| ||For the character from the Broken Steel add-on for Fallout 3, see Curie III.|
CVRIE (short for "Contagions Vulnerability Robotic Infirmary Engineer," dubbed Curie by Dr. Kenneth Collins) is a modified Miss Nanny robotic scientist and a potential companion living in Vault 81 in 2287.
Curie began as a Miss Nanny robot, who was reprogrammed for use in the secret partition of Vault 81 as a lab assistant. Only a handful of the vault's scientific staff were working in the vault when the Great War hit, due to Dr. Olivette sabotaging the call list, which led Dr. Kenneth Collins to modify the robot and give it greater operational freedom so that it could conduct its own experiments.
Dr. Collins programmed a custom feminine personality derived from some personality traits from a friend of his named Liza, then added a French-accented voice based on his grad school fling from Versailles back in '46, and loaded her databanks with "every great body of work" he had access to; Marie Curie, Charles Darwin, Michael Faraday, Alan Turing, Alexander Braun, Immanuel Kant, Max Born and Albert Einstein, and christened his creation "Curie," in reference to both her original designation (CVRIE) and Marie Curie.
As Curie began taking on greater responsibilities, Dr. Collins insisted that the other scientists treated her as they would a human and even set aside a terminal for her personal use; an act of kindness that initially bewildered Curie, which she later came to appreciate. Through her work and interaction with the scientists, Curie gradually developed a degree of self-awareness and independence that surprised even Dr. Collins.
When the scientists eventually succumbed to old age, Curie curated their remains, storing the bodies of two in empty lockers and cremating the third according to his wishes. For decades Curie took on their research alone and in 2204 completed Vault 81's original initiative: she perfected a panacea capable of curing every disease that afflicted humanity. Unfortunately, she was still beholden to her programming and was incapable of leaving the secret partition without express authorization from a Vault-Tec employee. For 83 years she waited idly for Vault-Tec security to arrive, watching the escaped mole rats that had been used as test subjects run free.
When Curie was finally discovered by the Sole Survivor in 2287, she elatedly handed over the last remaining unexpired dose of the cure and decided to travel with the Survivor in order to seek out new research opportunities in the Commonwealth. Eventually, she realized that her Miss Nanny body and programming lacked the inspirational spark that all great scientists had, and requested the Sole Survivor to help her transfer her mind and memories into a human body so that she could achieve more as a scientist, and she can eventually be transferred into a synth body.
Interactions with the player characterEdit
|This character is essential. Essential characters cannot be killed.|
|This character is a permanent companion. They grant the Combat Medic perk.|
|This character offers sex.||
|This character starts quests.|
|This character is involved in quests.|
- Hole in the Wall: Curie has access to the cure Austin needs, although she will only give it once all the nearby mole rats have been terminated.
- Emergent Behavior: Curie wants a human body to become a better scientist.
Effects of player's actionsEdit
- Curie can be let out from her laboratory. In addition, she can become a synth if the player character asks Doctor Amari in the Memory Den in Goodneighbor to transfer her memory into a synth body during Emergent Behavior. Note, Dr. Amari will not give the necessary dialogue options to do so until after the completion of Dangerous Minds.
- Curie's affinity towards the player character won't increase any further from the value 499 before the quest Emergent Behavior is completed, even if the game states that "Curie liked/loved that."
- Upon reaching maximum affinity with Curie, she will tell the Sole Survivor about a breakthrough she has made with mutfruit that enhances the effect of stimpaks, and will give the Combat Medic perk, which heals the Sole Survivor for 100 Hit Points once a day when falling below 10% health.
Range of interestsEdit
- Curie will occasionally give the player character stimpaks.
- Curie will request to leave if she enters Vault 81, but her affection level will not change.
- Curie is a potential candidate for romance, an option that unlocks after reaching the highest level of affinity.
|Flannel shirt and jeans
(can be given other clothes and armor)
(can be given other weapons, including melee)
- When first talking to Curie through the glass inside the vault, she will open the door no matter what the player character chooses to say.
- If the player character chooses to download Curie into a synth body, her old inventory will not transfer to her new body. However, Curie's old Miss Nanny body can be found in the same room where the body exchange operation took place and all the items can safely be picked up from the inanimate robot body.
- PC If the robot body disappeared type prid 865d1 into the console followed by moveto player which will bring back Curie's old body to the player character.
- When arriving at Covenant for the first time, she will comment on how cute it is and suggest going inside. However she dislikes the player character doing this, making her suggestion paradoxical.
- Unlike Codsworth, Curie is armed with a laser weapon instead of a flamer, making her much more effective against distant targets but not quite as lethal at close range.
