|Side Quest: Confidence Man|
|Speak with Travis at the Diamond City Radio station in Diamond City.|
|Speak with Vadim Bobrov in the Dugout Inn. Accept his quest, being offered caps if speech checks are successful.|
|Come back to the inn after 6:00 PM that day, or the next day if it is already past that time when the quest starts.|
|Speak with Travis in the inn and convince him to stand up to Gouger and Bull.|
|Help Travis win the bar fight.|
|Speak with Vadim.|
|Find and speak with Scarlett.|
|Return to the Dugout Inn and speak with Yefim Bobrov.|
|Go to the Diamond City Radio station and speak with Travis.|
|Go to Beantown Brewery.|
|Free Vadim and speak with him and Travis.|
|Reward: 300 XP|
Up to 300 caps
Travis is more confident on Diamond City Radio.
There are two ways to start this quest. Either speak with Travis Miles at the radio station in Diamond City and then subsequently overhear a conversation about Vadim Bobrov looking for someone to help him regarding Travis, or overhear Vadim telling a story to Hawthorne while in the Dugout Inn, then re-enter the bar and speak to Vadim. Both these events will trigger the quest to start.
Speak to Vadim at the Dugout Inn. He will ask the Sole Survivor what they think of Diamond City radio host, Travis. Regardless of the chosen response, the conversation ends with Vadim stating that Travis could use some confidence to improve his radio show, then asking the Sole Survivor to help. If they agree, Vadim can be pushed to offer caps through three speech checks of increasing difficulty and amount. Whether or not he is successfully persuaded, Vadim reveals that he is going to stage a bar fight that night and requests that they return after 6 P.M. to assist Travis in the fight.
Returning to the bar after 6 P.M. will result in happening upon a scene in which Travis is confronted by Gouger and Bull, two raiders Vadim hired for his staged fight. They begin to verbally harass Travis, who meekly replies, thus initiating the plan. At this point, the Sole Survivor can use Charisma to convince Travis to fight. One must help Travis fend off the two assailants using melee attacks to beat them into submission (using ranged weapons will turn all of the occupants hostile and Diamond City security will arrive). After the fight, speak with Travis, who is thrilled by what took place. Once he starts to leave, speak with Vadim. If any speech checks were passed, Vadim will pay the Sole Survivor the agreed amount of caps (if any) and he thanks them.
The second part of his plan is to hook Travis up with the bar's waitress Scarlett to further assist in Travis' confidence. One can find and convince her to meet and talk with Travis. This can be done by either convincing her that Travis does indeed like her or by paying her to hook up with him. Once she agrees, return to the Dugout Inn.
Upon returning, Yefim Bobrov will inform the player character that Vadim has been kidnapped by Gouger and Bull for not giving in to their demands of owed bottle caps for the services provided. He pleads for help but doesn't know where they took Vadim, saying he needs to stay and that Travis should be spoken to. Heading to the radio headquarters and explaining the situation to Travis results in him sharing that Vadim is probably at Beantown Brewery and requests to go with the Sole Survivor to assist in his rescue.
The Sole Survivor can then travel to the brewery, speak with Travis outside briefly, and head in. The building is held down by a raider gang that needs to be eliminated in order to get to the room in which Vadim is being held and guarded by Tower Tom, the gang leader (unless he was defeated on a prior visit to the brewery) who will also be assisted by Bull and Gouger. Once he and all surrounding members are dead, Travis and the Sole Survivor can enter to untie and free Vadim. Speaking with Vadim and then Travis will reveal the radio host now has a new outlook on life with all that's happened to him. With this change, he thanks the Sole Survivor, returning to his radio station with his newfound confidence.
Missing data (reactions)
This article is missing some required data. You can help Nukapedia by filling it in.
- Even if Travis is in the Dugout Inn or the Beantown Brewery, he can still be heard on the radio.
- Travis can lose the fight at the inn, which will unlock extra dialogue.
