The infobox template in this article is missing some required data. You can help Nukapedia by filling it in.
| ||For other characters in the Fallout universe named Dogmeat, see Dogmeat.|
Currently, no information is known about Dogmeat's past and whether or not he had an owner. However, Mama Murphy tells the Sole Survivor the dog's name, suggests that he was travelling with Preston Garvey's group, and reveals that Dogmeat was sent out to look for help when they became trapped in Concord. (Coincidentally, as he can be taken anywhere once accepted as a companion and the quest to help the Minutemen can be skipped, he potentially does not do a very good job of fetching assistance.) This suggests that Dogmeat may have belonged to a member of Preston Garvey's group or the group as a whole.
Interactions with the player character
|This character is essential. Essential characters cannot be killed.|
|This character is a temporary companion.|
|This character is a permanent companion. They grant the - perk.|
|This character is a doctor.|
|This character is a merchant.||Caps: -|
|This character can repair items.||Repair cap: -|
|This character can modify weapons.||
|This character rents beds.||Cost: - caps.|
|This character starts quests.||
|This character is involved in quests.|
The Sole Survivor can command Dogmeat to do certain tasks, such as commanding him to go to a certain location of the Sole Survivor's choosing or fetching an item for the player character. In addition, Dogmeat can do certain tricks.
Dogmeat can be equipped with a variety of cosmetic items.
|Chain dog collar||Everyone|
|Dog collar||Dogmeat||Place in Dogmeat's inventory then select Equip in Menu to Equip on Dogmeat|
|Dog Helmet||Dogmeat||Heavy armored dog at Hyde Park|
|Double dog collar||Dogmeat|
|Gunner's camo bandana||Everyone|
|Gunner's green bandana||Everyone|
|Light dog armor||Dogmeat|
|Stars and Stripes bandana||Everyone|
|Spiked dog collar||Dogmeat|
Effects of player's actions
- Dogmeat is found at a Red Rocket station near Sanctuary Hills and can be recruited as a companion.
- By reading the Astoundingly Awesome Tales, the Sole Survivor can boost Dogmeat with perks, which reduce damage dealt to him.
Dogmeat loves you unconditionally.
- After first encountering Dogmeat, he will just be named "Dog". However, later on, Mama Murphy mentions to the Sole Survivor that Dogmeat is his real name.
- If this conversation is missed, Dogmeat will be permanently named "Dog". However, during the quest Reunions, Dogmeat is referred to by his name whether or not the Sole Survivor had the relevant conversation with Mama Murphy. He will then be named Dogmeat from that point on.
- When the player character is rebuilding a site, they can place a dog house for him to stay in. If he is dismissed to a settlement before that he will go and live in or around one of the existing dog houses.
- Unlike other companions, Dogmeat does not react to the Sole Survivor's actions and/or choices.
- Unlike his Fallout 3 counterpart, Dogmeat cannot die and will simply become incapacitated when his health drops too low.
- Dogmeat's health can be healed during battle if a stimpak is used on him.
- Dogmeat is able to "fetch", detecting the surrounding for the choice of items, enemies or containers. Upon finding something, Dogmeat will either stand in front of the item (if on floor), bite the enemy (triggers enemy detection) or pull out the items from the container.
- If a teddy bear is put into his inventory, Dogmeat will play with it for a few seconds upon exiting the Inventory menu and randomly thereafter.
- Dogmeat can stun and maul enemies during combat.
- The Attack Dog perk allows Dogmeat to hold an enemy in place, giving the player greater opportunity to hit them.
- Dogmeat can wear select articles of clothing, such as bandanas, welding goggles, collars, muzzles, and dog armor.
This Dogmeat appears in Fallout 4.
Behind the scenes