Under construction (Scribe-Howard/Waster)
This page is currently undergoing restructuring. It may be edited frequently and some items may appear differently.
In Fallout 76, Legendary weapons, Legendary armor and Legendary power armor, collectively known as Legendary items, are items with special, permanent modifiers applied.
Legendary items have one or more randomly determined special modifications, affecting combat or character stats. Legendary items may be earned as quest or Daily Ops rewards, looted from legendary enemies, bought from Purveyor Murmrgh or crafted with Legendary modules.
For detailed information on the Legendary effects applicable to each type of item, see the portal below:
Occasionally, encountered enemies may spawn as legendary enemies. These enemies will be briefly cloaked with a green fog and will be identifiable by astar and the word "Legendary" in their nameplate. When killed, legendary enemies will drop a randomly generated legendary item with at least one effect. For each legendary "star" ( ) an enemy has, a dropped legendary item may have up to that amount of effects.
|Legendary enemy drops|
|# Stars||Legendary drop|
There are certain restrictions on how, when and which enemies may spawn in as Legendary enemies:
- Enemies must be level 10 or higher in order to randomly spawn as Legendary enemies.
- Enemies cannot spawn as Legendary enemies during Daily Ops.
- Enemies cannot spawn as Legendary enemies in the Forest. The only exceptions are:
- The Sheepsquatch boss at the end of Free Range
- The mega sloth boss at the end of Fasnacht Day
- The wolf pack leaders at Leader of the Pack
- The horde alphas at Horde and Swarm Events, excluding "Wolf Horde: The Forest"
- Enemies within interiors, such as the Arktos Pharma biome lab or Charleston Capitol Building.
- The robot enemies in Watoga, the Whitespring and the Whitespring bunker cannot spawn as Legendary enemies.
- Feral ghoul and Scorched nuke code officers cannot spawn as Legendary enemies.
- The robot enemies that respawn from the robot pods (not the ones placed around by default when you enter the room) cannot spawn as Legendary enemies.
- Most humans cannot spawn as Legendary enemies:
- For a full list, check the references at Nukacrypt (external links): EpicCreatureDisallowed, ChanceLegendary (0%).
The following enemies will always spawn as a Legendary enemy.
|Scorchbeast queen||Sheepsquatch||Wendigo colossus|
The following enemies have a chance to randomly become a Legendary enemy.
|Cave cricket||Chicken[verification needed]||Deathclaw|
|Feral ghoul||Floater||Fog crawler|
|Hermit crab||Human||Mr. Gutsy|
|Mr. Handy[verification needed]||Mirelurk||Mirelurk hunter|
|Mirelurk king||Mirelurk queen||Mirelurk spawn[verification needed]|
|Mole rat||Mongrel||Mutant hound|
|Super mutant||Super mutant behemoth||Wolf|
The following enemies may only spawn Legendary when controlled by a script (quest or event).
|Grafton Monster||Liberator||Mole miner|
The following enemies will never become a Legendary enemy.
|Honey beast||Mega sloth||Mothman|
This section is required but has not been written yet. You can help Nukapedia by writing it.
Three tiers of legendary modifiers exist for both weapons and armor. A Tier 1 modifier appears on all legendary items, taking up the first "star." The modifier will be added to legendary weapon's dynamic naming as a prefix. Tier 2 modifiers comprise the second star of a legendary item and Tier 3 modifiers comprise the third. In general, Tier 2 and Tier 3 modifiers don't affect a legendary item's name. Legendary weapons and armor use different sets of modifiers and cannot use modifiers from the other's item type.
Although additional legendary modifier slots exist (Tier 4 and Tier 5 modifiers, respectively), 4 and 5-star legendary items are disabled. However, the Tier 4 and Tier 5 legendary effects are used in many of the quest-specific unique legendary weapons and armors, such as Perfect Storm or All Rise.
Legendary items can have a maximum of one modifier per category, based on the number of stars:
- A 1-star legendary will have a Tier 1 modifier.
- A 2-star legendary will have a Tier 1 modifier and a Tier 2 modifier.
- A 3-star legendary will have a Tier 1 modifier, a Tier 2 modifier, and a Tier 3 modifier.
|Legendary item chance|
- The number and type of effects generated are not affected by any SPECIAL stats, such as Luck.
- Legendary effects are randomly generated upon crafting or dropping. They cannot be found as loose mods.
- Certain unique items have predetermined Legendary effects.
- Legendary items cannot be scrapped at a workbench, but they may be placed in a legendary exchange machine for Legendary scrip ( ).
- Aside from their provided effects, Legendary items otherwise have the same statistics as non-Legendary items. They may be equipped with the same mods as non-Legendary variants.
