|For the derived statistic in Fallout and Fallout 2, see Armor Class.|
In Fallout: The Roleplaying Game, defense is one of two statistics by which a character can avoid damage; the other being various damage resistance types. Defense occupies the "first step" for an attack to land in-combat and simulates the difficulty of landing a hit on targets. Defense is entirely derived from the Agility attribute.
In gameplay, an enemy rolling 2d20 against a character must meet or exceed the total defense of the character, i.e. a character in optimal range with a defense of 2 has a difficulty of 2 to hit so 2 or more success must be made to achieve a hit.
- Initial level
The overextended complication can decrease defense for a single round, should the character be using a melee, throwing, or unarmed weapon.
- Defense can be temporarily increased by 1 when succeeding a Defend major action during combat.
- Weapons with the Parry quality can increase defense from melee attacks by spending one action point.
- Stealth Boys increase defense by +2 even while detected.
- Emergency Protocols power armor mod raises defense by 1 while health is 1/4th its total maximum.
- Wasteland Survival Guide: Self Defense Secrets increases defense by 1 against melee attacks.
- The Moving Target perk increases defense by 1 when using the sprint major action.
- The Dodger perk reduces the difficulty of the defend major action.