Defend (displayed as Help defend (Location Name)) is a miscellaneous quest in Fallout 4. There are many variations of the quest using the same script, with the only difference being the attacking party.
|Miscellaneous quest: Defend|
|Travel to the settlement.|
|Repel the attackers.|
A settlement owned by the Sole Survivor can be attacked by many groups, including raiders, super mutants, feral ghouls, synths, and Gunners. When an attack is imminent, the Sole Survivor will receive a miscellaneous objective on their Pip-Boy pointing to the settlement. The Sole Survivor can travel to the settlement and deal with the attackers, or leave the settlement to deal with it themselves. Either way, the objective disappears once the attack is resolved. No reward is given for a successful defense, but a failed defense will result in damage to the settlement.
- These attacks cannot be prevented entirely, but their chances can be reduced by building up the settlement's defenses (see attack chance).
- Failing to provide assistance will result in damage to the settlement and reduced happiness if the attackers win.
- Settlements on Spectacle Island can be attacked by a group of mirelurks.
- Settlements on The Island can be attacked by Trappers and local sea creatures.
- Being allied with the Institute doesn't prevent synths from attacking settlements. The attacking synths and any Gen-3 synths in the settlement can be killed without penalty. Becoming enemies with the Institute again restores the chance of attacking synths to normal, however, if the Institute is destroyed, the chance will be reduced.
- Sometimes the quest objective might mark itself as completed before all enemies are killed.[verified]
Sometimes the quest doesn't complete.[verified]
- Search inside and outside of the settlement for enemies that have not been killed and kill them.
- Open the console. Target a dead enemy (by clicking on their corpse). Enter the command resurrect, exit console and kill the resurrected enemy. This will help in case the kill-counter is missing a kill.
- If on arrival you find your settlers have killed a synth infiltrator you may also find there is no attack incoming. Open the console, and enter the command completeallobjectives WorkshopSynthInfiltrator02. The quest will complete.
- When defending a settlement against an invasion of synths, the quest may become stuck and uncompletable if the first synth is killed before more can spawn.[verified]
After completing one of these quests, some settlers may get stuck in the "thank you" mode, i.e. constantly thanking you when you try to talk to them, locking out all other options such as trading and bartering.[verified]
- This can be fixed by talking to a settler or shop owner from another settlement.
- Also can be fixed by using the console. The bug is triggered when settlers are not correctly removed from the WorkshopAttackDialogueFaction faction by the appropriate script. This faction has the editor id 001125FE. To solve it, open the console, select a settler then enter command removefromfaction 1125FE
- [platforms tag needed] Sometimes with 100% defenses the quest objective will fail when the attack on the settlement starts. [verification overdue]