Infobox incomplete (Dialogue - redlink)
The infobox template in this article is missing some required data. You can help Nukapedia by filling it in.
Prior to the Great War, Duchess worked in medical practitioning as a nurse, specifically in ER, for three years. After leaving the profession, Duchess found a new calling as a drug kingpin operating out of Welch, dealing chems such as Buffout. Her operation was large and successful enough to attract attention from government agencies, including the Bureau of Alcohol, Drugs, Tobacco, Firearms and Lasers, though she managed to evade investigators through bribes and blackmail. She also had a hand in the automation riots by procuring weaponry for the blue-collar miners.
If she is asked about her life before the war, she will mention that she worked in pharmaceuticals and "made some friends and lots of enemies." She wants to put her old life behind her, commenting that the Duchess in Welch disappeared when the bombs dropped, a symbol for erasing her past.
In 2103, Duchess is the owner of the Wayward, a tavern and inn near the overseer's camp in the Forest. Recently, she has been experiencing problems with aggressive patrons questioning her about someone named Crane. She is known to make her own alcohol, which she sells to customers.
Interactions with the player character
|This character is essential. Essential characters cannot be killed.|
|This character starts quests.|
|This character is involved in quests.|
- Duchess is first found in her tavern, the Wayward, just across the road from the overseer's camp, being held at gunpoint by Batter, demanding information on someone named Crane. Luckily for Duchess, her good friend, the ghoul Mort, ambushes and kills Batter, saving Duchess' life, even if the player character intervenes and tries to talk Batter down, most options in conversation lead to the same result in Mort killing Batter with his 10mm pistol, or through a joint effort with the player characters. After which, she can be spoken to by the Vault Dwellers about the incident, and she asks them to help her out by luring members of Batter's group to their C.A.M.P. to find out who their leader is and deal with him so she won't have to deal with them badgering her regarding Crane anymore. She also serves as one of the new vendors in the game, selling various goods from her tavern, including Duchess's Dram, her own personal brand of liquor.
- If notes about the Duchess of Welch have been discovered, the player character can ask Duchess if they're the same person. Duchess explains that she is not the same person (i.e. she's turned a new leaf) and that the Duchess of Welch from before the Great War is not the same person she is now, and deeply regrets the suffering she's caused as a former drug kingpin.
- Visit with Officer Whitehead
- Mordecai McCoy: "How's the leg, Sol?"
Sol: "Getting there. Won't be winning any foot races for a while. But Duchess took a look at it. Said she used to be a nurse back in the day."
Mordecai McCoy: "Duchess? Our Duchess?"
Sol: "Apparently. Seems like she dressed the wound well enough. I don't think she was yanking my chain."
Mordecai McCoy: "No shit. "
Duchess: " "
Mordecai McCoy: " "
- Case notes: Duchess
- Surveillance system tape - 8/08/77
- Your order's arrived
- Vault Dweller: "There was a woman down in Welch who went by the name Duchess. Any relation?"
Duchess: " "
- Inside the Vault - Meet Duchess and Mort