The infobox template in this article is missing some required data. You can help Nukapedia by filling it in.
| ||For other characters in the Fallout universe named Dogmeat, see Dogmeat.|
Currently, no information is known about Dogmeat's past and whether or not he had an owner. However, Mama Murphy is the one to tell the Sole Survivor his name and also suggests that he was with them and was sent to look for help when first met (Coincidentally, as he can be taken anywhere and that quest skipped, he did not do a very good job of letting the Sole Survivor know there was a need for them to go there), suggesting that he belonged to a member of the group or the group as a whole.
Interactions with the player character
|This character is essential. Essential characters cannot be killed.|
|This character is a temporary companion.|
|This character is a permanent companion. They grant the - perk.|
|This character is a doctor.|
|This character is a merchant.||Caps: -|
|This character can repair items.||Repair cap: -|
|This character can modify weapons.||
|This character rents beds.||Cost: - caps.|
|This character starts quests.||
|This character is involved in quests.|
The Sole Survivor can command Dogmeat to do certain tasks, such as commanding him to go to a certain location of the Sole Survivor's choosing or fetching an item for the player character. In addition, Dogmeat can do certain tricks.
Dogmeat can be equipped with a variety of cosmetic items.
|Chain dog collar||Everyone|
|Dog collar||Dogmeat||Place in Dogmeat's inventory then select Equip in Menu to Equip on Dogmeat|
|Double dog collar||Dogmeat|
|Gunner's camo bandana||Everyone|
|Gunner's green bandana||Everyone|
|Light dog armor||Dogmeat|
|Spiked dog collar||Dogmeat|
Effects of player's actions
- Dogmeat is found at a Red Rocket station near Sanctuary Hills and can be recruited as a companion.
- By reading the Astoundingly Awesome Tales, the Sole Survivor can boost Dogmeat with perks, which reduce damage dealt to him.
Dogmeat loves you unconditionally.
- After first encountering Dogmeat, he will just be named "Dog". However, later on, Mama Murphy mentions to the Sole Survivor that Dogmeat is his real name.
- If this conversation is missed, Dogmeat will be permanently named "Dog". However, during the quest Reunions, Dogmeat is referred to by his name whether or not the player had the relevant conversation with Mama Murphy. He will then be named Dogmeat from that point on.
- When the player character is rebuilding a site, they can place a dog house for him to stay in. If he is dismissed to a settlement before that he will go and live in or around one of the existing dog houses.
- Unlike other companions, Dogmeat does not react to the Sole Survivor's actions and/or choices.
- Unlike his Fallout 3 counterpart, Dogmeat cannot die and will simply become unconscious when his health drops too low.
- Dogmeat is able to "fetch", detecting the surrounding for the choice of items, enemies or containers. Upon finding something, Dogmeat will either stand in front of the item (if on floor), bite the enemy (triggers enemy detection) or pull out the items from the container.
- If a teddy bear is put into his inventory, Dogmeat will play with it for a few seconds upon exiting the Inventory menu.
- Dogmeat can stun and maul enemies during combat.
- The Attack Dog perk allows Dogmeat to hold an enemy in place, giving the player greater opportunity to hit them.
- Dogmeat can wear select articles of clothing, such as bandanas, welding goggles, collars, muzzles, and dog armor.
- Dogmeat cannot die, he will simply be incapacitated until his health is regenerated.
- Dogmeat's health can be healed faster if a stimpak is used on him.
This Dogmeat appears only in Fallout 4.
Behind the scenes