Fallout: The Roleplaying Game, also referred to as Fallout 2d20, is a tabletop role-playing game created by Modiphius using licensed intellectual property from Bethesda Softworks and the Fallout franchise. It uses the 2d20 tabletop system translated onto a modified SPECIAL system. Prior to Fallout: The Roleplaying Game, Modiphius developed Fallout: Wasteland Warfare and its expansion, the Fallout: Wasteland Warfare Roleplaying Game.
A closed beta was announced on January 8, 2020 with participants needing to sign an NDA. Fallout: The Roleplaying Game was slated for a 2020 release, but the release was delayed to Q2 of 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The official weekly development blogs began releasing on March 16, 2021, detailing gameplay mechanics, protagonist options, and combat. The game was officially released digitally on March 31, 2021.
The physical release contained missing rules and weapon handout summaries and weapon rules handouts as well as errors. Modiphius announced the inclusion of any missing elements after the delivery the initial set along with a PDF download for those that had pre-ordered sets that included the handouts. Corrections and updates to the PDF versions of the sourcebook are planned for the future. Modiphius plans to provide long-term support of Fallout: The Roleplaying Game like the Star Trek and Conan tabletop series.
With a Bang, or a Whimper
A three act scenario is contained at the end of sourcebook, starting on page 403. The scenario is designed so it can be a continuation of Once Upon a Time in the Commonwealth but also works as a stand alone scenario should the GM feel it more appropriate. By default, the area of the scenario is set around the Commonwealth before the events of Fallout 4 with a group entering a town that was created using a Garden of Eden Creation Kit one year prior. As the group gets to know the town, Mayor Jesse Pedigrue asks the group to investigate the home of local ghoul couple Joseph and Theresa.
|Characters and locations|
- Fallout: The Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook: "This 438-page hardbound rulebook features a gorgeous cover design evoking the iconic Vault-Tec jumpsuit. Inside, you will find rules and lore for roleplaying in the Fallout world, as well as concept art from the Fallout videogames. Utilizing Modiphius’ celebrated 2d20 cinematic role-playing system, the Fallout RPG will take players on an exciting journey into the post-apocalypse!"
- Fallout: The Roleplaying Game G.E.C.K. Special Edition Box: "For the ultimate in bottle-cap savings, the G.E.C.K Special Edition Box contains everything a dedicated Fallout collector could want. This box set is limited to 2,000 copies, so get yours fast!"
- Fallout: The Roleplaying Game Table Bundle: "A must have for the ultimate Fallout collector. The Table Bundle has everything you need to jump-start your entire tabletop gaming group into the Fallout Roleplaying experience. With a total of two Fallout core rulebooks, including the beautiful G.E.C.K. core rulebook with debossed cover, your players will never have to wait to reference the explosive radius of a Fat Man nuke or how much of the explosion their T-45 Power Armor will absorb."
- Fallout: The Roleplaying Game Gamemaster Bundle: "With the Gamemaster Bundle you will have everything a GM needs to start roleplaying in the Wasteland with a group: from tips in the GM's Toolkit to full rules and resources in the core rulebook."
- Fallout: The Roleplaying Game Gamemaster Toolkit: "A post-nuclear roleplaying game needs the best storytellers and material to bring the Wasteland to life. With the Gamemaster Toolkit you will have everything a GM could want to delve into the world of Fallout."
- Fallout: The Roleplaying Game Player Bundle: "With the Player Bundle you will have everything one player needs to start roleplaying in the Wasteland."
|Sam Webb - System Design, Creative Lead|
Virginia Page - Line Development, Editing and Proofreading, Layout
|Nathan Dowdell · Sam Webb|
|Alison Cybe · Nathan Dowdell · Donathin Frye · Virginia Page · Sam Webb · Jim Johnson · Ryan Schoon|
|Michal E Cross · Tom Hutchings · Stephanie Toro|
|Michal E Cross|
|James Barry · Virginia Page|
|Peter Grochulski · Sam Webb|
|Bethesda Artwork and Staff|
|Michael Kochis · Laura Martson · Emil Pagliarulo · Spencer Weisser · Jessica Williams · Calvin Yang|
- TABLETOP RPG ‘FALLOUT 2D20’ NOW AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDER
- Modiphius on Twitter
- Donathin Frye on the future production of Fallout: The Roleplaying Game via Discord
- Donathin Frye in Reddit: "Once Upon a Time in the Commonwealth is a short campaign (much longer than a normal quest) that will be included in the Starter Set upon its future release. The Core Book quest isn't a true sequel to the campaign, but could easily be used as a transitionary quest after finishing the campaign."