The crashed B-29, dubbed The Lady in the Water or The Lady by the Boomers, is a Boeing B-29 Superfortress that crashed on July 21, 1948 (129 years before the Great War) and is now lying at the bottom of Lake Mead, close to Lake Mead Cave and Callville Bay.
Layout[edit | edit source]
During the quest Volare! the Boomers request the Courier float the bomber up to the surface of the lake, using two ballasts provided by Loyal. The ballasts must be placed between the engines under each wing. After floating it up to the surface, Loyal sends robots to disassemble it and bring it back to Nellis hangars. Once taken to the hangar, it can be seen being re-assembled and restored by the Boomers.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Ranger Lineholm at Ranger station Alpha refers to the plane as a local myth.
- After raising the B-29, Radio New Vegas will feature a bit about locals having seen a large "object or creature" surfacing on Lake Mead, and that it has been dubbed "The Lake Mead Monster."
- The B-29 can be seen in the quests Eureka!, No Gods, No Masters, All or Nothing, Veni, Vidi, Vici and Volare!. In All or Nothing, it can be seen sweeping through the sky and dropping bombs on Caesar's Legion or the NCR.
- After the plane has been reassembled in the Nellis hangar, a new piece of artwork can be seen on the fuselage near the cockpit. It depicts Pearl in her younger days wearing a Vault 34 jumpsuit with a background shaped like a Vault door, and is drawn in typical 1950s pin-up style. This artwork is similar to those which adorned US aircraft during and after World War II.
- Fast-traveling to the bomber lands the Courier at Callville Bay, in the vicinity of a group of cazadores. In addition to this, fast traveling to Callville Bay instead results in the Courier landing at the Bitter Springs recreation area. If attempting to reach the plane by fast travel, it is easiest to travel to nearby Lake Mead Cave.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
The crashed B-29 appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
The crashed B-29 is a real world crash site, referencing a Boeing B-29 crashing into Lake Mead on July 21, 1948 - the same date in-game and in real life. The site was added to the National Register of Historic Places in April 2011.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- The Courier: "Lady in the water? What's that?"
Loyal: "A long time ago - long before the war that killed just about everything that ever lived - a bomber crashed not far from here. A bomber was a flying contraption that could drop explosives down on anything it flew over. But anyway, moving on... This bomber crashed down in Lake Mead, pretty damn near intact. When we got to Nellis, see, I found this article in a magazine all about it. There was another B-29 around here, part of a museum. Couldn't fly, but had a lot of spare parts, see? Get where I'm going? Since I was a young man, I've dreamed of raising that Lady from the lake and bringing her back to life. What do you say?"