Dennis Crocker is the ambassador to New Vegas for the New California Republic in 2281. His full grandiose title, according to the note written to the Courier, is "Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary."
Ambassador Crocker began his political career as a mayor in NCR sometime before 2261, and worked his way up through the ranks. He was the head of Kimball's campaign for his successful run for NCR council, which he attributes to why he has his current position. Crocker is a strong believer in diplomacy and hopes to unite the Mojave Wasteland under the NCR peacefully. However, his work has made very little progress since Mr. House refused to even meet him in person after signing the New Vegas Treaty.
Ambassador Crocker is the third successor of the title of ambassador to the Strip following Susanna Edith, and is in his seventh year of Ambassadorship in 2281. He keeps himself busy with the day-to-day paperwork and aiding the NCR police in keeping troops in line on the strip. Though he hopes for the annexation of New Vegas, he has little hope for success and believes his predecessors expected too much of Mr. House in this area. Crocker believes once the Legion is no longer a threat to the Mojave, negotiations may be able to proceed at a better pace.
Interactions with the player character
|This character starts quests.|
|This character plays Caravan.||They can bid 2000 caps.|
- Things That Go Boom: Crocker wants you to start diplomatic ties with the Boomers. After finishing the quest Volare! and becoming idolized by the Boomers, they can speak to Pearl and ask her for support during the Battle of Hoover Dam. Once it is done, they can return to Crocker and tell him that the Boomers are now on NCR's side.
- Kings' Gambit: Crocker will ask the Courier to stop the attacks against NCR civilian settlers in Freeside.
When leaving the Lucky 38 after speaking with Mr. House, the Courier will receive a letter from Crocker delivered by an NCR trooper. In the letter, he requests that they come to speak with him at the NCR Embassy, agreeing to pardon them of any crimes they may have committed against the NCR up to that point.
- Killing Crocker, even while hidden and with a Stealth Boy equipped, will cause NCR Infamy as well as the soldiers on the Strip to become hostile.
- Killing Crocker will start the quest Don't Tread on the Bear!, only to immediately be failed by default, due to his death.
- If the Courier is wearing NCR faction armor, he may call them a soldier.
- Former Legion scout Ulysses respects Chief Hanlon a great deal more than he does Crocker. If the Courier comes to the Divide with a good reputation with the NCR, Ulysses refers to Crocker as a "hollow man," like President Aaron Kimball, possessing only "half the life Hanlon had."
- On failing Don't Tread on the Bear!, Crocker will disappear from the embassy.
- Ambassador Crocker claims he has had the position for seven years and that he is the third ambassador, following Phillip Granger and Susanna Edith (served two years), yet the treaty itself is only seven years old and Mr. House only organized the Families right before it.
- Crocker will bet the highest amount of caps when playing Caravan.
|The following is based on the Wild Wasteland trait.|
- In the quest Kings' Gambit, after learning from Rotface that Pacer has a Jet addiction, return to the embassy. After telling Crocker this information, the Courier will have a special dialogue option for Wild Wasteland, which causes Crocker to shout "DAMN IT, I'M AN AMBASSADOR, NOT A DOCTOR!" This is a paraphrase of an oft-repeated Star Trek quote from Bones McCoy, Damn it, I'm a Doctor not a ....
|End of information based on the Wild Wasteland trait|
Behind the scenes
- Dennis Crocker was originally intended to be a Caucasian male, however, due to an error, a non-Caucasian voice actor recorded his lines. The character's appearance was altered accordingly.[Non-canon 1]
- Ambassador Crocker is the Five of Hearts in the deck of Vault playing cards included with the Collector's Edition of Fallout: New Vegas.
If the Courier waits in the Embassy at night when Ambassador Crocker isn't around, waiting for him to appear in the morning/afternoon, he will not appear in the building. All you have to do is take your player and exit the Embassy and re-enter for the Ambassador and his secretary to appear in the Embassy. He will not always reappear though, sometimes disappearing from the game permanently. [verified]
- On the PC, this can be corrected by opening the console and entering prid 116840, followed by enable.
- Alternately, open the console and enter player.placeatme 00112640
- Upon completing "Things That Go Boom" if you become idolized by the NCR a random MP will act as the male assassin for one who does wrong towards the NCR. He will complete his line and then attack you. Killing him does not cause infamy. [verified]
- When the Courier would like to know more about the NCR when having a negative reputation(merciful thug), the spoken text is not the same as the text on the screen. [verified]
- In the subtitles it says the hero of the NCR while he says citizen of the NCR. [verified]
- While receiving the quest Kings' Gambit if the Courier asks about the other option besides assassinating Pacer, Ambassador Crocker will suggest the Courier "integrate" with the King, when the subtitles say "ingratiate." [verified]
- Dennis Crocker: "I started my career over twenty years ago back in the NCR as the local mayor and worked my way up from there."
(Dennis Crocker's dialogue)