The Enclave remnants, in a broad sense, are any members left over from the Enclave after its string of defeats. In a narrow sense, the term refers to a small group of old Enclave veterans living in the Mojave Wasteland in 2281. They are what remains of the Enclave in the West after the Destruction of Control Station Enclave by the Chosen One in 2242 and the Sacking of Navarro during the NCR-Enclave War.
While many of the Enclave traveled east to Raven Rock after the Oil Rig's destruction,[Non-game 1] Officer Gannon (Arcade Gannon's father) had the future remnants stay at Camp Navarro. Officer Gannon would lose his life sometime after during a mission, but the remnants remained at Navarro for several years until they could stay no longer.
Some years after 2246, the NCR mounted a full invasion of Navarro that would later be known as the Sacking of Navarro. The remnants, Arcade Gannon, and Arcade's mother would flee from Navarro before the raid. Along with many other Enclave survivors, the remnants would attempt to integrate into the New California Republic, but the NCR would eventually learn of this demographic and the remnants were forced further and further onto the frontiers. Those that did not leave Navarro were killed outright. Many other Enclave members and their families would be pursued by bounty hunters and NCR rangers, and those that were not killed or captured by the NCR were eventually hunted down by the Brotherhood of Steel.
While Arcade Gannon and his mother went separate ways from the remnants, he has has kept contact with the remnants over the years. Captain Judah Kreger would lead the remnants to a small Vertibird refueling station hidden close to Mount Charleston. There they would stash their equipment and Vertibird in case a need arose for it, however their equipment would sit for decades as their lives carried on undisturbed.
Eventually, the surviving members settled in and around the Mojave Wasteland, where Arcade Gannon and former Captain Judah Kreger served to maintain the group's connection over the years. Judah Kreger explains that he was once the group's commanding officer, but that no one is required to follow his orders anymore. He reminisces about a time where the Enclave gave the group purpose, and that their goals were always focused on trying to civilize things.
By 2281, these were the only known surviving Enclave members in Mojave Wasteland. The Courier can convince the individual members of the Enclave remnants to reorganize and reunite for one final battle, another shot at glory, and a choice of either vindication (siding with the NCR), or vengeance (siding with Caesar's Legion).
Due to their affiliation with Enclave, a fascist paramilitary organization, the remnants are considered war criminals by the New California Republic and the Brotherhood of Steel and are actively hunted by Rangers, paladins, and bounty hunters alike. The Followers of the Apocalypse also do not tolerate former Enclave members and will force them out of their organization.
The NCR learned of former Enclave integrating into the country after the sacking of Navarro and began to pursue any remnants they could locate. This has made former Enclave remnants bury their past and retreat to the frontiers of the NCR so as to never expose their former association to the public in fear of their lives, such as Judah Kreger and Arcade Gannon. Other members living on the fringes or in unincorporated sections of the NCR away from NCR proper do not have to hide their association and will actively make it known to anyone who engages with them.
Through the choice of the Courier, the remnants can be convinced to either support the New California Republic or Caesar's Legion. If the Courier chooses to ask them to side with the NCR, Orion Moreno will express his hatred of the NCR and refuse to fight for them. If the Courier asks them to side with the Legion, Cannibal Johnson and Arcade Gannon will leave and there is no way to convince them to stay.
- Through the choice of the Courier, the remnants can be convinced to either support the New California Republic or Caesar's Legion.
- If they are asked to side with the NCR, Orion Moreno leaves the room. He is found just outside the briefing room in the hangar. He will talk about his hatred of the NCR and will refuse to fight for them. If the Courier has a Speech skill of 80 or a large amount of NCR infamy, Orion can be convinced to participate in the attack, otherwise, he will attack the player character and must be fought.
- If they are asked to side with the Legion, Cannibal Johnson and Arcade Gannon will leave with no way to convince them to stay. The Courier can then talk to Orion Moreno for training in power armor. Moreno will give them Johnson's suit since he will not be using it.
