| ||For an overview of Cryolators in the Fallout series of games, see Cryolator.|
The Cryolator was developed by the overseer of Vault 111 as a way to occupy time, waiting for the All-Clear signal from Vault-Tec that never came. Using chemicals and components readily available within the vault, the prototype was able to be completed, making cryogenic freezing available in a portable, on-demand form. Conceptually, it is a flamer that shoots ice.
The weapon creates a cryogenic spray when fired that fades away at mid-range. Firing continuously at an enemy may freeze it solid and render it unable to move or attack for a period of time. More durable enemies will require a longer exposure, and some cannot be frozen at all. The Cryolator can quickly chew up large amounts of ammunition.
The crystallizing barrel mod will convert the weapon into an automatic crystal shooter. This makes the weapon far more ammo-efficient, as well as granting additional benefits such as increased range, increased damage (crystals do ballistic as well as energy damage) and a very small AoE. However, the projectiles do not travel particularly quickly and suffer from a noticeable flight trajectory.
|Slot||Mod||Description||Weapon prefix||Range change||Components||Base ID|
|Barrel||Standard barrel||Standard.||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||Circuitry x2|
|Crystallizing barrel||Shoots cryogenic capsules. Superior range.||Crystallized||+20||–||+132||+4||+5||+40||Adhesive x4|
Fiber optics x3
|Stock||Standard stock||Better recoil.||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||Adhesive x6|
|Recoil compensating stock||Exceptional recoil.||Recoil compensated||–||–||–||+6||+1.5||+45||Adhesive x6|
|Sights||Standard sights||Standard.||–||–||–||–||–||–||–||Adhesive x1|
|Glow sights||Improved focus and better sighted accuracy.||Glow-sighted||–||–||–||+1||–||+17||Adhesive x3|
Nuclear material x2
Inside Vault 111, in a display case in the overseer's room behind a Master level lock. It cannot be picked up at the beginning of the game due to the inability to pick Master level locks before exiting the vault. Interaction with the case prompts a line from the Sole Survivor, saying that they will return for it later. An entry on the overseer's terminal in the same room can be found detailing the weapon and why it was built.
- The Cryolator was supposed to appear in the final version of Fallout 3 but was cut out instead. The version of the Cryolator in Fallout 3 does look fairly different.
- Cait may be able to unlock the case far earlier than the Sole Survivor can, granting early access to the weapon.
- The Cryolator's weapon modifications do not require any levels in the Gun Nut or the Science! perks, making it easy to upgrade if it is obtained early in the game.
- If a Cryolator is given the Freezing legendary effect, it will increase the weapon's energy damage by 19 points instead of 15 which the description states.
- PC Playstation 4 Xbox One After a cleared area resets, enemies killed with the Cryolator may respawn lying on the ground, completely unable to move or attack. These enemies will be in this immobile state every time they respawn.[verified]
- PC Playstation 4 Xbox One Even though it is classed as a heavy weapon, it cannot be placed onto the Contraptions Workshop heavy weapons stand, nor any other weapon rack included in the add-on.[verified]
- PC In Fallout 4 VR, the player character can simply reach through the case and pick up the Cryolator at the beginning of the game.[verified]
| || |