Appearing as a standard terminal port, the DataPlex 2000 SmarTerminal finds its primary functions being directed towards everything from movies, games, personnel filings, private messages, and most importantly, as an access port to the Enclave oil rig's primary systems such as turret controls, alarm systems, and local research and security computers.
With a high Science skill, one can download a few holodisks of data from PoseidoNet using the terminal:
Behind the scenes
- The dialogue branch about the help system is a reference to crippleware.
- The hacking procedure requires Science checks with modifiers from -75 to -150 to continue operation and with Science 125%, the player is trapped in the dialogue subtree until they fail.
- After shutting down a terminal and interacting with it again, one of several messages can be read:
- Labeled as an Apricot-brand terminal running Fallout 2, which appears to be both multiplayer and 3D.
- Show messages "Loading Fenestra '98" or "It is now safe to turn off your computer.". "Fenestra" means "window" in Latin, making it a cultural reference to Microsoft and their operating system.
- Show a rather boring Indian movie.
- QITURTRM.MSG - Line 103
- Line 225: "Welcome to PoseidoNet Help system. We regret that your Help files are currently out of date, and unavailable. Seek Help file update? (Y/N)"
- Line 228: "User Help file update not available with trial PoseidoNet software. Please purchase full version for full access to all further updates. Your trial period for PoseidoNet access is 59, 439 days overdue."
- Line 117: "This terminal seems to be an Apricot-brand terminal. It's running something called Fallout 2. Wow, it looks like it's multiplayer and 3D."
- Line 116: "This terminal has a message on it; "Loading Fenestra '98." The terminal is covered with a thick layer of dust."
- Line 112: "This terminal has a message on it, "It is now safe to turn off your computer." You wonder what it means."
- Line 108: "This terminal is playing an Indian movie, but it's really boring."