Dog is a psychologically disturbed nightkin who helps Father Elijah by capturing "assistants" for him and fitting them with explosive collars in 2281. His alternate personality, God (referred to by the former as simply "the voice"), is trying to break Dog free of Elijah's grasp.
The "Dog" personality can be triggered by the sound of Father Elijah's voice, and the "God" personality is triggered by the sound of his own voice (via holotape or radio). When one personality is dominant, the other is said to be in "the cage" or "the basement."
Background[edit | edit source]
The origins of Dog/God (let alone his actual name) prior to Unity are unknown. What is known is that he was a member of the Master's elite Nightkin. Like the rest of the mutant army, he was psychically linked to the Master and conditioned to slavishly serve him until death. With the destruction of the Mariposa Military Base, then the Cathedral, and the subsequent loss of connection to the commanders, his grip on reality broke and the two personalities emerged.
The one personality is Dog, a slavish, childlike character of pure instinct, built from the conditioning the Master bred its army with. The other, God, is the subconscious voice of reason. As the years went by, the Dog personality would constantly get into trouble, wandering, eating, and listening to those he shouldn't. His ravenous hunger can only be described as gluttonous. Once he starts to feed, anyone and anything that Dog hunts will be crushed, mangled and twisted until he is satiated in an act of uncontrolled greed. He knows that he does wrong, but simply can't help himself. Eventually the voice of reason couldn't stand the constant self imperilment, nor the cannibalism, and began to emerge to counter Dog. Dog, in response, began self mutilation, eventually going so far as to carve the name Elijah gave him on his chest to remind himself who he is, the pain serving to stifle the "other voice." However, as time passed, the other voice became stronger and stronger, and consequently it took more and more pain to stifle the God personality.
Dog's hunger would always drive him to the surface, but when the hunger was satiated and/or fatigue set in, God would emerge. Dog is unaware that the God personality is actually a part of him. He refers to the personality as climbing into his head and constantly being mean to him in a misinterpretation of God's attempt at protecting him from harm by locking Dog away. Despite this, God continues to try to protect Dog, seeing him as his younger sibling. Both personalities would grow to resent the suppression of the other being in control, each referring to the other putting them in the cage, or the basement. While in the cage, each personality would only perceive glimpses of the others actions. This has had the effect of allowing the personalities to keep secrets from each other. This, however, is both a "gift" and a curse, for while it helps keep strategic ignorance it only exacerbates the animosity between the two.
Although God likes to think that he was the original personality, he is completely unsure. While he is in control, he refers to the body as a "shell" and states that it is hard to fight in. This may be a consequence of God being the culmination of the self preservation and reasoning instincts. Calm, articulate, and controlling, God seeks to eliminate Elijah to free himself from the need for a master and to eliminate his greedy ravenous hunger. In contrast, Dog seeks to eliminate the God personality so that he may become pure instinct, and gorge to his contentment on his master's affection and food. As a result, God has developed a hatred for greed, although neither could hide the bloodlust. Whether it's Elijah's, Dean Domino's, or the Courier's.
Section needed (Dog/God's time working for Elijah at the Madre, then his time with the Courier)
This section is needed but has not been written yet. You can help Nukapedia by writing it.
Interactions with the player character[edit | edit source]
Interactions overview[edit | edit source]
|This character is essential. Essential characters cannot be killed. Status expires when Put the Beast Down begins.|
|This character is a permanent companion. They grant the Ravenous Hunger (as Dog) or In My Footsteps (as God) perk.|
|This character is involved in quests.|
Quests[edit | edit source]
- Find Collar 8: "Dog": The Courier has to travel to the Villa police station and recruit Dog or God.
- Fires in the Sky: The Courier has to escort Dog or God to Salida del Sol South to Trigger the Gala Event and hunt down some ghost people for Dog or God to eat.
- Put the Beast Down: The Courier must confront Dog or God in the Sierra Madre Casino & Resort.
Other interactions[edit | edit source]
After recruiting Dog and watching him kill and consume one of the ghost people, the Courier can talk to Dog and, after going through a few speech options, receive the Ghost Hunter perk from him. However, if they have the Cannibal perk, it is possible to get the Ghost Hunter perk from him without fighting.
