| ||For the condition that lists diseases in Fallout 76, see Fallout 76 diseases.|
|This page lists all mutations in Fallout 76.|
Fallout 76 alters the way radiation works. Instead of only limiting SPECIAL stats or max health, it allows the player character to develop various mutations, which act like traits in other games in the series. Mutations are a type of condition that give a mixture of powerful positive and negative effects. The Class Freak perk will reduce the negative effects of a mutation by up to 75%, while Strange in Numbers will grant a 25% increase to the positive effect if teammates are also mutated.
It is also possible to acquire up to 18 of the 19 available mutations at the same time. The sole exception is Carnivore and Herbivore, which prevent one another from being acquired. A player character wielding a legendary weapon with the Mutant's prefix will do 10% more damage when mutated.
Whenever one takes Radiation damage, they have a chance to gain a Mutation, equivalent to 5% per 5 points of radiation damage (if they are not below level 5). This can occur from being struck by excessive background radiation from a source such as zones devastated by nukes, irradiated creatures, radioactive waste, etc. Mutations may also be gained by consuming a mutation serum which allows a specific mutation to be gained.
Serums are consumable items that will grant a specific Mutation as one uses it, and temporarily suppresses the negative effects of the Mutation.
All serums and their recipes are sold by the MODUS science terminal at the Whitespring bunker Science Wing terminal. Recipes for the serums can also be purchased from MODUS but have a steep base price of 23000 caps each, but with the Hard Bargain Perk card and higher Charisma levels, the price can be reduced.
Prevention and removalEdit
Mutations are semi-permanent. Every time the player character uses RadAway or a decontamination shower, there is a chance that a Mutation will be removed. They can keep using RadAway for more attempts to remove a Mutation. Radiation protection gear (e.g. hazmat suit) reduces the chance of mutation.
The Starched Genes perk allows for locking mutations, as it reduces/eliminates both the chance of becoming mutated and their removal chance. Mutations cannot be removed through death. However, a percentage of rads is removed through each death, so it's possible to mostly but not completely decontaminate oneself through multiple deaths if Starched Genes is not yet acquired. Nuka-Grape or brahmin milk can also be used to remove rads without risk of curing mutations.
Even with the Starched Genes perk, a Mutation's effects can be suppressed for a time with the use Rad-X. The suppression lasts for 10 minutes. To avoid the suppression effects of Rad-X, the diluted version or RadShield can be used. If one already has a mutation, the respective serum will suppress the negative effects of the Mutation for 60 minutes. For example, consuming a marsupial serum while already having the Marsupial mutation will remove the intelligence debuff.
A player character can be affected by these mutations:
|Mutation||Positive Effect(s)||Negative Effect(s)||Serum Recipe||Base ID|
|Adrenal Reaction||+Weapon DMG at low HP||Max HP -50||Adrenal reaction serum||004e1f14|
|Bird Bones||AGI +4, Fall from heights more gradual||STR -4, effectively gives the player Bone Worms||Bird bones serum||003c403d|
|Carnivore||Eating meat provides double the hunger satisfaction, HP restoration, and consumable buffs, with no disease chance.||Eating plant-based food does not satisfy hunger, restore HP, or apply buffs.||Carnivore serum||003c4049|
|Chameleon||Invisibility in combat if unarmored and standing still||Must have a weapon drawn, have no armor pieces equipped, stationary, and not attacking for effect to work. Armor pieces with the Weightless legendary attribute do not count as armor for the purposes of this mutation. Also, it is still possible for enemies to find you.||Chameleon serum||004e4006|
|Eagle Eyes||Critical Damage +25%, PER +4||STR -4||Eagle eyes serum||003c4037|
|Egg Head||INT +6||STR -3, END -3||Egg head serum||003c4045|
|Electrically Charged||Chance to shock melee attackers||Small amount of damage done to player||Electrically charged serum||004e400d|
|Empath||Teammates take 25% less damage||Player takes 33% more damage||Empath serum||004e1f16|
|Grounded||Energy Resistance +100||Energy Damage -50%||Grounded serum||004e4002|
|Healing Factor||Health Regeneration while not in combat +300%||Chem Effects -55%||Healing factor serum||004df1db|
|Herbivore||Eating plant-based food provides double the hunger satisfaction, HP restoration, and consumable buffs, with no rads or disease chance.||Eating meat does not satisfy hunger, restore HP, or apply buffs.||Herbivore serum||003c404e|
|Herd Mentality||All SPECIAL stats +2 when grouped.||All SPECIAL stats -2 when solo.||Herd mentality serum||004e1f1e|
|Marsupial||Carry weight +20, +jump height||INT -4||Marsupial serum||004df1ce|
|Plague Walker||Poison aura scaling with your diseases.||Diseases cannot cure themselves.||Plague walker serum||004e4021|
|Scaly Skin||Damage and Energy Resistance +50||AP -50||Scaly skin serum||004df1cf|
|Speed Demon||Movement speed +20%, faster reload +20%||+50% drain on hunger and thirst while moving.||Speed demon serum||004df1e0|
|Talons||Punching attacks do 25% more damage + bleed damage||AGI -4||Talons serum||0028d3bc|
|Twisted Muscles||Melee damage +25%, better chance to cripple limbs||Gun accuracy -50%||Twisted muscles serum||003c402f|
|Unstable Isotope||Medium chance to release a radiation blast when struck in melee.||Minor damage to player during the radiation blast||Unstable isotope serum||004e4017|
- PC Playstation 4 Xbox One The Class Freak perk card seems to have a bug on the effects page of the Pip-Boy, where it isn't showing any reduction to the Empath and Herd Mentality negative effects while it is for the other mutations. For the Herd Mentality it seems only a visual bug, the negative effect of having SPECIAL reduced by 2 when solo and in a combination of rank 3 Class Freak doesn't reduce SPECIAL at all when equipped. For the Empath negative effect, this is a confirmed bug, the +33% of damage is not reduced at all.[verified]
- PC Playstation 4 Xbox One Chameleon often glitches, and will render the character invisible from the player regardless of whether or not they're holding their weapon, wearing armor, or in motion. At times even just the character's exposed skin is rendered invisible, while their clothing remains visible.[verified]
- PC Playstation 4 Xbox One The Grounded mutation with the Class Freak perk (sometimes) says energy guns do 12% less damage (the correct amount) sometimes it says 50% less damage (the standard amount) but the energy gun damage is always 50% less.[verified]
- PC Playstation 4 Xbox One The Strange in Numbers perk can increase the effect of some mutations significantly. For example, combining it with the "Bird Bones" mutation can cause the player's fall speed to be reduced so much that it is possible to walk on air.[verified]
- PC Playstation 4 Xbox One The Herd Mentality mutation can prevent the sharing of other perk cards with the group. This appears to be fixed in the December 11th patch 220.127.116.11.[verified]