|For the condition that lists diseases in Fallout 76, see Fallout 76 diseases.|
|This page lists all mutations in Fallout 76.|
Mutations are a gameplay mechanic in Fallout 76, where exposure to radiation has implications on the player character. It is not exclusively tied to limiting SPECIAL stats or max health, it also allows the player character to develop various mutations, which act like traits in other games in the series.
Characteristics[edit | edit source]
Mutations are a type of condition that give a mixture of powerful positive and negative effects. Whenever one takes Radiation damage, they have a chance to gain a mutation, equivalent to 5% per 5 points of radiation damage (if they are not below level 5). This can occur from being struck by excessive background radiation from a source such as zones devastated by nukes, irradiated creatures, radioactive waste, etc. It is possible to acquire up to 18 of the 19 available mutations at the same time. The sole exception is Carnivore and Herbivore, which prevent one another from being acquired.
The Class Freak perk will reduce the negative effects of a mutation by up to 75%, while Strange in Numbers will grant a 25% increase to the positive effect if teammates are also mutated. A player character wielding a legendary weapon with the Mutant prefix will do 10% more damage when mutated.
Mutations may also be gained by consuming a mutation serum which allows a specific mutation to be gained. Serums are consumable items that will grant a specific mutation as one uses it, and temporarily suppresses the negative effects of the mutation.
All serums and their recipes are sold by the MODUS science terminal at the Whitespring bunker Science Wing terminal. Recipes for the serums can also be purchased from MODUS but have a steep base price of 23000 caps each, but with the Hard Bargain Perk card and higher Charisma levels, the price can be reduced. Prior to patch 18.104.22.168, mutation serum recipes also had a chance to be dropped by the scorchbeast queen.
Removal and prevention[edit | edit source]
Mutations are semi-permanent. Every time the player character uses RadAway, RadAway: diluted or a decontamination shower, there is a chance that a randomly selected mutation will be removed. They can keep using RadAway for more attempts to remove a mutation. Mutations cannot be removed through death. However, a percentage of rads is removed upon death. Nuka-Grape, brahmin milk, or the perk cards Healing Hands, Rad Sponge and What Rads? can also be used to remove rads without risk of curing mutations.
The Starched Genes perk allows for locking mutations, as it reduces/eliminates both the chance of becoming mutated and their removal chance. Radiation protection gear (e.g. hazmat suit) reduces the chance of mutation.[verification needed]
Suppression[edit | edit source]
Even with the Starched Genes perk, the positive effects of current mutations can be suppressed by Rad-X for 10 minutes. To avoid the suppression effects of Rad-X, the diluted version or RadShield can be used to gain Radiation Resistance. If the player character already has a mutation, the respective serum will suppress the negative effects of the mutation for 60 minutes. For example, consuming a marsupial serum while already having the Marsupial mutation will temporarily remove the Intelligence debuff.
