Some people in Shady Sands say that they are the followers of Dharma. In our world, dharma is a Sanskrit word roughly translatable as "law" or "the way", and, for practicing Buddhists, dharma is used to mean the teachings of the Buddha. It is also used to refer to other old-world Indian belief systems, including Hinduism, Jainism, and Sikhism.
Aradesh says that Dharma was a great religious man. It is unknown whether he means Buddha or some other pre-War or post-War religious leader of some new dharmic religion. Characters who reference Dharma in the game are Aradesh, Agatha, Seth and Katrina.
Quoted by Aradesh and Agatha:
- "Dharma was a great, religious man. You would do well to listen closely to his sayings." – Aradesh
- "Greetings, wanderer. Please do not be offended if the gentlefolk about seem rude. As Dharma said, 'Tough times tan the human hide.' Your business in Shady Sands might be?" – Aradesh
- "Dharma said, 'A man and his wayward tongue are soon parted.' Come back when you have learned some manners." – Aradesh
- Caution is life in troubled times.
- Many sticks can be broken. A bundle cannot.
- Heed not the call of the wolf when the fox is raiding the hen house.
- Those who tend their own flock, know the shepherd.
- While you are out hunting the wolves, do not bring the lion to your den.
- The farmer who plants politeness will walk easy when the season is over.