The combat rifle is capable of filling various roles depending on its configuration, such as a close-quarters automatic or a precision sniper. It is also chambered for .45 rounds, one of the most abundant forms of ammunition in the game. With higher ranks of Gun Nut, caliber conversions to the weaker .38 rounds and more powerful .308 rounds become available.
- Can be purchased at the Diamond City market. Arturo may sell two or three of these rifles. Higher levels would see him selling one already modified with a .308 receiver.
- One can be found next to a dead soldier next to a beached tank directly west of Libertalia.
- At any level, a long barrel full stock is in the raider cottage east of Pickman Gallery.
- Guaranteed to spawn at the ambushed caravan outside of Covenant, on the road to the Medford Memorial Hospital.
- One will spawn at any level on top of the roof of the Greater Mass blood clinic, next to the body of a dead survivor.
- On the east side of Greater Mass blood clinic in the back of a burned out vehicle. There is a chance one will spawn next to a skeletal soldier.
- At higher levels, the combat rifle and modded variants can be found on almost all the mercenaries at Parsons State Insane Asylum along with plenty of combat armor. These respawn almost daily, making them ideal for obtaining many for settlers.
- Around level 15, Gunners will start equipping these with large magazines and long barrels.
- Can also be commonly found in U.S. Army bases.
- Fairly common among raiders, Gunners and Minutemen after at higher levels.
- One can be found during the miscellaneous quest Find the Treasures of Jamaica Plain.
- Daisy frequently sells one.
- Alexis Combes frequently sells one.
- Nuka-Cade for 21600 Nuka-Cade tickets (items rotate every couple of days). Sold at the
- Any combat rifle with a low scope or higher will be labeled as "combat sniper" along with other titles unless another name takes precedence over it.
- The full stock and long scope mods cause the combat rifle to use more AP in V.A.T.S. in order to be fired.
- Despite being chambered for a handgun caliber by default, there are always rifle cartridges seen in the magazine when reloading, suggesting the combat rifle was originally chambered for either .308 or 5.56mm and was switched to the more abundant .45 round at the last minute in development. This makes it a rather curious weapon, being a large-caliber rifle that fires pistol rounds in two of its three configurations. Only a select few weapons in the Fallout universe share this kind of oddity, like the .223 pistol from Fallout and Fallout 2 and its Fallout: New Vegas versions, That Gun and the 5.56mm pistol, which are both pistols that fire rifle rounds.
- The combat rifle makes the best use of .45 rounds, boasting the highest damage for those calibers out of all other weapons that utilize them as well.
- Unused meshes in the game's files suggest the combat rifle was at some point going to have a drum magazine modification, similar to its shotgun counterpart, the combat shotgun.
- PC Playstation 4 Xbox One The modification menu for scopes and sights on the combat rifle does not show the 'Glow Front Sight Ring' mod unless there is something other than the basic 'Front Sight Ring' mod attached, but will not be craftable even though its components required are shown as 'None,' which is grayed out. This affects both the normal combat rifle and its variant, Overseer's Guardian.[verified]
- PC Xbox One The standard magazine for the Combat Rifle can be invisible, however, while reloading the magazine can be seen.[verified]
- Playstation 4 Firing and then swimming will cause the weapon to be held like a bat and prevent firing the weapon.[verified]
- To fix it, just unequip and re-equip the rifle.
- Can also happen while using unique or legendary variants of the rifle.