- Unlike all other companions, Curie has a fixed amount of health (440 as a Miss Nanny and 670 as a synth), regardless of the player character's current level. This is in contrast to Codsworth and all other companions, who level up alongside the player character. Codsworth's health will equal Curie's Miss Nanny health at player character level 49, and surpass her at higher levels. In fact, Curie has the highest health of all the possible companions, up until around level 50.
- Curie's unusually high health for a companion (at least until the player character reaches around level 50) is balanced out by the fact she has 0 damage resistance or energy resistance, and cannot equip armor while a Miss Nanny.
- As a synth, Curie's 670 health and ability to equip armor makes her by far the most durable companion, and the other companions will not catch up to her until the player character exceeds level 107.
- Curie will often talk to the various doctors in the Commonwealth while she is traveling with the Sole Survivor. For instance, she will ask Sun where he went to university which will prompt a somewhat confused response.
- When Curie is transferred into her new body, she will still have her old battle AI, meaning for long-range attacks, she will use her default laser rifle. In close range, she will not have the cutting saw arm and will use her fists unless she has found or has been given a melee weapon. This can be fixed by recruiting a different companion, then going back to Curie. She will then behave like a normal humanoid companion.
- As a Miss Nanny, she is able to equip the Bowler hat and Triggerman bowler, just like Codsworth. This has no effect on her total health, despite the item's +1 endurance bonus. Once equipped, the hat will not show up in her inventory, thus making it impossible to unequip it.
- Curie tends to pick up an excess of weapons which she may use instead of her base laser rifle or her fists in close range. Even when given more powerful weapons, she will collect things like pipe pistols or swords as the player character defeats enemies. She also tends to loot ammo from dead enemies; even when possessing a weapon that uses that ammo type she will not use the weapon.
- PC To lock Curie to using her base laser rifle and stop picking up stuff type 00102249.equipitem 0022cc13 1 into the console.
- Diamond City security and other NPCs will continue to comment on having Curie as a companion as if she were a robot even if she has been moved into the body of a synth.
- When Curie first meets the Japanese-speaking robot Takahashi in Diamond City, she will respond to him saying "Watashi wa Curie desu." (Meaning "I am Curie.") This indicates that Curie is multilingual, capable of speaking English, French and Japanese.
- Despite becoming a synth and liking when the player character says positive things about synths, Curie seems to have sympathy for the Brotherhood of Steel, as she likes it when the player character joins or helps them, excluding the destruction of the Railroad.
- Curie will not say anything if the player character brings her to their dead spouse's cryo chamber in Vault 111.
- When talking to Moe Cronin in Diamond City about what baseball actually was, she will humorously correct him on how baseball was played, mentioning RBI and batting averages.
- Curie can be modified at a robot workbench when still in her Miss Nanny form.
- During Curie's companion quest, if she has been modified at the robot workbench, her robot body will revert to its default state during the transfer.
- Due to her seclusion in Vault 81, Curie is unaccustomed to the lawless nature of the Commonwealth. When the Sole Survivor picks up items from dead bodies, she will occasionally comment "I believe we are supposed to file a police report, yes? And all the little things go in baggies for evidence." or "Shouldn't a coroner be doing that instead?" Dropping items will occasionally prompt her to advise the Sole Survivor that they may be fined for littering.
- Additionally, she will occasionally comment "Someone is nearby, perhaps they are friendly." when observing enemies from a distance, and may express some shock over their level of violence after combat.
- "We must find the men of science and institutes of learning, surely they are out there still."
- "I find myself... humming inside. I feel so very... happy, this is the word!"
- "My systems are eager to acquire new data. I find that traveling agrees with me."
- "Stimpaks are a marvelous invention, don't you think?" – When giving the player character a stimpak.
- "It is so hard to wrap my head around what I feel for you. Before, there was only duty. Now, something more." – When asked about your relationship.
- "Though dangerous, combat is quite vigorous exercise." – After combat.
- "Perhaps you have missed your calling. With skills like this, you could be a Mr. Handy." – Using a workbench.
- "I believe the term is..."Yahoo"?" – After killing an enemy.
- "Ah, my Vault. Please, let's go elsewhere." – Upon entering Vault 81.
- "My control of feelings is worse than before. And you, you are no help. With your teasing of poor little Curie." – During her third approval talk, even if the Sole Survivor hasn't flirted with her.
- "What a contradiction a human is. To be lacking in so many capabilities, but being blessed with such a tapestry of emotions."
- "Visibility has decreased, perhaps you should do one of your sleeps?" – When it gets dark out near a Settlement.
- "Someone is nearby. Perhaps they are friendly." – When nearby an enemy.
- "Well, you look quite dashing in that." – When entering power armor.
- "The boat! It is on the building! That is the USS Constitution. Mon dieu." – Upon visiting the USS Constitution.
- "If mankind can still do something like... that. There is hope." – Upon witnessing the Brotherhood of Steel's arrival in the Commonwealth.