Endings[edit | edit source]
|#||Slide||Voice-over narration||In-game condition|
|1||When Dog fell in the Sierra Madre casino, two died as one. Dog died hungry, alone, frightened. The voice in his head died with him. Screaming. Furious. Enraged. But the voice was gone, and Dog was grateful. At least Dog was dead and the voice needed to watch over him no more. In the moment before their lives ended, the wall between the two personalities fell. The two became silent as they saw the chain between them. Hunger and control are twin greeds, something Dog and his shadow had never realized.||Dog is dead.|
|2||Dog forgot himself, as did the voice that raged within him. After their passing, a new voice spoke within the mutant's shell. It was difficult for the voice to remember the two it once was... there was the beast, Dog consumed by hunger... ...and the other in reverse... the one consumed by control. Both were driven by need for the other. The Courier brought them together, somehow, joined the two into one. All that happened at the Sierra Madre, was a faint memory to the new personality... like a flickering light in the clouds of the mind. The new voice did not think of the Courier again until the battle at the Divide reached his ears. The battle between the two couriers, beneath the torn skies and the Old World flag... each bearing a message for the other. And the mutant prayed the Courier that had saved him... had been saved in return.||Dog is alive, God is alive.|
|3||Dog, free of the voice inside his head and no longer waiting on the voice of the Master, wandered back West. His hunger never ended. Often, small communities would suddenly vanish. They were assumed to have been hit by Wasteland creatures and dragged away... dogs, brahmin, and humans alike.||Only Dog is alive.|
|4||Freed of both Dog and the one who held Dog's leash, the other voice resumed control. First the mind, then finally, the mutant's shell. His first act was to tend to the scars on the body with careful hands, slowly healing all the scars except the ragged name torn on his chest. He briefly thought of remaining at the Sierra Madre. But it was a monument built by humans, representing something he no longer needed. He began walking west, in search of others like him. As he did, he spoke of the courier who had set him free and allowed his life to begin again.||Only God is alive.|
Inventory[edit | edit source]
|Apparel||Weapon||Other items||On death|
Much like Lily Bowen, Dog and God are limited in the weapons they can use. These weapons are:
- Assault carbine
- Assault carbine (GRA)
- Baseball bat (GRA)
- Bumper sword
- Frag grenade
- Gatling laser
- Sprtel-Wood 9700
- Light machine gun
- Lily's assault carbine
- Lily's Vertibird blade
- Lily's gauntlet
- CZ57 Avenger
- Nail board
- Plasma grenade
- Rebar club
- Nuka Breaker
- Super sledge
- Mean super sledge
- Oh, Baby!
Since Dog/God cannot equip any weapons unique to Dead Money and outside weapons cannot be brought into the Sierra Madre, Dog/God are effectively restricted to Unarmed fighting, frag grenades, and the sledgehammer.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Dog is set to level as the Courier does, and will reach a maximum level of 45 depending on the order in which each add-on is completed (Dead Money being completed last/close to last). God also levels with the protagonist, but has no maximum allowed level, and also has no minimum level either. Because of this, God/Dog has an extremely high amount of hit points at very high levels, in his God incarnation more than any other enemy in the game save for the legendary bloatfly or X-42 giant robo-scorpion. This, combined with his inside 30% DR, can make him a very powerful opponent if the Courier is forced to fight him towards the end of Dead Money.
- Dog is actually smaller than God, set to a scale of 0.9, whereas God is a normal scale of 1. Like Lily Bowen, Dog and God are both noticeably shorter than a normal super mutant, although they still stand a head taller than a normal human, in order to traverse narrow terrain as human-sized followers do.
- Dog and God have different combat-related personal perks. Dog has the typical nightkin's 30% DR, while God's health regenerates over time.
- When Dog is dominant, he will occasionally refer to the Mariposa Military Base and the Cathedral in idle dialogue, stating that he misses the base and the church.
- If the Courier has the Cannibal perk, they can ask God what the ghost people taste like. He will reply that they taste like plastic and copper.
- While Dog/God are in fact a mentally disturbed nightkin with dissociative identity disorder (something that likely started developing when the Master died in Fallout), Elijah seems to be under the impression that he is merely a normal second-generation FEV mutant. God has given him this impression by cleverly not speaking aloud whenever Elijah is listening, exposing him only to Dog's personality, who acts like any second-generation mutant.
- If Dog/God has throwable explosives (e.g. frag grenades) in his inventory, he will use one initially in combat against ghost people, but is then unable to attack when they get close enough to melee.
- When God is asked about Elijah, it becomes apparent that he knows about HELIOS One and Elijah's failing there.
- Dog/God has a unique face, a unique body appearance, and a unique voice compared to other nightkin.
- God will engage Dean Domino in conversation while they are both dismissed to the Villa fountain by the Courier. He is apparently familiar with Dean and expresses contempt for the ghoul for not leaving the Sierra Madre when he had the opportunity.
- Similarly, if Dog is a companion, he will engage Dean Domino in a short conversation if they meet at the Villa fountain. Dog will refer to Dean as if he was some kind of food, Dean's reply being "you stay in your corner while I stay in mine". Then, Dean will talk quietly with the Courier, asking them to "keep him away from this thing".
- If the Courier's collar explodes while having Dog or God as a companion, his subsequent death will count towards the Super Mutant Massacre challenge.
- Should Dog/God be killed in the Cantina Madrid and if the area is revisited, his corpse will be shown to have exploded into bloody chunks, due to the fact he ate his collar.
- God has no associated game script, which can have a dramatic impact on gameplay. Notably, this means he does not automatically heal after combat, and can even die outright without triggering the detonation of the player's collar directly.
- Wild Wasteland trait, Dog will say "OM NOM NOM" the first time he eats a ghost person. If the Courier has the
- Dog Script Test Dude. It is a generic super mutant used to test some scripts related to Dog/God. Within the game files exists an unused character named
Notable quotes[edit | edit source]
- "Where is Master? Did he go away? Dog will be good this time."