- Even though Arcade Gannon supports the idea of the Courier fighting for an independent New Vegas, there is no dialogue option to explicitly get the Enclave remnants to fight for New Vegas's independence, nor to assist Mr. House, who is similarly opposed to both the NCR and the Legion. In order to make an alliance between the remnants and Yes Man or Mr. House, they must be convinced to fight for NCR, since the path (battling eastwards through the Legion's ranks) and ultimate goal (killing Lanius) are still the same. However, Cannibal Johnson will turn hostile if the PC can not talk down General Oliver.
Interactions with the player character
- For Auld Lang Syne: The Courier has the option of making contact with Arcade's father's old squadmates in an effort to gain their support during the upcoming Second Battle of Hoover Dam. Once each member agrees to meet, they will share an individual part of a passphrase that when completed, grants access to their bunker.
- Gannon Senior - Commanding officer (KIA)
- Captain Judah Kreger - Commanding officer, found at Westside
- Doctor Henry - Scientist/combat engineer, found at Jacobstown
- Orion Moreno - Heavy weapons trooper, found at Orion Moreno's house in outer Vegas
- Cannibal Johnson - Designated squad marksman, found at Cannibal Johnson's cave in the eastern mountains
- Daisy Whitman - Vertibird pilot, found at Novac
- Arcade Gannon - Combat medic (optional), found at Old Mormon Fort
Narrated by Judah Kreger
|#||Slide||Voice-over narration||In-game condition|
|1||Despite surviving the destruction of the oil rig and the loss of their comrades at Navarro, the venerable Remnants were no match for the Courier. They carried the secrets of their old lives to their graves.||Kill the Enclave remnants.|
|2||After their bold arrival at Hoover Dam, the Remnants disappeared as quickly as they came. Legends of their power spread throughout the southwest, a reminder of why people once feared the sight of vertibirds in the sky.||Complete the quest For Auld Lang Syne, by convincing the Remnants to aid the NCR and complete any endgame.|
|3||Merciless in their assault on the NCR, the Remnants struck fear into the hearts of even the centurions at Hoover Dam. Well aware of the full extent of their power, Caesar commanded his troops to not pursue them.||Complete the quest For Auld Lang Syne, convince Remnants to aid the Legion, complete the quest Veni, Vidi, Vici for Caesar's Legion with Caesar alive.|
|4||Merciless in their assault on the NCR, the Remnants struck fear into the hearts of even the centurions at Hoover Dam. Caesar's heirs aggressively pursued the Remnants into Arizona, losing hundreds of legionaries in the process and gaining nothing in return.||Complete the quest For Auld Lang Syne, convince Remnants to aid the Legion, complete the quest Veni, Vidi, Vici for Caesar's Legion with Caesar's death.|
- Even if the remnants are killed during the Second Battle of Hoover Dam, the ending cutscene will show them all as being alive.
- Unlike Arcade Gannon, they will not comment on ED-E's presence despite them being former Enclave members.
- While the Enclave is stated as having relocated from New California to "a lot of different places" according to Arcade Gannon sometime after the events of Fallout 2, there were a few members that decided to linger behind in Camp Navarro, rather than accompanying Autumn Senior and the rest of the Enclave in their journey to the East Coast.
Behind the scenes
The remnants were at one point called the Devil's Brigade (as per Cannibal Johnson's dialogue file), but was simplified to just the Enclave Remnants at some point during development.
- Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition p.66: "Colonel Augustus Autumn
Autumn grew up on an oil rig off the California coast (the base of operations for the Enclave, the secretive contingent of the United States government that survived after the apocalypse). His father was the high-ranking Enclave scientist on orders from the president to move all high-ranking officials to the only other secure Enclave location with a functioning ZAX super-computer, Raven Rock. Colonel Autumn has proven to be far less subservient than his scientist father, often openly disagreeing with the president's decisions."
(Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition Wasteland Census)