| ||For an overview of assault rifle models in various games, see assault rifle.|
The FAL is a top-notch assault rifle. Although it lacks the range of the AK-112, a burst from the FAL will actually deal damage, unlike AK AP ammo without an AP fix patch, or AK JHP ammo with a fix patch, which both won't. The 7.62mm rounds it uses are pretty rare, though, so burst at your own discretion.
- The survival gear locker store in Gecko stocks this weapon, as well as ammo. The Merchant in Downtown New California Republic also stocks large amounts of ammo, as well as the superior FN FAL HPFA.
- Most of the Hubologists in combat armor carry either one of these, or a combat shotgun.
- A single Enclave soldier at Navarro carries one.
- Male raiders in the mercenaries' cave all carry these. The raider commanders carry AK-112's.
- Though not so ubiquitous as the Russian-designed AK47 and derivatives, the FAL was an extremely popular fire-arm and saw widespread deployment. The FAL was considered antiquated long before Great War, but the NCR Government ordered the continuation of production for the needs of NCR Army.
- Certain NPCs can add a thermal imager, resulting in a marginally superior weapon. The thermal image eliminates the accuracy penalties incurred due to darkness.
Behind the scenes
- The FN FAL is a battle rifle designed by Belgian company Fabrique Nationale (FN prefix) after World War II.
- The rifle is based on a gas-operated mechanism. Selective fire modes were available when it was initially designed around intermediate power cartridges such as the German 7.92x33mm Kurz and the British .280 (7x43mm). Once NATO standardized on the more powerful 7.62x51mm round the FAL was successfully adapted to chamber it, but the selective fire capability was usually removed as the recoil proved uncontrollable when set to fully automatic.