Background[edit | edit source]
Knight Shin has been a driven and dedicated member of the Brotherhood for nearly 20 years. As a child, Shin grew up in a very rigidly structured household on the west coast as the only son of a school principal. He was recruited from the Mojave Wasteland around 2083, when a Brotherhood force under Knight Connors saved his home town from a raider attack. Shin's uncommon valor during the defense earned him Connors' notice, a place within the Brotherhood's ranks, and a lifelong hatred of raiders and their ilk. His focus and commitment to the Brotherhood have drawn praise from the Council of Elders up to and including High Elder Roger Maxson. Connors would save Shin once again during the expedition, during a raider attack on a settlement, at the cost of his life.
Shin's fierce devotion to the Brotherhood's ideals makes him an effective officer whose performance is exemplary. He is also single-minded with little patience for distractions or disagreements, especially from subordinates or non-members. He is particularly resistant to change and any challenges to the Brotherhood's authority or tenets, which is a point of contention between him and his superior, Paladin Rahmani. However, Shin will give credit where credit is due, appreciating a job well done and saying so, regardless of his personal opinion.
On a day-to-day basis at Fort Atlas, Shin is in charge of the armory and its equipment. He also leads various combat operations, due to the low amount of senior officers at the fort. His occasionally unwelcoming attitude is a result of his steadfast commitment to both his responsibilities and the values of the Brotherhood, stating that his duties "do not include human resources."
Interactions with the player character[edit | edit source]
Interactions overview[edit | edit source]
|This character is involved in quests.||* Forging Trust|
Quests[edit | edit source]
- Forging Trust: Knight Shin represents the first step towards service in the Brotherhood for the Vault 76 dwellers, and asks them to handle several requests from "civilian" visitors at Fort Atlas.
- Property Rights: After completing their initiation, the dwellers assist Shin in recovering Brotherhood property from the Crater raiders.
- Over and Out
- The Best Defense
Other interactions[edit | edit source]
- Shin serves as a secondary narrator, gradually revealing the disastrous events that occurred on the way to Appalachia.
Inventory[edit | edit source]
|Apparel||Weapon||Other items||On death|
|Brotherhood knight suit
Heavy Brotherhood combat armor chest piece
Brotherhood T-51 power armor (w/o helmet)
Appearances[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Fallout 76 – Steel Dawn (Developer Gameplay)
Mark Tucker: "For example, Daniel Shin is the, uh, son of a principal, and he's, you know, he's from the west coast and, you know, he grew up the only son of a principal in a very structured home, you know, and when you meet Daniel in the game, you'll see that.
- Vault Dweller: "Can I join the Brotherhood?"
Paladin Rahmani: "I'm glad that you are inspired by our mission! In order to fully accomplish our goals and establish a foothold here in Appalachia, we need to build up our ranks. If you're interested in recruitment, you can speak with my second, Knight Shin."
(Leila Rahmani's dialogue)
- Vault Dweller: "[Charisma 8+] I work better by getting to know my leadership."
Knight Shin: "I don't understand how that works, but I'll take your word for it. I've been with the Brotherhood for almost 20 years. I consider my life before that irrelevant. I think our mission is the only hope for humanity in the long-term. And I think that any time I don't spend on that mission is irresponsible. There. Are you able to work now?"
(Daniel Shin's dialogue)
- Leila Rahmani: "The Brotherhood saved Shin's hometown from a Raider attack. It was then that Knight Connors recruited him into the fold."
- Fort Atlas terminal entries; Scribe Valdez's terminal, KNIGHT Shin, Daniel
- Vault Dweller: "The Raiders mentioned a Knight's helmet. Did someone important die?"
Leila Rahmani: "A Knight's helmet? It must be... Two other Knights embarked with us from the West Coast. Knight Thornberry returned partway through the journey. To think they held on to his helmet like a trophy... It's unforgivable."
- Vault Dweller: "What do you do here?"
Knight Shin: "As you can see, I'm in charge of the armory. I maintain and manage all of our equipment. I keep records of our stockpiles, distribute rations, and acquire resources as needed. Since we only have one Paladin here, I also lead various combat operations and support Paladin Rahmani in any ways necessary. To be clear, my duties do not include human resources."
(Daniel Shin's dialogue)