Cleanup (Issue: trim walkthrough, point of view)
To meet Nukapedia's quality standards, this article or section may require cleanup. Please help by the article.
Quick walkthrough[edit | edit source]
|Side Quest: Crazy, Crazy, Crazy|
|Find Neil at his shack.|
|Make your way up Black Mountain.|
|Once you arrive at the broadcast building, go out the back door and pick up Tabitha's key under the stairs.|
|Deal with Tabitha by either:|
|Killing her.||Repairing Rhonda.|
|Reward: 1000 XP.|
Detailed walkthrough[edit | edit source]
Upon approaching Neil's shack or Black Mountain from Hidden Valley, a super mutant named Neil runs up and starts dialogue. He will say that a super mutant named Tabitha has taken over Black Mountain. One of her rules is that no humans are welcome in the area, and any that approach should be shot on sight. This will automatically start the quest, which requires the Courier to enter Tabitha's stronghold and put an end to her chaos.
Neil will say that the area is patrolled by super mutants during the day, while at night, a cloaked nightkin patrol the roads. With a Speech check of 50, Neil can be convinced to assist in killing Tabitha. From Neil's shack, the Courier will have to make their way up the road towards Black Mountain. There is a long way where one will fight against three patrols and checkpoints of super mutants or nightkin. Upon reaching the toppled satellite dish by an irradiated crater, there is a ham radio under it which can be used to talk to Tabitha. There are 3 dialogue options, or 4 with low Intelligence:
- Telling Tabitha the "dumb-dumbs" are taking over, which requires a 75 Speech check, will cause her to sentence them (non-nightkin super mutants) to death. Fighting will then break out between the super mutants and nightkin. The super mutants usually win the opening fight and are then attacked by more nightkin.
- Saying one is a big fan of the super mutants will result in Tabitha sarcastically thanking them and sending the remaining super mutants in the area towards the player character's location.
- Say nothing, which will irritate Tabitha and cause her to ignore the radio afterward.
- With low intelligence, a dialogue choice labeled "[Dumb] What?" will appear. After choosing this option, Tabitha will dismiss the player character as a "dumb-dumb," and cut off the conversation.
There are also two shortcuts to the summit to avoid most of the super mutants:
- On the way up there will be a body of an NCR trooper. There is a bear trap at the legs of the corpse and more all the way up to that hill. Be careful to avoid bear traps and falling rocks if one chooses to take this path. There will be a warning sign about rock falls halfway up the path. A little beyond that point a trap is triggered and a giant boulder rolls down the path, which can be avoided by backing down the path until it flares out to the right or left and hugging the rocks to the side. After walking up this shortcut, the player character will only have to deal with the super mutants at the toppled satellite dish to reach the summit.
- Traveling north from scorpion gulch, follow the canyon to an irradiated crater with centaurs and a dead paladin patrol from the Brotherhood of Steel. Kill or sneak past them and climb the ridge to the east. This leads to a hard locked gate into the Black Mountain compound, bypassing Neil and and the super mutant patrols.
Once the summit is reached, the super mutants at the compound can either be killed or drawn away by asking Neil for help. This requires moving stealthily past the guards. When Neil returns from giving false information about "an intruder in the entrance of the Black Mountain," he will start walking back towards his previous location with a number of cloaked nightkin directly behind him to check out the entrance of the area. Note that if the player character chose to bypass Neil and kill the nightkin at the summit by themselves, talking to him later will have no effect. At this point, one can choose to complete the quest in one of three ways.
- Enter the storage shed at the top of the mountain, where the player character will find a disabled robot named Rhonda. If one decides to repair Rhonda, which requires a Science Skill of 60, they will receive the good ending of this quest: as one leaves from the storage shed, Tabitha will appear, happy to see her robot repaired and fully functional again. She will not attack, and the quest will finish with good Karma.
- After doing this, Tabitha and Rhonda can be killed and looted with no Karma penalty. Raul can also be freed without Tabitha becoming hostile.
- Enter the broadcast building and simply kill Tabitha. This carries no Karma penalty.
- With a Science Skill of 25, Tabitha's personal computer can be hacked (it does not have a special name, being simply labeled terminal). The last entry in this terminal says that Tabitha hides a second key to her personal room (where she can be found) below the stairs leading to her room. The key appears as a small rock and can be tricky to pick up.
- Enter the prison building and release Raul.
- The building has 2 terminals, one opened and one very hard locked, and a door that requires a key. The first terminal contains Raul's diary; reading Entry 6 will reveal the password (123456789) for the other terminal. The second terminal will now open the door. After talking to Raul inside and setting him free, Tabitha along with 2 nightkin will ambush the Courier as soon as they leave the building, screaming "No! I won't let you have my Raul!". Killing her will complete the quest.
Quest stages[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Under the toppled satellite dish are several trunks, two of which contain several hundred caps.
- After passing a certain line, but not yet to Neil's shack, two groups of super mutants will spawn further down the road.
- After completing this quest peacefully, Rhonda and Tabitha will make their way down the mountain to Neil's shack, where they will disappear from the game, but they will move very slowly.
- Although Rhonda and Tabitha will be friendly towards the player character if the quest is completed peacefully, they are still allied with the super mutants, nightkin, and centaurs around Black Mountain, who become neutral upon completion. Attacking or killing any Black Mountain inhabitants, even in self-defense, will turn both Tabitha and Rhonda hostile.
- If any companions are solely responsible for the kill, Tabitha and Rhonda may only become hostile to them.
- Freeing Raul first even without hiring him as a companion will cause Tabitha to ambush the player character outside.
