Events are shared quests that spawn around the world and are only available to be completed for a limited amount of time before they despawn and go back on cooldown. Every 20 minutes, a random public event will be available, although they will not occur twice in a row.
Any player character can participate in these event quests, regardless of level, and some event quests encourage player characters to team up to complete the objective. These quests are displayed under the section "EVENT" of the Pip-Boy.
Events will typically grant a Mystery Pick legendary item. Mystery Picks are special legendary drops with pools expanded to include unlockable weapons and armor, such as Covert scout armor or the Gauss pistol.
- Scorched Earth, Fasnacht Day and A Colossal Problem are guaranteed to award a ★★★ legendary item.
- Grahm's Meat Cook is guaranteed to award a ★ legendary item.
- Free Range has a 15% chance to award a 1-3 ★ legendary item.[verification needed]
- All other events have a 15% chance to award a ★ legendary item.[verification needed]
- After completing the Secrets Revealed quest inside Vault 79, all public events will begin to reward a fixed number of Treasury Notes. These may be exchanged at a gold press machine for 10 gold bullion, usually limited to 40 per 20 real-world hours.
Some events are triggered by any player character approaching an event's location. Each event has a time limit to complete. Any player characters can participate by traveling to the location or refuse to by avoiding or leaving the area. These quests can be repeated every 1 hour and 12 minutes.
Public events appear in rotation with an alert on the HUD. They have automatic respawning enabled and junk is not lost upon death. All public events award Treasury Notes upon completion.
|Campfire Tales (Invaders from Beyond)||Camp Adams||004648C3|
|Free Range (Invaders from Beyond)||Big Fred's BBQ Shack
Southern Belle Motel
Groves family cabin
|Grahm's Meat-Cook||The Forest||0054B3FA
|Invaders from Beyond||Charleston Capitol Building
Garrahan Mining HQ
Sparse sundew grove
Wavy Willard's Water Park
|Line in the Sand (Invaders from Beyond)||Fort Defiance||00311433|
|Primal Cuts||Specific locations in each of the regions||0054B3F3
|The Mothman Equinox||Point Pleasant||006173A1|
Public challenges are a new form of public events that will be introduced in 2022. While similar to seasonal events, public challenges will be of a global range to the World, encouraging players to rely on each other to succeed.
|The Battle That Never Was||Prickett's Fort||0025A836|
|The Bell Tolls||First Friends Church||00065DFC|
|N/A||Magnum Opus||Watoga High School||0008F5CA|
|The Messenger||Random encounter, any region||0001A634|
|Mischief Night||The Whitespring Resort||005600A9|
|N/A||A Mine of Her Own||The Burning Mine||002B7C4D|
|N/A||The Black Box||Savage Divide||002E89B3|
|N/A||Campfire Tales: Mary (Sheriff)||Camp Adams||0046A5AA|
|N/A||Campfire Tales: Mary (Witch)||Camp Adams||0041A676|
|N/A||The Glowing Swamp||Crevasse Dam · Dyer Chemical||0022728C|
|Race for the Presidency||The Whitespring bunker
|Super Mutant Invasion||Appalachia||003CF449|
|N/A||Welcoming Committee||Vault 76||003ADDF9|
|N/A||Barnyard Brawl||Trevor's Garbage Dump (test cell)||00056895|
|Survival of the Fittest||Quick test cell||0042E56F|
- 2021 Bethesda AMA Mark Tucker: "We’ve been talking (internally) about doing something fun with the Zetans since before we launched the game, so we are excited to finally have the chance to do something with them. We are working on a new feature we call Public Challenges that will be similar to Seasonal Events, but will be global to the World and encourage players to work together to succeed. We will showcase the Zetans in our first one and plan to add more in the future."