|For other characters named Emily, see Emily.|
Background[edit | edit source]
Hailing from Arroyo, Emily Ortal is a member of the Followers of the Apocalypse, with an affinity for computers and related projects. She has been working in the Mojave since 2276, joining the Followers to do some good, as neither the OSI nor other NCR-aligned organizations funded research into medical technology unless it had military applications. The inflation and taxation in Republic territories also played a factor in her choice.
She is responsible for reprogramming Yes Man for Benny, making it connect to the network, but as an invisible peer, so that Mr. House wouldn't fry it remotely. Benny kicked her out of the Tops soon after choosing not to fulfill his end of the deal and ended their arrangement once he had what he wanted. What made it all the more embarrassing was a brief affair she had with him, chalked up to sleep deprivation and one atomic cocktail too many.
Interactions with the player character[edit | edit source]
Interactions overview[edit | edit source]
|This character is a doctor.|
|This character starts quests.|
Quests[edit | edit source]
- The Moon Comes Over the Tower: Emily Ortal will approach the Courier outside of the Lucky 38 casino, and will ask for them to bug one of Mr. House's computers in order to obtain medical data. At this point, her request may be accepted without an extra reward, or when passing a 40 Barter check, the Courier may acquire several medical supplies from her as payment.
Other interactions[edit | edit source]
- A dialogue option exists where the player can pass an (Intelligence 6) check to ask how Emily made it onto the Strip. She will explain that the matter of Mr. House's technology was important enough that the Followers managed to scrape together enough caps for the credit check.
Inventory[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
|The following is based on bugged content.|
- A dialogue option exists in the G.E.C.K. where the Courier could pass a (Perception 6) check to learn that Emily slept with Benny thanks to "sleep deprivation and one atomic cocktail too many," along with sympathetic and mean responses that grant positive or negative Karma accordingly. However, the game was accidentally set to check Emily's Perception, not the Courier's. Using a console command like ModAV Perception 1 or ForceAV Perception 6 on Emily prior to dialogue will allow the dialogue option to appear.
|End of information based on bugged content.|
- When the quest from her has been finished and after returning later to talk to her, the Courier is able to keep repeating a Speech challenge about how she bugged Mr. House the first time, although should dialogue be ended, further interactions will be met with generic responses.
- During the Barter check, the Courier actually uses the name given to them by the player character in the text ("Dr. (name) diagnoses a terminally low discussion of caps in this conversation.") This is one of the few moments where this occurs.
- If after leaving the Lucky 38 with Emily present and not previously talked to, and should one manage to sidestep her and manually leave the Strip, she will follow the Courier across the entire wasteland and trigger the dialogue to start the quest "The Moon Comes Over the Tower." (Just fast travel to any location and wait about 10 hours.)
Notable quotes[edit | edit source]
- "Of course, no one is allowed inside the Lucky 38, so no one knows what's going on. Well, except for you."
- "Here, take this packet sniffer. It will allow us to intercept data on Mr. House's network. You might have to manually remove the encryption from his data network, but hopefully you won't have too much trouble. Good luck!"
- "True. All right. The first try was a little less "professional". Someone important on the Strip had access to some of House's technology. Specifically, a Securitron. And more specifically, the "someone" was Benny. I know, I know... he shot you in the head and everything. But this was a while ago. I knew he was sleazy, but I didn't realize he was so cold-blooded." – Courier asking to be rewarded with information after getting the data feed
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Emily Ortal appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- PC Playstation 3 Xbox 360 Sometimes Emily may not appear in-game. [verified]
- PC Xbox 360 After bugging Mr. House's computer network, Emily Ortal may not appear outside the Lucky 38, where the quest objective is. [verified]
- On PC, she can be made to reappear by typing: prid 0011904f and enable.
- PC Playstation 3 Xbox 360 Sometimes Emily will spawn inside the Presidential Suite and/or the casino at the Lucky 38. [verified]
- PC Emily can sometimes be found at The Fort, after the drawbridge, where she will make her request for The Moon Comes Over the Tower. If this is the case the player may then need to return there to complete the quest. [verified]
- PC Playstation 3 Xbox 360 The first conversation with Emily will act as if she's already asked the Courier to bug Mr. House's, and was rejected. This may have to do with the order you do the quests in. (Likely to happen if Benny is not killed at the Tops.) [verified]
- PC Xbox 360 Emily appears at the gates of the Sierra Madre Casino at the end of Dead Money before you travel back to the Wasteland, ending the add-on. This makes the quest impossible to complete as she will wait there, and the player cannot return to the Sierra Madre after the end of the DLC.
- On PC, this can be changed using the console. [verified]
- PC Xbox 360 Sometimes Emily will disappear and respawn in the Nellis array inexplicably. The quest can still be completed, however, the game may place her waypoint at Old Mormon Fort before redirecting you to the Nellis array. She spawns inside the array entrance with her normal dialogue. If you complete her quest, she will simply leave, and try to manually walk back to the Old Mormon Fort, but will be killed if you do not fast travel before she hits the artillery zone.[verified]
- PC Xbox 360 After completing the quest The Moon Comes Over the Tower, you can talk with her about what happened during her previous attempt at fulfilling her task, and you'll eventually have the possibility of making infinite speech challenges. If your speech skill is 35 or more, you can win as many of these speech challenges as you want, since they make up an infinite loop of experience winnings. [verified]
- PC Xbox 360 Emily may sometimes appear inside the REPCONN headquarters to give the Courier the quest The Moon Comes Over the Tower. [verified]
References[edit | edit source]
- The Courier: "How long have you been with the Followers?"
Emily Ortal: "About five years now. I have family back in Arroyo, but this is where all of the good work is being done, so to speak. NCR taxes and inflation have been hard for a lot of people to deal with, and most of the money is going to the war effort. There's not much funding for medical research with OSI or any other group - not unless it has a military application, anyway."
(Emily Ortal's dialogue) Emily Ortal is referring to NCR taxation and inflation in Arroyo, which is only possible, if Arroyo is a part of the NCR.
- The Courier: "Tell me again about Benny's Securitron."
Emily Ortal: "Not much to tell. Benny had one of Mr. House's Securitrons, deactivated, and wanted it switched back on. He had heard I was interested in Mr. House's technology so he hit me up... so to speak."
(Emily Ortal's dialogue)
- The Courier: "Did something... happen between you two?"
Emily Ortal: "Ugh. So gross. It was bad enough that I didn't get any data out of the Securitron. This is why I didn't want to talk about it. It only happened once. I chalk it up to sleep deprivation and one atomic cocktail too many."
(Emily Ortal's dialogue)