- Almost every Legendary item may be dropped, traded to other players or sold to vendors for caps.
A majority of the weapons in Fallout 76 can be obtained as legendary items, however, there are a great many restrictions on what can and cannot appear as a Legendary item.
- Plans required
Some items cannot be obtained as legendary versions without knowing the relevant plan. These items cannot drop from legendary enemies, but can still be obtained via crafting, Purveyor, Daily Ops rewards or rewarded by Scorched Earth and season events, such as Fasnacht. The following lists contain items that may only appear as legendary items after learning the prerequisite plan.
- Cannot drop from Legendary enemies
Any item that was added since the initial release of Fallout 76 is bugged to never drop from Legendary enemies.
- Crafting only
Some items cannot spawn as Legendary items, but may be made Legendary by players using the Legendary crafting system or crafted as Legendary items from scratch.
- SMART choice machine
|Cultist blade||The Dragon||Ripper|
- Fully excluded
The following weapons and armor cannot exist as Legendary items.
Unique items come with predetermined Legendary effects. They may be obtained as quest, event or challenge rewards. Others may be crafted.
|Acceptable Overkill||Hunter's · Lucky · Perception|
|The Action Hero||Two-Shot · Rapid · Rapid|
|All Rise||Lightweight · Healthy|
|Commander's Charge||Furious · Melee Speed · Agility|
|Crushing Blow||Instigating · Crippling|
|Disorderly Conduct||Suppressor's · Crippling · Endurance|
|The Fact Finder||Two-Shot · Explosive · VATS Enhanced|
|Fancy pump action shotgun||Anti-Armor · Crippling · Steadfast|
|Fancy single action revolver||Randomly-determined 1-star effect|
|The Farmhand||Ghoul-Slayer's · Melee Speed · Endurance|
|Final Word||Anti-Armor · Rapid · Resilient|
|The Fixer||(Hidden) Dangerous|
|The Guarantee||Instigating · Crippling · Rapid|
|The Gutter||Vampire's · (Hidden) Dangerous|
|Kingfisher||Exterminator's · Lucky · Lucky|
|Mechanic's Best Friend||Troubleshooter's · Power Attack Damage · Strength|
|Medical Malpractice||Medic's · VATS Enhanced · VATS Enhanced|
|Meteoritic sword||(Hidden) Assassin's · (Hidden) Weightless · (Hidden) Durable|
|Mind Over Matter||Ghoul-Slayer's · Hitman's · Steadfast|
|Night Light||Nocturnal · Rapid · Perception|
|Oathbreaker||Suppressor's · Power Attack Damage · Cavalier's|
|Old Guard's 10mm SMG||Anti-Armor|
|The Quick Fix||Junkie's · Swing Speed · Endurance|
|Resolute Veteran||Suppressor's · Hitman's · Steadfast|
|Salt of the Earth||Two-Shot · Hitman's · Rapid|
|Slug Buster||Anti-Armor · Lucky · Lightweight|
|Sole Survivor||Assassin's · Hitman's · Steadfast|
|Unstoppable Monster||Bloodied · Power Attack Damage · Cavalier's|
|The V.A.T.S. Unknown||Medic's · Lucky · Lucky|
|Whistle in the Dark||Nocturnal · VATS Enhanced · Perception|
|Chinese stealth armor||Chameleon|
|Last Bastion||Gun Accuracy|
- Any Legendary enemy has a 25% chance to drop a Legendary T-45 power armor or Raider power armor part.
- Raider power armor will always drop at 50% condition.
- While not currently available, 4 star legendary items are planned to be added in the Tales From the Stars update.
- Explosive: reduced the damage bonus from +100% to +20% of base weapon damage, with explosive radius damage.
- Two Shot: reduced the damage bonus from +100% to +25% of base weapon damage.
- Assassin: reduced the chance of the legendary effect applying in combat from 100% to 75%.
- Cavalier: reduced the chance of the legendary effect applying in combat from 100% to 75%.
- Sentinel: reduced the chance of the legendary effect applying in combat from 100% to 75%.
- Assassin: applied the legendary effect to human NPCs. This change set the Assassin's effect to apply against the HumanRace "Human" [RACE:00013746], which includes Player [NPC_: 00000007] and Human NPCs.
- Exterminator: applied the legendary effect to cave crickets.
- Bugged to not be upgradeable. Missing Legendary Slots 1-5.
- Many enemies are unable to become Legendary enemies, while some may only be promoted during specific events. The following lootable enemies have a 0% chance to randomly spawn as a Legendary in the overworld:[verified]
|Honey beast||Liberator||Mega sloth|
|Mole miner||Mothman||Ms. Nanny|