|For the split-personality F.E.V. mutant and possible companion from Dead Money, see Dog and God.|
|This is an overview article, listing content appearing across multiple games.|
Dogs are creatures found across the post-War United States. Many have remained domesticated pets, but many more have turned feral and hunt the wasteland in packs. The dogs that survived the War are a larger and tougher breed, now almost wolf-sized.[Non-canon 1] Even so, just as they have in ages past, many dogs have remained faithful and beloved companions. Post-nuclear canines include Dogmeat, the companion of the Vault Dweller, and their descendant, the companion of the Lone Wanderer.
Dogs are domesticated creatures that serve as companions or used for protection. Some dogs have been less effected by radiation exposure than others after the Great War, and some have been turned into cyberdogs.
Regular dogs with standard statistics and characteristics but no special attributes.
Legion mongrels are dogs owned and bred by the houndmasters of Caesar's Legion. Mongrels are mainly used in combat and scouting missions by the Legion. Because of their thick, shaggy hair (as seen in the picture) and their red-colored eyes, they are of a distinctly different breed than most dogs found in games.
Vicious dogs are a nearly hairless and apparently, partially ghoulified species of wasteland canine. Ruthless survivors of the wastes, these starving, irradiated mutts will attack anything that moves.
Mongrels are terribly irradiated, mutated forms of dogs. They are red and ghoulish and usually hunt in packs randomly found throughout the Commonwealth and Appalachia. There are many variants of mongrels, the worst of which are the alpha variants.
Unlike other species of dogs mutated by radiation, these dogs are also mutated by FEV, giving them a distinct rough green exterior. They hunt with super mutant packs and they also come in a glowing variant.
- Four Score
- Junkyard dog
- Private Lucky
- Muffy McClellan
- Pariah dog
- Yellow dog
- Mutant hounds
- The Fallout 2 Official Strategies & Secrets guide mentions that toy poodles won't be seen during travels.[Non-canon 1]
- A dog appears on the cover of the graphic novel All Roads.
- The Fallout Bible mentions that centaurs are a mix of dogs and humans , created by way of FEV.[Non-canon 2]
Dogs appear in all Fallout games.
- Fallout 2 Official Strategies & Secrets p.28: "Some dogs have remained domesticated pets, but many more have turned feral and hunt the dusty Wastes in packs. The dogs that survived the radioactive fires are a larger, and tougher, breed - now almost wolf-sized. You won't encounter any rabid toy poodles in your travels."
- Fallout Bible 1, Fallout Bible 0: "FEV-Infected Critters in the wasteland include almost all the ones you've seen in F1 and F2: Mantises, Most species of rats, Gecko lizards, Brahmin, Scorpions, Ants, Various varieties of plants, including the Venus Flytrap. Rumor has it some dogs were affected, but no one's seen any, so for now that's just rumor. Of course, the centaurs are a mash of human, dog, and various other parts... but hey, who knows how that mutation came about. Grey was probably messing around in one of his labs."