FNV: Article structure · Encyclopaedic style · Notable loot|
|Stars and Stripes Forever||FO3 & FNV: Notable Loot, Bugs, Anything PS3|
|The Gunny||FO3 & FNV: Weapons · Tables · Infoboxes|
|The Old World Relics||Many common Nukapedia policies and guidelines both editing-related and not · Community work · Template usage · Infobox usage and parameters · Charts|
|Tocinoman||FO3 & FNV: Article structure · Templates · Content and notability · Manual of style · Efficient collaboration · Bug verification · Editing in general|
If you want to join the NUN and find a mentor, you can leave a message on the talk page of FDekker.
|Enclave Soldier Elliott (talk · contribs)||FDekker (talk · contribs)|
Congratulations! In order of graduation:
|Crimson Frankie (talk · contribs)||Energy X (talk · contribs)|
|The Old World Relics (talk · contribs)||ToCxHawK (talk · contribs)|
|Chris the Saiyan (talk · contribs)||Tocinoman (talk · contribs)|
|Theodorico (talk · contribs)||Jspoelstra (talk · contribs)|
|Denis517 (talk · contribs)||SigmaDelta54 (talk · contribs)|
|Dead Gunner (talk · contribs)||SigmaDelta54 (talk · contribs)|
|Retro Radiation King (talk · contribs)||SigmaDelta54 (talk · contribs)|
|CommanderNuka (talk · contribs)||Stars and Stripes Forever (talk · contribs)|
This section contains very rough guidelines on what mentors should aim to achieve together with their mentees. Each mentee is different and mentors are expected to follow these guidelines only very flexibly (if at all), depending on their mentee. Consider this a rough template to start off with and deviate from it all you want.
A successful mentee is expected to pass four milestones:
- Participate: Encourage participation within the wiki itself beyond just reading.
- Maintain: Focus on the bare essentials of editing, such as links, minor corrections, categorization, etc.
- Improve: Enhance existing content by partially rewriting sections, enhancing images, etc.
- Create: Mastery of creating new content, ranging from creating new pages to setting up basic projects.
The following sections contain some criteria for each milestone. Whether a mentee has achieved a milestone is ultimately up to the discretion of the mentor, but it is suggested that a mentee has passed at least 3 criteria per milestone. Mentors are free to add custom criteria for a milestone if these are more appropriate for the mentee.
- Show basic wikicode familiarity
- Suggested: Have a customized userpage.
- Show basic template familiarity
- Suggested: Have a customized signature.
- Be a part of the community
- Suggested: Join Discord, participate on /d, or comment on a blog post.
- Show basic editing proficiency
- Suggested: Perform 20 edits in total, of which 10 are mainspace edits.
- Show familiarity with categories
- Suggested: Add 10 articles or images to the right category.
- Show intermediate editing proficiency
- Suggested: Perform 25 minor article edits (spelling, grammar) for a total of 50 total edits.
- Show intermediate wikicode familiarity
- Suggested: Write an introductory, fan fiction, or other significantly-sized blog AND use a significant amount of wikicode in its creation.
- Show intermediate template familiarity
- Suggested: Add and populate an infobox or other template that requires significant input to an article page.
- Suggested: Add a significant amount of information to an infobox already present on a page.
- Show advanced editing capability
- Suggested: Write a new section for a page.
- Suggested: Rewrite a significant section of an article.
- Show familiarity with image uploading requirements
- Suggested: Add one image to a page, and describe, categorize, and license it properly. (Mainspace is encouraged, but userspace is acceptable.)
- Suggested: Update an existing image by increasing its resolution, cropping it, or otherwise enhancing it.
- Show editing consistency
- Suggested: Have around 100 mainspace edits.
- Be a big part of the community
- Suggested: Join a project and make some progress towards its goal.
- Show us what you can do
- Suggested: Create an article from scratch. Must meet usual guidelines, use templates where appropriate, be correctly categorized, etc.
- Take initiative
- Suggested: Start a new project and make some good progress. (This should be discussed with the mentor. Nothing too ambitious!)
- Move beyond a wall of text
- Suggested: Upload a significant number of different files, correctly licensed, attributed, and categorized.
- Show we can depend on you
- Suggested: Patroller minimum requirements met.
When a mentor has confidence in their mentee's progress they can discuss graduation with the project coordinator, FDekker.