- "I'll prop your broken body in view of the Sierra Madre so you can see what you came to steal... forever out of reach as you die."
- "That Pip-Boy... maybe I'll tear it off your arm, wear it on my neck. "
- "Wish I had a Stealth Boy instead of this bear trap."
- "You look like food, smell like food, Dog - hungry."
- "Don't like this place. Want to go back, back to the base. Or the Church, miss the Church."
- "No... no, the world's always got another cage, waiting, keeping everything you want... just out of reach."
- "Almost got away, then the Idiots hunger screws it up"
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- PC Playstation 3 Xbox 360 The dialogue options "Who's this old man that brought us here?", "So you're the one that knows how I got to the villa", "You Brought Me Here to the villa", and "I want to know more about the man who brought us here" remain highlighted even if you have selected them. [verified]
- Playstation 3 Xbox 360 Sometimes, when clearing out Salida del Sol North with Dog/God, he will fall through the floor and be suspended underneath it.
- PC Playstation 3 Xbox 360 Sometimes Dog/God may be unable to heal when idle or given stimpaks. [verified]
- Xbox 360 Sometimes when he is ordered to wait, Dog/God will attack the first ghost person he can find before waiting. [verified]
- Xbox 360 There is an exploitable bug where you can obtain God's perk without him following you. By having God as a companion, use Elijah's voice to summon Dog's persona. This is only temporary, however; as soon as you dismiss him at his post for Fires in the Sky, this perk will be lost. [verified]
- PC Playstation 3 Xbox 360 Dog/God is prone to getting stuck in walls around the villa and may be unable to follow the player in the same cell. [verified]
- PC Playstation 3 Xbox 360 Sometimes Dog will bug and repeat the phrase "Let Dog out. Hungry, hate being in here" after you have brought him to the fountain. This is because the game still thinks Dog is in the cage at the police station due to the result of buggy dialogue options when you are convincing him to leave the cage. [verified]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Dog: "
(Dog and God's dialogue) Note: This line is spoken both as a random idle line and can be listened to over 631.08Hz ULF radio signal. "
- The Courier: " "
God: "[SUCCEEDED] The Master was a strong personality... personalities as well. Dog is slavish, was conditioned to serve the Master until death. The Old Man... Elijah merely came along and opened that door in Dog's mind. Now Dog does whatever the Old Man wants."
(Dog and God's dialogue)
- The Courier: " "
God: "[SUCCEEDED] Dog is the beast, we simply change cages. "
(Dog and God's dialogue)
- The Courier: "How the hell did you... or whoever... eat one of these collars?"
God: " When segmented, they look like nothing more than metallic Radscorpions... and if they're attached to neck flesh, warm, red... "
(Dog and God's dialogue)
- God: "Touched by radiation, and you choose to spend your time here. You could have just left... but you're too obsessed to let go."
Dean Domino: "I used to know a ventriloquist with more skill than you. At least he had the sense to know his own name, without carving it into his chest."
God: "Mirrors tell me my name when needed... and I have a name for you, several. Thief, coward... showman. Radiation couldn't kill the truth, could it."
Dean Domino: "The truth, buddy, is this: you and me, we're now family as long as we got these bowties on. So watch your mouth, you don't scare me."
(Dean Domino's and Dog and God's dialogue) Note: NVDLC01GodToDeanTopic01
- Dean Domino: "Why are you so carved up - "
Dog: " "
Dean Domino: "Eh... wait, so you're not just slow, you're screwy, too? we are never getting into the Sierra Madre."
Dog: "Dog is hungry. when do we eat?"
Dean Domino: "Don't like the way this guy is looking at me. You better be his leash."
(Dean Domino's and Dog and God's dialogue) Note: VDLC01DeanToDogTopic02
- The Courier: "What happened to your voice?"
God: " I've been trapped in here for some time, then you come along and let me out. "
(Dog and God's dialogue)
- Dean Domino: "Where the hell did you get this one. "Dog?" What, so you don't forget your name?"
Dog: " "
Dean Domino: "A little slow, huh? Uh... Dean. Dean Domino. I... live here."
Dog: "You look like food, smell like food. Dog - hungry."
Dean Domino: "All right, pal, you stay in your corner, I'll stay in mine. not leave me alone with this thing."
(Dean Domino's and Dog and God's dialogue) Note: VDLC01DeanToDogTopic01
- Dean Domino: " "
Dog: " "
Dean Domino: "That a bet you want to take? Cause I'll see that and raise you a few bullets to the skull."
Dog: "Dog's been shot before, many times. Won't stop me from catching you."
Dean Domino: "I hope you've got this one under control, because he's giving me a nasty itch on my trigger finger."
(Dean Domino's and Dog and God's dialogue) Note: VDLC01DeanToDogTopic03
- God: "You could have left the Sierra Madre. Left this Villa, joined your own kind."
Dean Domino: "Sierra Madre's mine, my heart's right where it belongs."
God: " "
Dean Domino: "Sounds like you need your hearing checked. Sierra Madre, it's meant for me."
(Dean Domino's and Dog and God's dialogue) Note: NVDLC01GodToDeanTopic02