The cosmic knife super-heated was accidentally discovered by a chef, when one was left on a hot (450 degrees) stove under a pot for five minutes. The alloy retained so much heat that the blade glowed red-hot. The handle was safe to hold, but when the chef put it down on a table, it melted through.
The cosmic knife super-heated appears as an ordinary cosmic knife with an orange glow. It will set enemies on fire for a brief period when a critical hit is made. It also has a significantly higher critical multiplier than the other variants, as well as bonus limb damage.
|- Type of attack||- Skill required|
|- Damage per attack in V.A.T.S.||- Action point cost|
|- Damage per action point||- Additional effects|
|Flambé Cut||50||25.2||20||1.26||+2 dam (5 sec)|
- Note: Melee weapons do double normal damage in V.A.T.S.
It is possible to execute Flambé Cut outside of V.A.T.S. (without the required Melee skill of 50 to perform the move) by initiating a power attack (hold attack button) while moving forward.
The cosmic knife super-heated can successfully strike about 745 times from full condition before breaking.
This weapon must be crafted by the player. It cannot be found on enemies or in containers.
- The required schematics are on a locked terminal (Science 25), in the utility room in the center of the Executive suites floor of the Sierra Madre Casino & Resort.
cosmic knife (1)
hot plate (1)
pilot light (1)
Dead Money add-on
Cosmic knife super-heated (1)
|- Weapon name (melee or unarmed)||- Attacks in V.A.T.S.|
|- Weapon name (gun, energy or explosive)||- Action point cost|
|- Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||- Damage per action point|
|- Damage per second||- Weapon spread|
|- Area of effect damage||- Magazine capacity (shots per reload)|
|- Effect damage & duration||- Durability (number of attacks before breaking)|
|- Bonus effects||- Weight|
|- Attacks per second||- Value in caps|
|- Critical chance % multiplier||- Value to weight ratio|
|- Critical damage||- Skill required|
|- Critical effect damage & duration||- Strength required|
|- With all mods attached|
|Cosmic knife||12||36||x1.5 limb||3||x1||12||20||1.2||745||1||35||35||0||1|
|Cosmic knife clean||15||45||x3 limb||3||x1.2||15||20||1.5||995||1||50||50||0||1|
|Cosmic knife super-heated||14||42||x1.7 limb||3||x5||14||20||1.4||745||1||50||50||0||1|
- Note: Melee damage is doubled in V.A.T.S.
Can only be crafted by the player character.
The weapon has a very high critical multiplier of x5, this fact alone makes the Cosmic knife super-heated a very powerful weapon; a player with a critical chance of 20 or higher would score a critical strike on every hit. This can be achieved very early by having Finesse, 10 Luck, and the 1st Recon beret.
Behind the scenesEdit
|The following is based on Fallout: New Vegas cut content and has not been confirmed by canon sources.|
Shape and texture resources for the cosmic knife, its clean, and super-heated variant are all present in the files of Old World Blues add-on, but not used. Though present, no objects in the add-on use these resources. Curiously the resources are stored within the nvdlc01 folder used by the Dead Money add-on, rather than the nvdlc03 folder allocated to Old World Blues.
|End of information based on Fallout: New Vegas cut content.|
- PC Playstation 3 Xbox 360 The cosmic knife super-heated is not affected by the Cowboy or Super Slam! perks. [verified]
- PC Playstation 3 Xbox 360 Although capable of setting non-player characters on fire, this weapon is not affected by the Pyromaniac perk. [verified]
- PC Playstation 3 Xbox 360 The glow layer texture for this weapon is referenced by the weapon's model, but was not included in the resources for Dead Money. This indicates the weapon was intended to produce a glow from only certain parts of the knife, but instead provides a glow over the entire weapon due to the missing texture. [verified]