- Gouger and Bull can be killed in the bar fight. If this happens, Vadim will be angry with the Sole Survivor and new dialogue options will be present. The quest stages will remain the same. If the player character only kills one of the two, Vadim will still act as if both of them were killed.
- If the player character goes directly to the Beantown Brewery after Vadim's kidnapping without asking Travis, Travis will be found inside. A scene will start where Travis and the player character can ask each other how they knew Vadim was there.
- If the player goes into the Travis' trailer after Scarlett has been persuaded, threatened, or bribed into visiting Travis, she will just stand next to his bed until the next stage of the quest is activated.
There is a glitch that causes both Gouger and Bull to be set to essential, making the quest impossible to complete without the use of console commands. [verified]
- Two possible fixes are detailed here and here.
- This bug can also be resolved on the console version of the game or without using console commands by loading a save file that is from a point before the player speaks to Travis to initiate the bar fight. The player must then go to Beantown Brewery (without talking to Travis) and kill Gouger and Bull who will now be killable. The player can then continue the quest as normal.
- Additionally, reloading a save from before the "Meet Travis at Beantown Brewery" objective and entering the brewery without activating his dialogue may resolve this bug.
- One cause of this glitch is the dialogue with Travis before the fight can cause your companion to like you and request to talk with you. If you start/finish the fight before finishing the talk with your companion the glitch occurs.
- setessential 00043389 0, setessential 000ED665 0. The easiest way to deal with this bug is before it becomes a problem. After the fight in the bar, as Gouger and Bull start to leave, enter the following console commands which allows them to be killed:
- This bug has been reported as fixed in patch 1.2. However, if this glitch is still encountered, simply load a save prior to talking to Travis and exit the Dugout Inn. Once you re-enter Gouger and Bull should be non-essential again.
- The player can also reload a save prior to entering Bean Town Brewery when prompted to meet Travis before entering. If the player bypasses interacting with Travis, engages no enemies, and rushes to engage Gouger and Bull, they are not represented as essential, and the quest can be completed regularly.
- If you fail to talk with Travis after freeing Vadim, and he leaves the Brewery with Vadim, you may not be able to complete and close the mission. The map will show them at a location but they won't be there or the location won't be reachable. [verified]
- If the player lets Vadim thank them, choose an option and release him and then exit the conversation while he's telling you "These idiots had caps and chems just lying around." One will receive the rewards and the conversation will restart, allowing one to get 200 caps, four Buffout, and two Jet repetitively. [verified]
- After the bar fight, Vadim might not give out the caps even if the player character passed the speech check. Exploiting the bug above may resolve this issue. [verified]
Even after finishing the quest, Travis might still talk on the radio as if the quest was never completed. [verified]
- set radiodctravisconfident to 1. This bug can be fixed by entering the console command
Sometimes when entering the Dugout Inn, the quest will automatically activate without encountering the conversation between the brothers about Travis. [verified]
- To fix this, load a save from entry to the Dugout Inn. When entering again, this time the conversation should start when upon walking up to the brothers talking at the bar.
If the conversation about the plan with Vadim in the back room is exited without finishing it, Vadim goes back to his standard behavior while being addressed. [verified]
- To restart the conversation, exit the Dugout Inn, then re-enter. When you go back to the backroom, he will restart the conversation.
During the fistfight with Bull and Gouger, Travis may pull out a pipe pistol. After this, Bull and Gouger won't become unhostile. [verified]
- A possible fix may be to pickpocket all .38 ammo from Travis before speaking to Bull and Gouger.
- This bug sometimes occurs when, after Travis has already defeated either Bull or Gouger, but the Sole Survivor has not yet defeated the second assailant yet, then the one that Travis defeats will attempt to walk away from the fight. If the Sole Survivor hits this one at this point, then it causes either Travis or Yefin to pull out a pistol and start shooting.
- If the player clears out Beantown Brewery before reaching the final stage of this quest, Gouger and Bull may be alone with Vadim in Tower Tom's office, and afterward Travis will still act as if you fought your way through.