- "We simply must find a way onto the Brotherhood's airship. Think of all the things they must know." – When the Sole Survivor asked for thoughts on the Brotherhood of Steel.
- "Please... don't let me... power..." – Last dying words.
- Curie: "Power Noodles. Sounds very nutritious." [to Takahashi] "What type of noodles do you serve?"
Takahashi: "Nan-ni shimasho-ka?"
Curie: "Oh, Japanese. Watashi wa Curie desu."
Takahashi: "Nan-ni shimasho-ka?"
Curie: "You know, I think this robot is broken." – Conversation between Curie and Takahashi.
- Curie: "Oh, it is a Mr. Handy." [to Deezer] "What is your function?"
Deezer: "Don't be the last person on the block to try fabulous Deezer's lemonade."
Curie: "Lemonade, truly? But I see no lemons."
Deezer: "The secret recipe is a tightly guarded secret. But here, try a complementary beverage."
Curie: "He is very odd, no?" – Conversation between Curie and Deezer.
- When looting a body:
- "I believe we are supposed to file a police report, yes? And all the little things go in baggies for evidence."
- "Shouldn't a coroner be doing that instead?"
- After romancing her:
- "I may be getting this out of order. But, I love you." – When romanced with the "Start a relationship" option
- "Perhaps we can conduct further nocturnal experiments? Tonight."
- "I thought the greatest challenge to advancing science would be the limitations of the human brain. But it is instead you, so deliciously distracting."
- "You have no need to ask. As long as we are together, I... I have no words."
- "You must be very careful. The idea of you coming to harm. There, my heart is fluttering again."
- "I must warn you, the thought of you being... close with someone else causes very complicated emotions in me."
- When walking around naked:
- "Put something on at once. You could catch a cold."
- "Well, this makes it easy for me to conduct a physical inspection, at least."
- "I believe not wearing clothes is considered taboo? But maybe that data is old.."
- "It pains me to say goodbye. But we will be together again soon, yes?" – When dismissing romanced Curie.
- When Curie is the current companion and someone else is chosen:
- Deacon: "Do not get him/her in any trouble, Monsieur Deacon." To which Deacon replies: "Me? Get into trouble? I am the very definition of innocence. We're just going to spend all day playing canasta. Promise."
- MacCready: "Do you have any new injuries for me to treat today, Monsieur MacCready?" To which MacCready replies: "Feeling fine, thanks. But if a couple Stimpaks fall my way, I wouldn't object."
- John Hancock: "You are such a fascinating specimen, Monsieur Hancock." To which Hancock does not reply.
- Cait: "I think if you travel with Cait, you may need to bring a little more ammo." To which Cait replies: "You're just jealous because you'll be missin' all the fun."
- Codsworth: "If it isn't Monsieur Codsworth. It is a pleasure to see you again"
- Piper: "You know, your Publick Occurrences should have scientific articles" To which Piper replies: "You've never met our readers, have you?"
- Danse: "Oh, it is Monsieur Danse. One day we must talk of the technological marvels of the Brotherhood." To which Danse replies: "Sharing technological information isn't permitted. However, if you wish to donate yourself for study, I'm certain our scribes would be pleased."
- Strong: "To see a Super Mutant up so close. It is amazing." To which Strong does not reply.
- Nick Valentine: "You are a scientific marvel, Monsieur Nick." To which Nick does not reply.
- Preston Garvey: "I think with more people like you, Monsieur Garvey, civilization will rise again." To which Preston replies: "That's the goal ma'am."
- When someone else is the current companion and Curie is chosen:
- Deacon: (Nanny) "Getting traded out for the tin can? How humiliating. Hey, Curie." To which Curie replies: "I assure you, Monsieur Deacon, I am fully equipped and quite capable of dealing with a multitude of situations." (Synth) "I like the new look, Curie. And people give me a hard time just for swapping out my face." To which Curie replies: "Unlike you, I did not undergo such a procedure on a whim."
- MacCready: "Well Curie, I guess you're up. Have fun out there." To which Curie replies: "Mon dieu! Always so polite. Au revoir to you, MacCready."
- John Hancock: "So, you gonna be able to take care of yourself out there?" To which Curie replies: "I have read all the available materials on the subject. Will that not be sufficient?"
- Cait: "Gonna replace me with the egghead eh? Well, good luck in a firefight." To which Curie replies: "No need to worry, Mademoiselle Cait. My offensive capabilities are quite formidable."
- X6-88: (Nanny) "In my judgment you're not ready for this, Curie. I hope you'll prove me wrong." To which Curie replies: "I am the top of the line of RobCo technology. I assure you I am capable of this." (Synth) "In my judgment you're not ready for this, Curie. I hope you'll prove me wrong." To which Curie replies: "I have survived centuries more than you, monsieur."
