|For an overview of combat armor variants, see combat armor.|
Background[edit | edit source]
A diverse family of personal body armor with varying degrees of sophistication, providing balanced protection against both energy and ballistic damage. A wide variety of such armor can be found throughout the wastelands, ranging from the early iterations developed by the United States Army to the cutting-edge riot gear that came into use prior to the Great War.
Characteristics[edit | edit source]
The variant available in the Mojave is similar to the armor in the Capital Wasteland, being short-sleeved, having only the pauldrons and chest plates covering the torso. An identically-named black version of this armor can also be found, with the same appearance as Van Graff combat armor. There is no matching helmet for the black version.
The black version is worn solely by employees of the Van Graffs, and is painted black for "brand recognition purposes." A total of nine suits of black combat armor exist including five worn by the Van Graff thugs at the Silver Rush, one worn by Simon, one worn by Jean-Baptiste Cutting, and two on the bodies of dead Van Graff thugs at the site of Durable Dunn's sacked caravan wreckage.
Variants[edit | edit source]
- Van Graff combat armor - The Van Graffs' standard armor for all of their guards, however identical armor simply called "combat armor" can be found at Durable Dunn's sacked caravan.
- Combat armor, reinforced - An improved version of combat armor, made out of tougher armor plates and covers more of the wearer's body, most notably the back and upper torso, the weight is roughly the same.
- Combat armor, reinforced mark 2 - An even tougher version of standard combat armor and an improvement of the reinforced combat armor, the armor provides more protection by having an even thicker set of armor and covers most of the torso, the lower legs and a portion of the forearms, all for the same amount of weight.
- US Army combat armor - A green, military variant with private insignias found in the Divide.
Locations[edit | edit source]
- Bonnie Springs - Green variant, found on one of the Viper gang members.
- Camp Golf - Can be stolen from the sleeping quarters of the House Resort.
- Camp McCarran supply shack - Daniel Contreras sometimes sells combat armor.
- Durable Dunn's sacked caravan - Black combat armor can be looted from two Van Graff thugs and during the Birds of a Feather quest.
- Gun Runners - Combat armor is worn by respawning guards, who can be killed without Karma penalty. The Vendortron from the Gun Runners may also sell normal combat armors.
- Hoover Dam - Quartermaster Bardon often has two sets of combat armor.
- Nellis hangars - Can be stolen from the armor boxes.
- The helmets can also be found on the Boomer guards stationed at the main gate.
- Vault 34 - In the armory.
- In a footlocker between Crescent Canyon west and Crescent Canyon east. As of patch 18.104.22.1685, this locker also contains a combat helmet.
- Combat armor is worn by the mercenary Norton, who may be outside of Jacobstown.
- A combat helmet can either be bought or stolen from Miguel's Pawn Shop.
- Big MT complex. Often found in lockers at the
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Van Graff combat armor can be repaired by regular combat armor but regular combat armor can not be repaired by the black Van Graff combat armor.
- The combat armor found on Van Graff thugs is colored black instead of green, similar to the combat armor used by Rivet City security in Fallout 3.
- On the female version, the shirt and pants seem to be darker than the male version.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Fallout 4 loading screens: "Combat Armor offers balanced protection against both energy and ballistic damage."
- Riot gear variants available in Lonesome Road.
- Simon: "Standard issue is your run-of-the-mill combat armor, with a nice dark coat of paint for both brand recognition and sheer intimidation value."