| ||For an overview of deathclaws in all games, see Deathclaw.|
Deathclaws are an enormously large, agile, and strong species of mutant chameleons created through genetic engineering. They are substantially larger than a human, and have large and dangerous claws. However, due to mutation, they have lost their camouflage ability.
The deathclaws were originally created before the Great War by the United States Armed Forces in order to replace humans during high-risk close-combat search-and-destroy missions. They were Jackson's Chameleons genetically modified with the DNA of various other species.
- The very high DT (20) of deathclaws means powerful ammo types are needed to even begin to harm them, such as .308 and .44 Magnum.
- There are also Alpha Male Deathclaws and Mother Deathclaws. Additionally, across the Colorado River, mid-way between the Hoover Dam and the southern edge of the map, a colony of Deathclaws can be found. There is a mother Deathclaw and a Legendary Deathclaw in that colony (see Deathclaw promontory).
- Deathclaws have very keen eyesight and can even see enemies that are cloaked with devices such as stealth-boys.
- Focus on crippling the legs of Deathclaws to make battles much easier.
- A group of Blind Deathclaws can be seen across the train tracks, from Sloan. They are usually accompanied by two or more Young deathclaws and normal Deathclaws.
- Deathclaws in New Vegas have a DT of 15 and their attacks almost completely ignore armor so the use of armor piercing rounds at long range is a must for safely taking them down, engaging them on their own terms in close quarters is SUICIDE!
- While Deathclaws are no longer randomly encountered like in Fallout 3 they have a tendency to gather in colonies of 10 or more so if you see one expect there to be more nearby.