|For an overview of Tesla cannons, see Tesla cannon.|
The Tesla cannon is a pre-War designed shoulder-mounted heavy directed energy weapon, designed to replace conventional anti-tank weapons. Based on Nikola Tesla's designs, the weapon entered limited production before the war and remains a rare sight in the wasteland. However, it remains a powerful tool in the hands of a skilled user, as the focused energy blast will not only deliver massive damage to the target, but the nature of the blast will also deliver a potent electric shock.
Near the end of the war between the Brotherhood and the Enclave in the Capital Wasteland, the Brotherhood's scribes under the Order of the Sword worked to build their own Tesla cannons to more effectively counter the Enclave's Vertibird fleet. To do so, the Lone Wanderer was tasked with retrieving a PPE Tesla coil from Olney Powerworks, an experimental piece of pre-War technology.
The modified Tesla cannon employed by Lyons' Brotherhood of Steel is far more powerful than the pre-War Tesla cannon. Discharging a large electrical impulse upon impact with a much larger area of effect. This explosive damage makes the Lyon's model far more suitable for anti-Vertibird use.
This weapon is identical in appearance to the Tesla-Beaton prototype, although its damage is between that and the regular Tesla cannon. It also holds more ammunition, allowing for six shots to be fired before reloading and is more durable than the Tesla-Beaton prototype, while only inflicting slightly less damage. It has the benefit of no spread at all, allowing for accurate fire if the skill requirements are met. Even though the weapon is slightly more practical than its counterparts in direct combat, its high value and low durability make it the most costly model to maintain with repeated use.
Elijah's jury-rigged Tesla cannon can fire a total of about 245 times using standard Electron charge packs, the equivalent of 41 reloads, from full condition before breaking.
|- Weapon name (melee or unarmed)||- Attacks in V.A.T.S.|
|- Weapon name (gun, energy or explosive)||- Action point cost|
|- Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||- Damage per action point|
|- Damage per second||- Weapon spread|
|- Area of effect damage||- Magazine capacity (shots per reload)|
|- Effect damage & duration||- Durability (number of attacks before breaking)|
|- Bonus effects||- Weight|
|- Attacks per second||- Value in caps|
|- Critical chance % multiplier||- Value to weight ratio|
|- Critical damage||- Skill required|
|- Critical effect damage & duration||- Strength required|
|- With all mods attached|
|Elijah's jury-rigged Tesla cannon||85||154.2||+20/2s||1.58||x2||45||37||3.4||0.00||30(6)||245||8||13500||1687.5||100||8|
- After picking up the Tesla cannon up to five damaged or berserk Securitrons will spawn nearby.
- This weapon has very low health so it degrades in condition very quickly.
- Due to it previously firing only one shot per reload, it ejects electron charge packs every shot which is strange considering only one is loaded. Also, the electron charge pack will not appear after one shot is fired, and the end of the cannon is retracted, but it still ejects another per shot.
- Despite the name, Elijah's jury-rigged Tesla cannon cannot be Jury Rigged with any other weapon, it can only be repaired with the standard version.
- This weapon is one of two weapons in the game that has no spread, the other being the alien blaster.
- Future Weapons Today
- Plot of Shock Value.
- The Lone Wanderer: "Olney Powerworks? What's there?"
Tristan: "Hopefully you'll be able to find a Tesla coil, an experimental device from before the war. Our scribes need it to complete a little surprise they've been preparing for the Enclave. Get there, get the coil, and get back as safely and quickly as possible. Any questions?"
- Gameplay differences between the Tesla cannon in Broken Steel and the Tesla cannon in Fallout: New Vegas, as well as Tristan's dialogue confirm this as the modification necessitating the Tesla coil.