|For an overview of combat knifes in the Fallout series, see combat knife.|
Characteristics[edit | edit source]
The military issue combat knife is a rather common melee weapon in Fallout 3. It is affected by the melee damage bonus from Strength. It is one of the better low-level melee weapons, and can get around 3-4 strikes in V.A.T.S., even with a reasonable number of AP and a fast swing speed outside of V.A.T.S. However, it has extremely short reach, about that of an unarmed weapon. With 10 Luck, it becomes an extremely potent weapon that will critically hit almost once every 4 to 5 hits.
The combat knife itself has a single edge with a clipped point, with a serrated edge on the back. It is of the standard Bowie shape.
The combat knife has the highest value-to-weight ratio of any non-unique melee weapon in the game.
Durability[edit | edit source]
The combat knife can successfully strike about 1286 times from full condition before breaking.
Variants[edit | edit source]
- Occam's Razor - A slightly stronger version of the combat knife, wielded by Talon Commander Jabsco.
- Stabhappy - Stabhappy shares all of its stats with Occam's Razor, but has two principle differences. Firstly, the raider that holds it respawns, allowing multiple copies to be obtained. Secondly, it deals an additional 50% damage to limbs.
- Charon's combat knife - A unique, non-playable version used by Charon with identical stats to the regular version.
- Trench knife - The trench knife's stats are identical to the regular combat knife. The only difference is a unique "knuckle-duster" skin.
- Sim version combat knife - A sim-only version of the weapon which differs only in health (essentially non-degrading).
- Sim version trench knife - A sim-only version of the trench knife which differs only in health (essentially non-degrading).
- Swampfolk combat knife Point Lookout's swampfolk, this version has identical stats but has an object effect which inflicts an extra 35 damage per hit when used by non-player characters against the player. This damage ignores Damage Resistance and is independent of the condition of the weapon. - A non-playable version of the weapon used only by
Comparison[edit | edit source]
|- Weapon name (melee or unarmed)||- Attacks in V.A.T.S.|
|- Weapon name (gun, energy or explosive)||- Action point cost|
|- Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||- Damage per action point|
|- Damage per second||- Weapon spread|
|- Area of effect damage||- Magazine capacity (shots per reload)|
|- Effect damage & duration||- Durability (number of attacks before breaking)|
|- Bonus effects||- Weight|
|- Attacks per second||- Value in caps|
|- Critical chance % multiplier||- Value to weight ratio|
|- Critical damage||- Skill required|
|- Critical effect damage & duration||- Strength required|
|- With all mods attached|
- Note: Melee damage is doubled in V.A.T.S.
Locations[edit | edit source]
- Combat knives are found on random raiders and Talon Company mercs across the Wastelands.
- Eight combat knives may be found in the Regulator HQ.
- Four in the National Guard depot's armory.
- Three in Wheaton armory.
- Three are found in the Smith's basement as well as the garden shed in Andale.
- Three in Dominic and Machete's house.
- Three in Lock and Load in Paradise Falls.
- One can be found at Flak 'N Shrapnel's in the Rivet City market.
- One can be found in the Springvale School kitchen, next to a dead mole rat.
- Common loot in containers across the Capital Wasteland.
- Common loot found on wastelanders.
- mobile base crawler's kitchen, middle deck. Thirteen combat knives in perfect condition can be found in the