Decker is the true power in the Hub, and little happens thereof that he is not aware of. He is outwardly calm, even placid, and quite patient; he is also quite ruthless. He possesses great intelligence and speaks in an eloquent way, contrasting with his brutish appearance. He seeks to control the entire water distribution business, which would establish him as the de facto ruler of New California, via the Far Go Traders, a merchant company he controls from behind the scenes.
He is wary of threats to his position, including the Children of the Cathedral, whose attractive preaching and aggressive expansion endangers his operations. Likewise, he also looks for a way to control the Hub police, whose head, Justin Greene, is less corruptible than his father.
He also presides over the Friendly Lending Company, a loanshark operation managed by Lorenzo Giovanni, which was recently accused by the Hub police of extortion.
Interactions with the player character
|This character has a talking head.|
|This character starts quests.|
|This character is involved in quests.|
- Dispose of Jain, Dispose of merchant: Should the player character impress Kane, his right-hand man, Decker will offer two jobs: remove Daren Hightower, Daren's wife and his security detail, and later Jain of the Children of the Cathedral, to cripple their operations in the Hub.
- Take down Decker: At any time during or after the above quests, he can be reported to Sheriff Greene. The player character will be asked to assist in taking him down; as expected, neither Decker nor Kane will be too pleased.
- Sometime before 2161, Decker captured an initiate of the Brotherhood of Steel who was visiting the Hub and held him as a prisoner in Old Town, torturing him to get information on the Brotherhood of Steel. The player character can rescue the initiate as part of the Rescue Initiate from the Hub quest given by the Brotherhood.
- Decker's death is the knell of the Underground. His absolutist control of all criminal activities within the city results in a lack of a successor. With no one to succeed him, the Hub police can subsequently eliminate any criminal elements without fear of retribution.
Tell me about
|All||"Just out the door and to the north. You can't miss it."|
|Beth||"She's in charge of the Weapons Store."|
|Butch||"Amusing. He considers himself the leader of the Far Go Traders. More of a figurehead, actually. He knows better than to interfere with my business."|
|Caravans, Missing||"Something is making the Far Go Traders' caravans disappear. I'd like to know the cause, since it does disrupt a piece of my business."|
|Cathedral||"An annoying organization. Soon they may need a demonstration in the management of power."|
|Crimson||"They used to control the hospital until the Children took over. Now they sit and brood in their warehouse - very strange. You will find them at the northwest end of the Merchant Market."|
|Daren||"He's the head of the Water Merchants."|
|Deathclaw||"Myths and legends. The Death Claw is supposedly a ghost or something."|
|Decker||"You have no need to know anything else about me."|
|Demetre||"He's the head of the Crimson Caravan."|
|Harold||"Harold's been around for some time. He's over in Old Town. A good source for certain types of information."|
|Heights||"Most merchants live there. Simply go west from here."|
|Jain||"She's presently the head of the Children of the Cathedral in the Hub. I've reason to believe that may change soon."|
|Justin||"He's the head of the police. Nice guy, if you like the straight arrow, honest type. Not like his father; now there was a loyal man."|
|Maltese||"My mother, finest woman I've ever known, gave me the idea for this, the finest entertainment establishment in all the Hub."|
|Market||"It's in the center of town."|
|Master||"One of the fabrications of the Children. He's supposedly some minor deity, or something."|
|Merchants||"They control the water. Go to the south end of the Merchant Market, you'll find them there."|
|Morpheus||"Morpheus is the head of the Children of the Cathedral. He resides down in the Boneyard."|
|Old||"Old Town takes up the entire east side. The skags live there."|
|Thieves' Guild||"They steal from the merchants and give to the poor, or some such nonsense. They are inconsequential to me. That old mutant, Harold would know more."|
Behind the scenes
- In the Fallout film, Decker was to be named Dekker.
- The Maltese Falcon, the name of Decker's bar, is a reference to a detective novel from 1930 of the same name, that was adapted into a film with Humphrey Bogart playing the protagonist.