|For an overview of battle rifle models in various games, see battle rifle.|
|The following is based on Fallout Tactics and some details might contradict canon.|
Background[edit | edit source]
The FN FAL, short for Fusil Automatique Léger (light automatic rifle), is a selective-fire battle rifle produced by the Belgian arms manufacturer Fabrique Nationale de Herstal. This rifle has been more widely used by armed forces than any other rifle in history.
Characteristics[edit | edit source]
This rifle excels at long range combat, far exceeding the damage of the AK47, and with the M16A1 only having a slightly better range. It has a burst mode and uses 7.62 ammo, which is very common throughout the game.
Locations[edit | edit source]
- Can be found in two special encounters: Merchant and Pipboy.
- Found in Kansas City, where it is carried by many ghouls.
- One gun can be found in a chest outside the cathedral in Kansas City.
- One can be found in the bookshelves near Hanks body in the hut beside the entry point during the Junction City mission.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- The FN FAL is a battle rifle designed by the Belgian company Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal (FN prefix) after World War II.
- The rifle is based on a gas-operated mechanism. Selective fire modes were available when it was initially designed around intermediate power cartridges such as the German 7.92x33mm Kurz and the British .280 (7x43mm). Once NATO standardized on the more powerful 7.62x51mm round the FAL was successfully adapted to chamber it, but the selective fire capability was usually removed as the recoil proved uncontrollable when set to fully automatic.