|For an overview of eyebots, see eyebot.|
One of the more elegant creations of RobCo Industries, the Eyebot is a hovering robot designed for a variety of purposes. On the surface, it was designed for giving consumers instant access to radio and television on the go. It uses a sophisticated antenna array to deliver the latest news bulletins and presidential addresses even in subterranean areas like subways. However, it was also outfitted with advanced facial and auditory recognition technology, making it a useful tool for surveillance and security.[Non-game 1] RALPHIE the Robot's Incredible Odyssey! was a popular Pre-War broadcast about the titular RALPHIE eyebot.
Although the design was compact and quite sophisticated, there was still room for Post-War expansion. The Enclave attempted to create a line of superior Duraframe Eyebots at Adams Air Force Base, but eventually scrapped the program, leaving one survivor. Usually found near settlements or cities, the automated bases of Hopeville and Ashton later reproduced these robots in number, creating dedicated repair and medical variants, showcasing the potential still remaining in the Eyebot.
Eyebots are spherical robots, slightly larger than a human head, with a large loudspeaker on the front, electrical zapper below it and several long antennas protruding from the top and back. They are used by the Enclave on the East Coast to broadcast propaganda, presidential speeches and patriotic marching music to the people of the Capital Wasteland in the form of a radio station operated by the Enclave.
Initially all eyebots are friendly, and will in fact attack enemies that engage the player or other wastelanders, making them a beneficial ally. However, once the player finishes the quest The Waters of Life, or engages them in combat, they may pose a threat; especially in the former case where they will turn hostile if any nearby Enclave patrols are under attack.
The eyebot is armed with a zapper, almost equal in strength to a laser pistol. It is extremely accurate with this weapon and will rarely miss, even over considerable distances. While not a very damaging opponent, the eyebot's mobility, small size and high accuracy can make it a threat if encountered by a low level player character. Fortunately, they are the most fragile robot in the game and are easily destroyed, even with bare fists. Eyebots don't seem to have a uniform level of strength, as some are killed by weak creatures like mole rats, while other pose a challenge to much stronger characters, such as raiders. When killed, an eyebot will explode, causing minor damage to anything nearby.
The normal eyebot encountered in the wastes is hardly a threat, except to very low level players: they have a weapon similar to the AEP7 laser pistol, and the least health of all the robots in the game.
Eyebots can be easily identified at a distance, as they emit a small buzzing sound from flying and constantly broadcast Enclave Radio, which consists of patriotic songs and John Henry Eden's speeches.
|Name (Base ID)||Statistics||Behavior||Abilities||Items|
- Eyebots that are disabled using the Robotics Expert perk will hover in the air instead of dropping to the ground.
- In the scavenger's house by the Charnel House, one can find a deactivated eyebot which can be looted for scrap metal.
- Crow will give the Lone Wanderer a helmet made out of an eyebot called Crow's eyebot helmet if they invest sufficiently in him during the unmarked quest Merchant Empire.
- In the Eyebot Spectators random encounter, two wastelanders are conversing over an Enclave eyebot, one of them stating "I bet it's spying on us." The wastelanders will have a lengthy discussion about how strange the eyebots are. Notably, this particular eyebot will in turn be observing them instead of patrolling as normal.
- Certain eyebots roaming the wastes may cause a Vertibird to land at the site and drop off a patrol should the player attack it. The chance of this is partially dependent on the player's Luck; a lower Luck makes a higher chance. Approximately 56 of the total 117 eyebots roaming the wastes may cause such an event if destroyed by the player.
- Some eyebots are stronger than others. While most will be easily dispatched by weak creatures, some, like the two outside of the Super-Duper Mart, can kill raiders with ease.
- If Raven Rock is destroyed, the eyebots will stop transmitting Enclave radio messages and only play static. However, the eyebots will still not attack the Lone Wanderer on sight, no matter what their reputation with the Enclave is.
- Eyebots are neutral to the Lone Wanderer, unless they attack an Enclave soldier in an eyebot's presence or there are Brotherhood of Steel personnel nearby.
- Eyebots are one of only two types of robot in Fallout 3 that cannot normally be looted once they are destroyed, the other being turrets, as both completely explode after their HP is depleted.
- It is possible to loot eyebots for scrap metal, but only in cases in which they are killed by a Critical Hit from an energy weapon, since this will turn the eyebot into goo or ash.
- Enclave eyebots are the only NPCs affiliated with the Enclave that can be met prior to completing The Waters of Life.
- A collectable model of the Fallout 3 eyebot can be found in Fallout 4.
Eyebots appear in Fallout 3.
Behind the scenes
Eyebots bear a resemblance to the Soviet-era satellite Sputnik 1.
- REPCONN headquarters placard: ""The 'I' in 'Eyebot.'""
"RobCo's always had an eye for robotics, and this little fellow is no different! This robotic marvel can not only recognize your face and voice with advanced facial and auditory recognition technology, it can also broadcast video and audio as well! Think of it - all the sights and sounds of your radio and TV in your living room at home blasted directly at you on the street, subway, bathroom, or wherever you may be! Never fear, you'll never miss a news bulletin or presidential address again, no matter where you are! Exhibit Brought to You By Your Friends at RobCo."
(Fallout: New Vegas message box transcriptions)
- Lonesome Road
- Fallout: The Roleplaying Game Rulebook p.359: "The eyebot is one of the smaller robots designed by RobCo Industries. Their spherical, hovering forms are a common sight in the wasteland. Despite their compact size, they are outfitted with a number of useful technologies; long range antennas that allow them to receive radio broadcasts even in subway stations or other underground sites, facial and voice recognition for use in security applications and even a laser weapon. In pre-War America they were used to broadcast radio transmissions, announcements, and news bulletins. Now these eyebots are in use by the likes of the Brotherhood of Steel to promote propaganda and by the Minutemen for surveillance. Others can are roaming the wastes still following their original programming and broadcasting the local radio station, military chatter on repeat or mysterious messages and frequencies from unknown sources. While often friendly when encountered, they will defend themselves if attacked and the degradation to their systems leads some units to be hostile on site. "