|For an overview of combat armor variants in all games, as well as background information, see combat armor.|
Background[edit | edit source]
Modeled after the human silhouette, combat armors were designed to provide balanced protection without limiting user mobility. They are a diverse family of personal body armor with varying degrees of sophistication, ranging from the earliest iterations developed by the United States Army to the cutting-edge riot gears that came into use prior to the Great War.
This particular suit is a new version of combat armor that was designed to replace the regular reinforced combat armor. It is a heavier, more protective armor reserved for use by American shock troops and special forces.
Characteristics[edit | edit source]
This armor provides the same level of protection that is offered by NCR Ranger combat armor but can actually be purchased from vendors. It appears to have much thicker armor plates than regular reinforced combat armor that not only completely cover the torso, shoulders, knees, and lower legs but has forearm guards along with several pouches located along the upper thighs and waist.
The helmet is a ballistic assembly, designed to protect the wearer from projectile and energy weapon impacts, bladed weapons, blunt trauma, and concussion. An integrated polarized visor protects the user's eyes from the ordinary battlefield hazards of grit and dust, but also laser blindness and fragments. It is similar in appearance to the helmet used with the reinforced suit but is a different color. Helmets also incorporate a combination camera/laser rangefinder unit built into the helmet's right side, just above the ear. Those suits of combat armor surviving in the wasteland still have the housing for that equipment, but no suit has been documented as having working hardware.
While being even more expensive than reinforced combat armor, it provides more protection than standard combat armor. 20 Damage Threshold as opposed to 15 DT for standard combat armor or 17 DT for reinforced combat armor.
Variants[edit | edit source]
Locations[edit | edit source]
- Camp McCarran - Can be bought from Daniel Contreras.
- Gun Runners - The armor can be purchased from the Vendortron.
- Hidden Valley bunker - Can be bought from Knight Torres.
- Mercenary camp - One can be found on the mercenary holding the YCS/186 Gauss rifle, north of Horowitz farmstead. He may, however, have the Mark 1 reinforced armor instead (non-Wild Wasteland only).
- Remnants bunker - Two can be found in an armor locker.
- The armor can be found in a duffle bag at an abandoned campsite east of Ranger station Foxtrot and west of Brewer's beer bootlegging. The duffle bag is laying next to a rock pile.
- Crimson Caravan Camp - Can be bought from Blake.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- The Army helmet is presented in the game as an older type of helmet, issued to uniformed troops who do not use the standard set of combat armor: Clearly visible in the tutorial segment and later on countless dead bodies throughout the Commonwealth
- Riot gear variants available in Lonesome Road.
- Fallout 2 Strategy Guide, p. 65