Mutations list[edit | edit source]
A player character can be affected by these mutations:
|Mutation||Positive Effect(s)||Negative Effect(s)||Serum Recipe||Base ID|
|Adrenal Reaction||+Weapon DMG at low HP||Max HP -50||Adrenal reaction serum||004E1F14|
|Bird Bones||AGI +4, Fall from heights more gradual||STR -4||Bird bones serum||003C403D|
|Carnivore||Eating meat provides double the hunger satisfaction, HP restoration, and consumable buffs, with no disease chance||Eating plant-based food does not satisfy hunger, restore HP, or apply buffs||Carnivore serum||003C4049|
|Chameleon||Invisibility in combat if unarmored and standing still||Must be unarmored, stationary and not attacking for effect to work||Chameleon serum||004E4006|
|Eagle Eyes||Critical Damage +25%, PER +4||STR -4||Eagle eyes serum||003C4037|
|Egg Head||INT +6||STR -3, END -3||Egg head serum||003C4045|
|Electrically Charged||Chance to shock melee attackers||Small amount of damage done to player||Electrically charged serum||004E400D|
|Empath||Teammates take 25% less damage||Player takes 33% more damage||Empath serum||004E1F16|
|Grounded||Energy Resistance +100||Energy Damage -50%||Grounded serum||004E4002|
|Healing Factor||Health Regeneration while not in combat +300%||Chem Effects -55%||Healing factor serum||004DF1DB|
|Herbivore||Eating plant-based food provides double the hunger satisfaction, HP restoration, and consumable buffs, with no rads or disease chance||Eating meat does not satisfy hunger, restore HP, or apply buffs||Herbivore serum||003C404E|
|Herd Mentality||All SPECIAL stats +2 when grouped||All SPECIAL stats -2 when solo||Herd mentality serum||004E1F1E|
|Marsupial||Carry weight +20, +jump height||INT -4||Marsupial serum||004DF1CE|
|Plague Walker||Poison aura scaling with your diseases||Diseases cannot cure themselves||Plague walker serum||004E4021|
|Scaly Skin||Damage and Energy Resistance +50||AP -50||Scaly skin serum||004DF1CF|
|Speed Demon||Movement speed +20%, faster reload +20%||+50% drain on hunger and thirst while moving||Speed demon serum||004DF1E0|
|Talons||Punching attacks do 25% more damage + bleed damage||AGI -4||Talons serum||0028D3BC|
|Twisted Muscles||Melee damage +25%, better chance to cripple limbs||Gun accuracy -50%||Twisted muscles serum||003C402F|
|Unstable Isotope||Medium chance to release a radiation blast when struck in melee||Minor damage to player during the radiation blast||Unstable isotope serum||004E4017|
|Rad Walker||Radiation aura scaling with your radiation. Does not affect targets already taking radiation damage.||Radiation healing reduced by 50%||004E4028|
Notes[edit | edit source]
Generic non-player characters (NPCs) from the major factions (Settlers, Raiders or the Brotherhood of Steel) will sometimes comment on specific mutations that the player character has acquired. For example, if they have the Marsupial mutation, NPCs will comment on their increased jump height or if they have the Speed Demon mutation, NPCs will comment on their increased move speed.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- PC Playstation 4 Xbox One Prior to Fallout 76 patch 22.214.171.124, the Strange in Numbers perk could increase the effect of some mutations excessively. For example, combining it with the "Bird Bones" mutation can cause the player's fall speed to be reduced so much that it is possible to walk on air.[verified]
- PC Playstation 4 Xbox One Prior to patch 126.96.36.199, which fixed the issue, the Herd Mentality mutation could prevent the sharing of other perk cards with the group.[verified]
- PC Playstation 4 Xbox One Prior to patch 188.8.131.52, which fixed the issue, the Class Freak perk card had a bug on the effects page of the Pip-Boy, where it would not show any reduction to the Empath and Herd Mentality negative effects while it is for the other mutations. For Herd Mentality, it seemed to only be a visual bug, as the negative effect of having SPECIAL reduced by 2 when solo and in a combination of rank 3 Class Freak did not reduce SPECIAL at all when equipped. For the Empath negative effect, this was a confirmed bug, as the +33% of damage was not reduced at all.[verified]
- PC Playstation 4 Xbox One Prior to patch 184.108.40.206, which fixed the issue, the Grounded mutation with the Class Freak perk (sometimes) said energy guns do 12% less damage (the correct amount)m sometimes it said 50% less damage (the standard amount) but the energy gun damage is always 50% less.[verified]
- PC Playstation 4 Xbox One Prior to patch 220.127.116.11, which fixed the issue, Chameleon often glitched, and would render the character invisible from the player regardless of whether or not they were holding their weapon, wearing armor, or in motion. At times even just the character's exposed skin was rendered invisible, while their clothing remained visible.[verified]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Equipped Weightless legendary armor will not count against Chameleon.
- Rad damage:
0: 0-100 rads
10: 101-200 rads
20: 201-300 rads
30: 301-400 rads
40: 401-500 rads
50: 501-600 rads
60: 601-700 rads
70: 701-1000 rads