| ||For the condition that lists diseases in Fallout 76, see Fallout 76 diseases.|
|This page lists all mutations in Fallout 76.|
When a player character gets exposed to radiation, they have a 5% chance per 5 HP radiated to be mutated. This can occur from being struck by excessive background radiation from a source such as zones devastated by nukes, irradiated creatures, radioactive waste etc. Mutations may also be gained by consuming a mutation serum which allows a specific mutation to be gained.
Similar to traits from Fallout: New Vegas, mutations have both positive and negative effects (listed below). A player character may have multiple mutations at once with the exception of the Herbivore and Carnivore mutations which are mutually exclusive.
Radiation protection gear (e.g. hazmat suit or gas mask) reduces the chance of mutation. Consuming RadAway or using a decontamination shower has a chance to cure a random mutation. The Starched Genes perk can reduce or prevent mutations and their cure. Rank 2 of this perk card essentially makes mutations permanent while the perk is equipped. Mutations are retained when the player character dies and respawns.
A player character wielding a legendary weapon with the "Mutant's" prefix will do 10% more damage when mutated.
A player character can be affected by these mutations:
|Mutation||Positive Effect(s)||Negative Effect(s)||Percent Chance||Base ID|
|Adrenal Reaction||+Weapon DMG at low HP||Max HP -50||004e1f14|
|Bird Bones||AG +4, Fall from heights more gradual||STR -4||003c403d|
|Carnivore||No disease from Meat and 2x bonus to Food from eating meat products.||Eating fruits, and vegetables does not satisfy hunger.||003c4049|
|Chameleon||Invisibility in combat if unarmored and standing still||Must be unarmored, stationary, and not attacking for effect to work||004e4006|
|Eagle Eyes||Critical Damage +25%, PER +4||STR -4||003c4037|
|Egg Head||INT +6||STR -3, END -3||003c4045|
|Electrically Charged||Chance to shock melee attackers||Small amount of damage done to player||40%||004e400d|
|Empath||Teammates take 25% less damage||Player takes 33% more damage||004e1f16|
|Grounded||Energy Resistance +100||Energy Damage -50%||004e4002|
|Healing Factor||Health Regeneration while not in combat +300%||Chem Effects -55%||004df1db|
|Herbivore||Vegetables provides x2 benefit and no disease||Eating meat doesn't satisfy hunger||003c404e|
|Herd Mentality||All SPECIAL stats +2 when grouped||All SPECIAL stats -2 when solo||004e1f1e|
|Marsupial||Carry weight +20, +jump height||INT -4||004df1ce|
|Plague Walker||Poison aura scaling with your diseases||Diseases||004e4021|
|Scaly Skin||Damage and Energy Resistance +50||AP -50||004df1cf|
|Speed Demon||Movement speed +20%, faster reload +20%||+50% drain on hunger and thirst while moving||004df1e0|
|Talons||Punching attacks do 25% more damage + bleed damage||AGI -4||0028d3bc|
|Twisted Muscles||Melee damage +25%, better chance to cripple limbs||Gun accuracy -50%||003c402f|
|Unstable Isotope||Medium chance to release a radiation blast when struck in melee.||Minor damage to player during the radiation blast||10%||004e4017|
Mutation serums can be purchased from The Whitespring bunker once the player character joins the Enclave. The MODUS science terminal vendor found in the Science Wing of the bunker, the serums available are random and located in the Aid section. The base cost is 5,000 caps.
Buying multiple of the same mutation serum from the Whitespring bunker does NOT stack the mutations, but instead gives the player a buff of "Suppresses negative mutation effects" for one hour. For example, purchasing a Marsupial serum and consuming it while you already have the Marsupial mutation will remove the intelligence debuff.
Mutation serum recipes can be purchased from the Whitespring bunker as well, once the player character joins the Enclave. The MODUS science terminal vendor can be found in the Science Wing of the bunker. The serum recipes have a base cost of 20,000 caps.
- PC Playstation 4 Xbox One The Class Freak perk card seems to have a bug on the effects page of the Pip-Boy, where it isn't showing any reduction to the Empath and Herd Mentality negative effects while it is for the other mutations. For the Herd Mentality it seems only a visual bug, the negative effect of having SPECIAL reduced by 2 when solo and in combination of rank 3 Class Freak doesn't reduce SPECIAL at all when equip. For the Empath negative effect, this is a confirmed bug, the +33% of damage to player is not reduced at all.[verified]
- PC Playstation 4 Xbox One Chameleon often glitches, and will render the character invisible from the player regardless of whether or not they're holding their weapon, wearing armor, or in motion. At times even just the character's exposed skin in rendered invisible, while their clothing remains visible.[verified]
- PC Playstation 4 Xbox One The Grounded mutation with the Class Freak perk (sometimes) says energy guns do 12% less damage (the correct amount) sometimes it says 50% less damage (the standard amount) but the energy gun damage is always 50% less.[verified]
- PC Playstation 4 Xbox One The Strange in Numbers perk can increase the effect of some mutations significantly. For example, combining it with the "Bird Bones" mutation can cause the player's fall speed to be reduced so much that it is possible to walk on air.[verified]
- PC Playstation 4 Xbox One The Herd Mentality mutation can prevent sharing of other perk cards with the group. This appears to be fixed in the December 11th patch 220.127.116.11.[verified]