|For an overview of lever-action rifle models, see Lever-action rifle.|
The cowboy repeater is a lever-action rifle firing small-caliber .357 Magnum rounds. Due to the gun having a tube magazine, it is reloaded by hand one bullet at a time, as such it can be interrupted mid-way through reloading and fired if needed. Because of this, it gives the gun the added advantage of being quickly available to fire again if only a single/few rounds are needed.
The cowboy repeater can fire a total of 595 standard rounds, the equivalent of 85 reloads, or 55 reloads when modified with the long tube, from full condition before breaking.
|Ammunition type||Unmodified||W/ Long tube|
|Standard, HP & JFP||595||85||595||55|
- Cowboy repeater maple stock - Decreases weight by 1.5.
- Cowboy repeater long tube - Adds +4 ammunition capacity.
- Cowboy repeater custom action - Increases rate of fire by 20%.
- La Longue Carabine, a unique variant of the cowboy repeater.
|- Weapon name (melee or unarmed)||- Attacks in V.A.T.S.|
|- Weapon name (gun, energy or explosive)||- Action point cost|
|- Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||- Damage per action point|
|- Damage per second||- Weapon spread|
|- Area of effect damage||- Magazine capacity (shots per reload)|
|- Effect damage & duration||- Durability (number of attacks before breaking)|
|- Bonus effects||- Weight|
|- Attacks per second||- Value in caps|
|- Critical chance % multiplier||- Value to weight ratio|
|- Critical damage||- Skill required|
|- Critical effect damage & duration||- Strength required|
|- With all mods attached|
|La Longue Carabine||35||75.4||2.15||x1.5||35||24||1.5||0.05||11||745||5||1500||300||25||5|
- Gun Runners - Vendortron sells one.
- On the pedestrian bridge spanning the road between Novac and the REPCONN test site, it can be found leaning against the shelving near a dead ghoul.
- Mojave Outpost - Ranger Ghost and Ranger Jackson both have one.
- Primm - Two in very poor condition in the sheriff's office; one underneath the reloading bench and the other under the bed of the Primm sheriff's office
- Can be found on various non-player characters at various levels, including but not limited to: Powder Gangers, Legion soldiers, Fiends, Jackal gang members, and NCR Rangers.
- The aperture sight is not zeroed correctly, so it shoots slightly to the right.
- The cowboy repeater appears to be the "standard rifle" for recruit legionaries.
- At later levels, the Cowboy perk makes a fully modified cowboy repeater a useful weapon, with the +25% damage bonus from the Cowboy perk, combined with the common .357 ammunition and ease of repair, makes it a good all-purpose weapon.
- The firing animation incorrectly depicts a bottleneck cartridge case even though .357 Magnum and .38 Special are straight-walled cartridges.
Behind the scenes
- Sometimes your weapon will disappear until you move, where it will come down from the top of the screen. [verified]
- V.A.T.S. reload, it may make it so that the player must reload an earlier save. [verified] This is one of the weapons affected by the round-by-round reloading bug. Sometimes all other actions will be locked out after reloading until the player attempts to fire the weapon. The attempt will have no result aside from unlocking the ability of the player to take action. The player will still be able to move but will not be able to take any actions which are unavailable while reloading. If this bug occurs during a
- brush gun and trail carbine. This can be fixed by changing the ammunition type again. [verified] When changing ammunition types this weapon could be caught in a reload loop, this is also common on the
- As with all lever-action weapons, a bug exists where if one changes ammunition types twice consecutively, the weapon returns to having a full magazine in the ammunition type that was selected. [verified]
- If the player puts away the cowboy repeater while it is being closed for reloading, in the third person view the action will still be hanging open. [verified]
- If the player fires in the third person and then reloads and starts running right after reloading the weapon, the rifle will stay perpendicular to the player's arm. To remedy this, simply go back into 1st person and then go back into 3rd person. [verified]
- The reload animation of lever-action weapons doesn't have a corresponding jam animation, so the weapon will not jam, even at near-breaking conditions.[verified]
- While reloading and running in 3rd person, the player will not cock the gun, this is fixed by switching to 1st person or waiting for the game to move the action. [verified]