|For a cross-game overview, see Cryolator.|
The weapon creates a cryogenic spray when fired that fades away at mid-range. Firing continuously at an enemy may freeze it solid and render it unable to move or attack for a period of time. More durable enemies will require a longer exposure, and some cannot be frozen at all. The cryolator utilizes large amounts of ammunition quickly.
The crystallizing barrel mod will convert the weapon into a mid-range crystal shooter. This makes the weapon far more ammo-efficient, as well as granting additional benefits such as increased range and additional ballistic damage. However, the projectiles do not travel particularly quickly and suffer from a noticeable flight trajectory.
Cryolator (Level 25)
Cryolator (Level 35)
- Dropped by deathclaws, fog crawlers, Grafton monsters, hermit crabs, honey beasts, mega sloths, mothmen, scorchbeasts, super mutant behemoths and wendigos.
- Due to the very low freezing rate, it will take more than a full clip in order to noticeably freeze most targets.
- Affected by the Grounded mutation.
- Prior to Update 25, the cryolator dealt energy damage instead of cryo damage.
- Prior to Update 23, the crystallizing barrel mod would apply damage and the freezing effect to the owner when firing at the ground or at objects that were very close.