- Codsworth: "Ah, Miss Curie. Never was there a more suitable replacement." To which Curie replies: "So gracious of you, Monsieur Codsworth. Until we meet again."
- Piper: "Have fun you two. Don't pick any fights I wouldn't." To which Curie replies: "Well I hope to not have to pick any at all."
- Danse: "Being replaced by a machine... embarrassing." To which Curie replies: "There's no need to be embarrassed, we merely posses different skills."
- Strong: "When metal man is smashed, come find Strong." To which Curie replies: "Don't worry, Monsieur Strong. I don't rust so easily."
- Nick Valentine: "You two watch yourselves out there." To which Curie replies: "Oh monsieur. We do not watch. We observe."
Curie appears only in Fallout 4.
Behind the scenesEdit
Curie is named after Marie Skłodowska Curie, the physicist and chemist who conducted pioneering research on radioactivity. Curie will acknowledge this when starting the quest Emergent Behavior.
- PC Playstation 4 Xbox One On occasion Curie, if she has been turned into a synth already, will still be accessible in the Robot workbench. If selected this will revert her back into her Miss Nanny body.[verified]
- PC Playstation 4 Xbox One Sometimes Curie will unequip any weapon she had and fight with her bare fists. When this happens she may loot bodies for weapons.[verified]
- Workaround: Switch to another follower then switch back to her.
- PC If Curie is modified using the robot workbench and the player character does the quest "Emergent Behavior" Curie will not talk during the entirety of the player character's conversation with Doctor Amari. If the player character sits on the bench and wait for a day, she will revert back to her Miss Nanny self and all modifications will be lost. [verified]
- PC Playstation 4 Xbox One Sometimes Curie will not go to location specified when dismissed and will not return to original location, known locations, settlements, or any other feasible location, and as such simply disappears, even after sleep/resting for several in game days.[verified]
- Possible fix: Track her with the Vault-Tec Population Management System.
- PC Playstation 4 Xbox One Upon dismissal Curie will reappear outside the medical room in Vault 81, regardless of where she is dismissed, even if dismissed to Sanctuary while in Sanctuary, she will immediately sprint toward Vault 81. [verified]
- Workaround: Reload an earlier save file and don't give the cure to Dr. Forsythe at the end of the "Hole in the Wall" quest until after speaking to Curie inside the doctor's clinic. She won't actually enter the room herself, so the player character has to get behind Curie and push her into the clinic. She will then initiate the proper dialogue to become a companion and will stay at the player character's chosen settlement. Alternatively, resetquest comcurie followed by setstage comcurie 83 will trigger the join companion dialogue, after which Curie can be moved as required.
- PC Playstation 4 Sometimes, if she is transferred into synth body, she will have a smoking animation while idle with no weapon equipped. The animation may be normal and may normally stop after she equips the weapon, but is still out of character, though technically synths can smoke.[verified]
- PC Playstation 4 Curie will dislike the player character for entering Covenant for the first time, regardless of whatever the player character says during the SAFE test.[verified]
- PC Playstation 4 Xbox One Curie will not have any dialogue when asked how the relationship with the player character is going if the player character did not romance her.[verified]
- PC Workaround: To fix this, open the console and click on Curie. In the console, type: setav CA_WantsToTalkRomanceRetry 1
- PC Playstation 4 Xbox One Curie's arm will sometimes get stuck in a pointing downwards position through the floor, resulting in her shooting her laser into the ground in combat. The only fix appears to be traveling to a different location. [verified]
- PC Curie's perception and intelligence stats will each be with 1 higher then the value that they are set to. In-game she has 5 perception; if setting the value to 8, she will have 90 perception.[verified]
- PC Playstation 4 Xbox One Curie in the level 3 synth body does not have any sneak ability which causes constant detection, all other companions have at least Sneak level 4 by default.[verified]
- PC Workaround: each level of sneak can be added with the console: 00102249.addperk 0004c935 then 00102249.addperk 000b9882 then 00102249.addperk 000b9883 then 00102249.addperk 000b9884
- PC Playstation 4 Xbox One Curie is missing the baseid for Inspirational perks to work with her as a companion.[verified]
- PC Workaround: add the companion inspirational perk with the console 00102249.addperk 001d33d7
- PC After reaching the highest level of affinity with her, there is a conversation bug when you go to -> Talk -> press on Relationship and nothing happens. Just jumps back to Talk section. To fix this use console commands prid 102249, getav ca_affinity and getav CA_WantsToTalkRomanceRetry and try again. If she does not respond setav CA_WantsToTalkRomanceRetry 1. [verified]
- PC Sometimes (only confirmed in synt body) no other dialogue options will be available outside of the ones in the Talk menu. [verified]
- PC This can be fixed by shooting Curie with a weapon [verified]