Image needed (rocket inside Museum of History)
This article is missing an image. You can help Nukapedia by uploading it.
The Delta IX rocket was commissioned in 2020 by the United States Space Administration. Completed and launched in 2054, it was utilized for nearly 15 years before its conversion to military use, the crew and instruments within replaced with a nuclear warhead.
With 77 successful launches recorded, the rocket was one of the most successful in U.S. history. The craft's longest recorded space flight was 17 days, achieved during the Zeus 12 moon mission. The rocket also served as the last manned flight to the moon's surface, whereupon the crew recovered a flag belonging to the Valiant 12 Virgo III lunar lander that touched down on November 14, 1969.
The rocket was developed by USSA scientists and featured a nuclear-electric derivative propulsion system. The single-stage spacecraft could accommodate two astronauts for 24 days maximum, who were protected from the rocket's radioactive chambers by way of a titanium-vanadium disc. The rocket was built with an ejectable crew section and satellite storage bay.
The rocket is part of an exhibit in the Museum of Technology, donated by the United States Space Administration and funded by the United States Department of Antiquities. The exhibit rocket is marked with the 50-star U.S. flag variant.
- Museum of Technology, on display.
- Vernon Square, near the exit to the Statesman Hotel.
- One on display in front of the REPCONN test site.
The Delta IX rocket appears in Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas.
- Museum of Technology terminal entries; Delta IX rocket information
- Courier: "REPCONN's history."
Tour guide: "REPCONN's illustrious history began way back in 2054, shortly after the famous Delta XI rocket was completed and launched."
(Tour guide's dialogue)
- Fallout 3 message box transcriptions; Valiant 12 flag: "This unusual flag was recovered from the surface of the moon by the very last manned flight to its surface in 2052. The flag is from the old "Valiant 12" Virgo III Lunar Lander that touched down November 14, 1969. It's remarkable condition can be attributed due to its construction; the flag is actually made of special materials to withstand the harsh environment of space."
- Fallout 3 message box transcriptions; Delta IX rocket: "The Delta IX Rocket was donated by the United States Space Administration and by a grant from the United States Department of Antiquities."