|Side Quest: Debt Collector|
|Talk to Francine Garret.|
|Collect Grecks debt.|
|Collect Santiago's debt.|
|Coerce Lady Jane in to giving you her debt through a Speech, Barter, Perception check or from Lady Killer.||Find Lady Jane's caravan and collect the caps she owes from the remains.|
|Return to Francine.|
|Kill Caleb McCaffery, taking his hat and caps from his corpse.||Convince Caleb McCaffery to give you his stolen caps and hat through a speech check.|
|Return to Francine.|
|Reward: 600 XP|
Player housing at the Atomic Wrangler casino
|Leads to: Hat's Entertainment|
Talk to Francine Garret at the Atomic Wrangler, and ask if she needs any work done. She will inform the Courier that there are three individuals in Freeside that owe the casino caps. In total it will be 600 caps owed, and the player character will gain 150 caps if they return the caps to Francine (300 with a Speech or Barter check of 50). The three individuals are Grecks, Santiago, and Lady Jane. It is also possible for the player character to pay off the dept them self.
- Grecks is located behind the Old Mormon Fort. He will hand over the money with either a Speech check or a punch to the face (through dialogue). A second Speech check of 40 or higher will net additional caps, and a third of 60 will cause him to give the clothes off his back (negative Karma).
- Santiago is located behind the collapsed building opposite Mick & Ralph's. He will try to talk his way out of it, but revealing that there is a bounty on his head or punch him in the face will get him to pay up. He will give additional caps with a Speech check. If the player character has the Wang Dang Atomic Tango quest also active at the same time, one can convince him to work off his debt at the Atomic Wrangler, also completing the suave talker portion of that quest. Doing this, one will only have to return to Francine with the 388 caps from the other 2, but will still get the full reward for collecting the debts (150 or 300 caps, depending on the earlier barter check).
- Lady Jane is located to the right of The Strip North Gate. The money can be obtained through a Speech Check of 40, a Barter check of 40, or the Lady Killer perk. With a Perception of 7 or higher, The player character will be able to tell she is lying and get the caps. One could also ask for other things to help pay off the debt. Doing this results in her handing over 156 caps and 94 caps worth of sensor modules and cartons of cigarettes (neither killing or pickpocketing her at this stage of the quest will work. Doing either would result in one having to collect caps from her caravan). Failing that, she will direct the player character to the caravan she lost in the broc flower cave, good loot can be found further into the cave. The player character can also fail all checks and another option will show up for threatening her. She will ask the player character to tell the Garrets she is dead, to which one can reply that they do not like liars. Choosing this option will turn her hostile, allowing the player character to kill her and collect the 256 caps (she will have a bag of bottle caps on her corpse).
- If the cave has been entered before receiving this quest, Jane's brahmin will not be in the there.
- The brahmin will not spawn until one agrees to retrieve the debt this way.
Once these three are taken care of, Francine will have a fourth assignment. Her former collector, Caleb McCaffery, skipped town with a large sum of caps, and she wants him dead. His hat needs to be taken as proof.
- Caleb is in the Strip, in the first section near the gate to the second. With a Speech check of 40, he will give the player character his hat and the stolen caps. Otherwise, one will need to kill him for it. Note that the entrance to the Strip will require possessing at least 2000 caps (not as payment, but merely checked against as a minimum necessary value), a passport, or pass a Science check of 80. Alternatively, one can simply use the monorail if they are in good standing with the NCR and have not let it be destroyed in I Put a Spell on You.
- On consoles, a major bug may render the game essentially unbeatable if Caleb is killed. See the Bugs section.
Bringing the hat back to Francine will finish the quest, earning caps and Freeside Fame Reputation.
