Appearing as a standard terminal port, the DataPlex 2000 SmarTerminal finds its primary functions being directed towards everything from movies, games, personnel filings, private messages, and most importantly, as an access port to the Enclave oil rig's primary systems such as turret controls, alarm systems, and local research and security computers.
With a high Science skill, one can download a few holodisks of data from PoseidoNet using the terminal:
Behind the scenesEdit
The developers had quite some fun with the terminal, embedding several gems into its scripting.
- The dialogue branch about the help system makes fun of crippleware and similar concept where critical parts of a program access or are downloaded on demand from the vendor's servers on the net and stop functioning after they drop support. Both were emerging trends in the late 90s.
- The hacking procedure has the Chosen One desperately grasping at straws and inevitably failing in the end: Science checks with modifiers from -75 to -150 are required for a terminal to just continue operation and with Science 125%, the player is trapped in the dialogue subtree until they fail.
- After a terminal shuts down, when checking it out, one of a several humorous messages is given. It can appear to, among other things:
- Be an Apricot-brand terminal running "Fallout 2" that is multiplayer and 3D. This is a stab at corresponding demands from Interplay. The latter ones Black Isle was to (reluctantly) address in Van Buren
- Show messages "Loading Fenestra '98" or "It is now safe to turn off your computer.". "Fenestra" means "window" in Latin.
- Display a few different screensavers which reminisce stock ones of the operation systems of the time.
- Show a rather boring Indian movie.