The infobox template in this article is missing some required data. You can help Nukapedia by filling it in.
| ||For other characters in the Fallout universe named Dogmeat, see Dogmeat.|
Currently, no information is known about Dogmeat's past and whether or not he had an owner. However, Mama Murphy tells the Sole Survivor the dog's name, suggests that he was traveling with Preston Garvey's group and reveals that Dogmeat was sent out to look for help when they became trapped in Concord, which would imply that he belonged to either Preston Garvey himself, or the Minutemen in general. True to this suggestion, if Dogmeat is recruited at Red Rocket, he will try to move toward Concord when standing still, although ultimately where the Sole Survivor goes is up to them and this can be ignored.
In addition, several other dogs can be recruited as companions with the same characteristics as Dogmeat. These include varying breeds such as the mongrel, rottweiler, and boxer. One has to find an NPC named Gene and he will offer to sell the dog for 250 caps after a medium speech check (for the Rottweiler and Boxer).
To obtain a mongrel, one has to wander around non-populated areas such as forests around Sanctuary Hills. An injured mongrel will be encountered and the player has the option to stimpak him. The Sole Survivor will dub the mongrel Sparky and will then become a companion. However, if a companion is already present, the mongrel will glitch and not be available for recruitment.
Interactions with the player character
|This character is essential. Essential characters cannot be killed.|
|This character is a temporary companion.|
|This character is a permanent companion. They grant the - perk.|
|This character is a doctor.|
|This character is a merchant.||Caps: -|
|This character can repair items.||Repair cap: -|
|This character can modify weapons.||
|This character rents beds.||Cost: - caps.|
|This character starts quests.||
|This character is involved in quests.|
Like every companion character, the Sole Survivor can command Dogmeat to do certain tasks, such as commanding him to go to a certain location of the Sole Survivor's choosing or fetching an item for the player character. Dogmeat can also do tricks.
Dogmeat can be equipped with a variety of cosmetic items.
|Chain dog collar||Dogmeat|
|Dog helmet||Dogmeat||Heavy armored dog at Hyde Park||Armored Dog at Thicket Excavations|
|Double dog collar||Dogmeat|
|Gunner's camo bandana||Everyone|
|Gunner's green bandana||Everyone|
|Heavy dog armor||Dogmeat|
|Leopard print bandana||Everyone|
|Light dog armor||Dogmeat|
|Stars and Stripes bandana||Everyone|
|Spiked dog collar||Dogmeat|
Effects of player's actions
- Dogmeat is found at a Red Rocket station near Sanctuary Hills and can be recruited as a companion.
- By reading the Astoundingly Awesome Tales, the Sole Survivor can boost Dogmeat with perks, which reduce damage dealt to him.
Range of interests
Dogmeat loves the Sole Survivor unconditionally, and thus is neither negatively nor positively influenced by their actions. As of the base game, he is the only companion (aside from temporary NPCs in the party) who is considered true neutral.
- After first encountering Dogmeat, he will just be named "Dog". However, later on, Mama Murphy mentions to the Sole Survivor that Dogmeat is his real name.
- If this conversation is missed, Dogmeat will be permanently named "Dog". However, during the quest Reunions, Dogmeat is referred to by his name whether or not the Sole Survivor had the relevant conversation with Mama Murphy. He will then be named Dogmeat from that point on.
- When the player character is rebuilding a site, they can place a dog house for him to stay in. If he is dismissed to a settlement before that he will go and live in or around one of the existing dog houses.
- Unlike other companions, Dogmeat does not react to the Sole Survivor's actions or choices.
- Unlike his Fallout 3 counterpart, Dogmeat cannot die and will simply become incapacitated when his health drops too low.
- Dogmeat's health can be healed during battle if a stimpak is used on him.
- Dogmeat is able to "fetch", detecting the surrounding for the choice of items, enemies or containers. Upon finding something, Dogmeat will either stand in front of the item (if on floor), bite the enemy (triggers enemy detection) or pull out the items from the container.
- This can be exploited to get items early, such as the Cryolator.
- If a teddy bear is put into his inventory, Dogmeat will play with it for a few seconds upon exiting the Inventory menu and randomly thereafter.
- Dogmeat can stun and maul enemies during combat.
- The Attack Dog perk allows Dogmeat to hold an enemy in place, giving the player character greater opportunity to hit them.
- While Dogmeat is technically a companion, the benefits of Lone Wanderer still apply if the Sole Survivor adventures with Dogmeat.
- One of Dogmeat's idle animations is to track an insect buzzing nearby and then snap at it.
- Dogmeat can duplicate items with an exploit that involves commanding him to fetch an item, and when Dogmeat begins his pickup animation, the item is quickly taken right before the animation finishes, and Dogmeat will drop the item, even though it was already taken, which results in duplicating the item.
- This works on any item, including the You're SPECIAL! book resulting in infinite points that can be put into each basic perk.
- If Dogmeat is sent back to a settlement (by dismissal) and is then asked to trade, the Sole Survivor will refer to him by his real name, regardless of whether they know it yet.
Behind the scenes