|For an overview of combat armor variants in all games, as well as background information, see combat armor.|
A diverse family of personal body armor with varying degrees of sophistication, providing balanced protection against both energy and ballistic damage. A wide variety of such armor can be found throughout the wastelands, ranging from the early iterations developed by the United States Army to the cutting-edge riot gear that came into use prior to the Great War.
In this more advanced and expensive pre-War model, the torso is covered by the primary armor assembly, including a split breastplate, pauldrons, gorget, and abdominal ring. The sleeves of the bodysuit are full sleeves and include armor plate protection for the upper and lower arms. The lower body is protected by woven pants and incorporates no hard armor, save armored boots. The armor encasing the foot and lower leg is articulated, not sealed. While this permits longer wear times and more comfortable and sure footing, it compromises the armor integrity. Consequently, water and other liquids can enter the armor and affect the user.
The helmet is a ballistic assembly, designed to protect the wearer from projectile and energy weapon impacts, bladed weapons, and blunt trauma. An integrated polarized visor protects the user's eyes from the ordinary battlefield hazards of grit and dust, but also laser blindness and fragments. Helmets also incorporate a combination camera/laser rangefinder unit built into the helmet's right side, just above the ear. Those suits of combat armor surviving in the wasteland still have the housing for that equipment, but no suit has been documented as having working hardware.
Although it is more expensive, this armor gives more protection (+2 DT) and weighs the same as standard combat armor.
- The Devil's Throat - A suit in poor condition along with a party hat and authority glasses can be found in an abandoned truck near the CZ57 Avenger minigun, on a dead prospector.
- Followers safehouse - A suit in perfect condition is found on a bed, along with a matching helmet.
- Gomorrah - A suit in good condition is awarded after winning more than 6,750 chips in the casino.
- Gun Runners - Sold by the Vendortron.
- Mercenary camp - The mercenary carrying the YCS/186 at the camp east of Brooks tumbleweed ranch is wearing a suit and helmet that are both in good condition. Note that this group is replaced by aliens with the Wild Wasteland trait.
- Walking Box cavern - One can be found inside a duffle bag.
- Sealed sewers - Inside a duffle bag with the helmet.
- Lakelurk cove - In a duffle bag with the suit and helmet in medium condition.
- It looks like regular combat armor while lying on the ground, though it appears different from combat armor when worn.
- While in the first person, some weapons (primarily melee and unarmed weapons) cause the shoulder pads to clip through the view while attacking, similar to the centurion armor shoulder pads.
- It resembles the combat armor from Fallout and Fallout 2.
- It is possible to wear glasses underneath the black visor.