- However, with high enough sneak skill, one can free Raul and sneak quickly to the storage building to repair Rhonda, causing Tabitha to initiate dialogue upon exiting the building and becoming nonhostile.
- This quest can be completed without the involvement of Neil. Traveling down to his location afterward will result in him thanking the player character as if they already agreed to help him.
- Following the completion of the quest, super mutants and nightkin will still spawn in the area. They will be friendly but cannot be interacted with.
- If Lily is with the player character at the end of the quest, regardless of how it was done, she will say "Naughty Tabitha, Leo knows what you have done" or, "Tabitha! You naughty, naughty girl. Leo remembers what you did."
- If Boone is with the player character, he will attack Tabitha on sight when upon reaching her, rendering the good Karma ending unattainable.
- Occasionally, a few Boomers or even a deathclaw will be walking down the road from the summit.
- There is an unavailable option at the ham radio to tell Tabitha of a dumb-dumb revolt with a lower Speech 40 check, but for that, you must know that Tabitha is paranoid. Since the flag is not set anywhere, this topic never appears. It seems that this was supposed to be learned either from Neil or from Tabitha's radio broadcasts about her paranoia, it may be cut content or a bug.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- PC Xbox 360 Sometimes Rhonda will not spawn on the workbench, making impossible to complete the quest.[verified]
- PC Sometimes the super mutants along the road up to the summit will not spawn, allowing you to freely walk up to the top of the mountain. Curiously though, the cloaked Nightkin that ambush the player character along the road as well as the few that are at the summit, are still present. If you save and then reload while near the crater, the mutants will usually all spawn and then descend down the road and return to their normal guard posts. [verified]
- Playstation 3 Sometimes companions will disappear while heading up Black Mountain. They will appear on the map but will not be there. For replication purposes I had ED-E and Boone with me. Saving your game then loading that game seems to fix this. [verified]
- PC Playstation 3 Xbox 360 Neil the super mutant will tell the player character to meet him at the top of the hill. He will be located to the left directly after passing the crater (radiation warning). Talk to him but DO NOT go running ahead. If one goes past him and starts killing the Nightkin, it is possible for a glitch to occur where Neil will not be able to join the player character regardless of the speech options and will always reply "OK. But whatever you have to do, be quick about it." If this happens, one can still complete the quest. This may still happen if one kills the Nightkin prior to even starting the quest. [verified]
- Playstation 3 Xbox 360 If one accepts Neil's help but enters Black Mountain alone from the locked gate on the southwest side (by Tabitha's room) instead of going through the checkpoints, Neil will run around randomly when he is approached and cannot be spoken to. Waiting causes his map marker to move near the domes, but he is nowhere to be found. [verified]
- PC Playstation 3 The quest can be completed (but without the XP that should be gained and will appear as a new quest then a completed quest in your Pip-Boy the moment the quest is completed) by not visiting Neil's shack prior to exploring Black Mountain. Once Black Mountain is clear of all mutants and Tabitha is dead, Neil will turn up thanking the player character for their help... even though they have never met him before. [verified]
- Xbox 360 Repairing Rhonda to reunite with Tabitha before ever going to Neil's shack completes what would be the requirements for Crazy, Crazy, Crazy, however the quest is not added. The player character can then meet Neil for the first time at his shack and he will thank them. However the quest will still not appear as started or completed. [verified]
- PC Playstation 3 Xbox 360 If one wishes to peacefully resolve the situation with Tabitha, do not let a significant amount of in-game time pass between the moment when first encountering Rhonda and the moment when they are repaired. It is highly likely that Rhonda will disappear from the game if one leaves her room and decide to come back at a much later time. This can be fixed if you are playing the PC version with access to the console by using the command player.placeleveledactoratme 000E84A2. Please note that achievements will be disabled until you have restarted the game-client, so it would be advised to save before and immediately after using the command, then exit the game-client completely and load it up again. Also note that by using this command, one will circumvent the science check. [verified]
- PC Xbox 360 If the player character restores Rhonda and spends too much time in the Storage House, Tabitha may enter as a hostile. If she is killed, the quest will be completed but one may be locked inside of the Storage House. Sometimes the door will unlock after killing Rhonda, after Tabitha is killed. [verified]
- PC If the the quest has been completed peacefully and it is bugged but Tabitha has already disappeared, open the console and type prid 000e61a2 to select Tabitha (she is invisible). Then type moveto player to move her to the player character then type enable to cause her to respawn, press E on her and the quest should complete normally. Alternatively, one can simply type prid 000e61a2 then type kill to kill her and complete the quest the 'bad' way. [verified]
- PC Xbox 360 Sometimes the dead NCR soldier near the bear traps is alive. [verified]
- Playstation 3 Xbox 360 After repairing Rhonda and finishing the quest, Rhonda and Tabitha may suddenly disappear if one attempts to follow them. [verified]
- Playstation 3 Xbox 360 While traveling up the mountain ED-E will sometimes disappear. [verified]
- PC If one has completed the quest peacefully and returned to Black Mountain some time afterward, the nightkin may be hostile but the other super mutants are neutral and do not join the nightkin in attacking unless provoked. [verified]
- PC Xbox 360 If you save right after finishing the quest by the peaceful way, and then you load that game, Rhonda might break into pieces which remain static in the air. Nonetheless, she will continue walking alongside Tabitha. [verified]
- PC Xbox 360 After convincing Neil to become a decoy he may be stuck behind a rock with him attempting to run towards the camp but not moving at all. This is then followed by the Nightkins running down the road despite being given no notice of any intruder. [verified]