- Xbox 360 If you finished the first part of the quest and returned with the caps to Francine Garret, you may be able to get double the caps. When you get to Santiago, ask about the free vip and his discount with Ralph's brother. Later on you will find out it was a fake but will be unable to bring it up again to Santiago if you collected the caps. Before killing the twins' old bounty hunter, do James Garret's quest on more hookers. Once you go back to Santiago you have the option to tell him about his fake discount. Once you finish that part you can now chase after their old bounty hunter. Get his hat and return to Francine Garret. She will bring about the old quest you already finished and give you the reward again. [verified]
- PC Playstation 3 Xbox 360 If you have already completed the quest Wang Dang Atomic Tango and hired Santiago as the suave talker, there is a possible bug that you will not be able to talk to Santiago to collect the chips. It's still possible to complete the quest by pickpocketing the bag of bottle caps off of him. [verified]
- Playstation 3 Xbox 360 Upon completing this quest and killing McCaffery, any attempts on re-entering the Strip will result in a black screen crash and the autosave corrupting (some users have reported The Strip door also requiring a key). To fix the black screen crash, wear the Old cowboy hat (or even Caleb McCaffery's hat) that you can find at Crimson Caravan's store (it's near a bunch of first aid boxes). Wearing it before entering The Strip from Freeside will stop the game from crashing. The key-requirement for The Strip gate can easily be solved by taking the NCR monorail in Camp McCarran to the Strip, and then opening the gate from the inside. If you cannot use the monorail, stealthily kill one of the Securitron guards near the gate and loot the key from its corpse. [verified]
- To avoid the black screen crash, try not to decapitate Caleb; if McCaffery's body is intact when you remove the hat and other items from it, the visual of the hat disappears from the corpse. It is unclear why this was occurring but when his head separated from the rest of the corpse, the image of the hat on McCaffery's head remained even when his corpse was looted, causing the bug above.
- Xbox 360 When asked to kill McCaffery, there's a possible bug where you will be unable to select any dialogue options. (Pressing Start when this happens will fix it) [verified]
- Playstation 3 Xbox 360 Following closure of the dialogue when asked to kill McCaffery, he may be involved in a firefight inside the Atomic Wrangler. He will appear friendly in V.A.T.S. and be fighting with Wrangler staff. You can kill him here and get the reward before entering the Strip. [verified]
- Xbox 360 If Caleb McCaffrey is the first bounty you get and complete by passing a speech check, returning to Francine Garret will complete the mission without having to find Grecks and Lady Jane. [verified]
- PC If you go after Caleb McCaffery before Lady Jane, you complete the quest. However, his room does not become yours, despite Francine awarding it to you; all items in it are still 'owned' by someone else and you cannot sleep in the bed. [verified]
- Xbox 360 In some cases, there is a bug that if you kill Caleb McCaffrey before you start this quest, you will not be able to complete it or if you pick up McCaffrey's hat, you won't be able to drop it, as it will still be marked as a quest item. [verified]
- PC Playstation 3 Xbox 360 The player may be unable to ever open dialogue with Lady Jane. (Attempting to simply triggered a passive statement about ED-E) Repeated attempts caused her to repeat the statement. This can be very problematic and render the quest unable to be completed without killing or pickpocketing her. No known fix as of yet, reloading a save or re-entering the cell does not work. [verified]
- PC Playstation 3 Xbox 360 It's possible to turn in the quest with Francine before it's finished and thereby adding Caleb McCaffrey to the existing questline but at the same time making it impossible to talk to Lady Jane. [verified]
- PC You should not do this quest and Wang Dang Atomic Tango at the same time. Otherwise, you can only return 388 caps to Franchine, it's 250 from Jane and 138 from Grecks. The game will assume that you didn't collect money from Santiago. [verified]
- This bug does not always happen, or perhaps it was fixed in a more recent patch.
- PC Xbox 360 Even if you finished the quest, the items in the room still owned by another person. You can only sleep in the bed for free. [verified]
- Playstation 3 Santiago sometimes will disappear and is nowhere to be found, or he will be found dead and his bottle caps won't be on his body. [verified]
- PC If you get the caps from Lady Jane with Lady Killer perk after you talked about her caravan, finding Jane's caravan will be still an optional quest. However sometimes the brahmin will not spawn, thus leaving you without the extra caps. The side-quest can be still completed without the optional side-quest. [verified]
- PC Playstation 3 Xbox 360 If you kill Santiago after receiving his debt, the journal entry 'Collect 212 caps from Santiago' will uncheck, and a quest marker will appear on his body. You can, however, still complete the quest normally by turning in 600 caps to Francine and dealing with McCaffrey afterwards. [verified]
- PC Sometimes Jane's brahmin does not spawn. To fix this with the console, type player.placeatme 00116af4 1. This will spawn the brahmin alive, which can then be killed and its body looted.[verified]
- PC Xbox 360 There might be a chance of finishing this quest twice and getting the reward twice by returning the 388 caps (250 from Jane and 138 from grecks) and then returning 600 caps to Francine by getting all caps plus going to Lady Jane's caravan and getting the caps from there, the player will first give the 300 caps and get the reward then give the 600 caps and get the reward once more, after giving the caps the first time the option to say you completed the debt collecting will still be available and will give you the opportunity to return the next pack of caps.[verified]