|For an overview of shotguns in the Fallout series of games, see Shotgun.|
A shotgun, also called a "scattergun," is a firearm designed to shoot a multitude of lead or steel balls of varying sizes, greatly increasing the weapon's hit potential. This makes it very effective at hunting game. However, the accuracy and power found at close range starts to diminish as the target gets farther away. Shotguns designed for the military's use are often called "combat shotguns."
Unlike the sawed-off shotgun, the double-barrel has both its barrel and stock intact, yet is quite rusty and still requiring a metal strap to keep the forearm and barrels together. The gun fires both barrels at once, which forces one to reload immediately after each shot, though it has a short reload time of 0.8 seconds. The drawback to this is ammunition consumption, as again, each shot expends two shells.
This means that while The Terrible Shotgun has only two chances to jam after a full spent magazine, the double-barrel shotgun has 57.
The double-barrel shotgun has an object effect which inflicts an extra 35 damage per hit when used by non-player characters against the Lone Wanderer. However, unlike other Point Lookout weapons affected by this additional damage, the double-barrel shotgun applies this damage per pellet, making it possible for the weapon to apply an extra 315 damage if all 9 pellets strike the player character. Additionally, this damage ignores Damage Resistance and is independent of the condition of the weapon, making it especially deadly in the hands of swampfolk and other non-player characters.
A fully repaired double barrel shotgun will begin to jam after 50 shots, almost halfway through the gun's health and fully break after 118 shots.
- Sawed-off shotgun - a shorter double-barrel shotgun, sawed-off with a pistol-like grip attached.
- The Kneecapper - a unique sawed-off shotgun, wielded by Ronald Laren in Girdershade.
- Pa's Fishing Aid - a unique version of the double-barrel shotgun that was cut from the game.
|- Weapon name (melee or unarmed)||- Attacks in V.A.T.S.|
|- Weapon name (gun, energy or explosive)||- Action point cost|
|- Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||- Damage per action point|
|- Damage per second||- Weapon spread|
|- Area of effect damage||- Magazine capacity (shots per reload)|
|- Effect damage & duration||- Durability (number of attacks before breaking)|
|- Bonus effects||- Weight|
|- Attacks per second||- Value in caps|
|- Critical chance % multiplier||- Value to weight ratio|
|- Critical damage||- Skill required|
|- Critical effect damage & duration||- Strength required|
|- With all mods attached|
- One may be found relatively early in the add-on inside the naval recruiting center. One can also be found in the sea cave in a surfaced wooden boat containing a skeleton, shotgun shells and pre-War money.
- It is also obtainable at the Homestead Motel, in the main lobby behind the counter and in room 1G.
- The tribals that invade Calvert Mansion during The Local Flavor quest also carry this weapon, as do various swampfolk.
- There is also one on the porch of Marguerite's shack, on a small table.
- Can be purchased from several merchants across Point Lookout.
- During the quest Hearing Voices, several shotguns can be found in the sea cave on the floor in the room where you encounter Jackson.
- The model for the double-barrel appears to be that of a sawed-off shotgun but with full length barrel and the stock of a combat shotgun.
- The double-barrel shotgun cannot be repaired with the sawed-off shotgun.