|The following is based on Fallout Tactics and is not canon.|
A good pistol with solid damage and range. However, ammunition is not common or cheap. After the two shotguns it's the best non-automatic weapon for close quarters shooting in the early game.
- Three carried by raiders in Brahmin Wood. One is on a raider outside the compound entrance. There's another on a raider inside the roadblock. The third is carried by raider boss Horus inside his base in Brahmin Wood.
- One can be found in Freeport, inside the chest in the O'Reilly tent.
- Three carried by Beastlords in the Quincy.
- Six carried by Beastlords in the Mardin.
- One carried by Enforcer in Junction City.
- Common among raider random encounters.
- One is carried by the Farmer in the farmer special encounter.
- One is sold by the Hermit in the Hermit special encounter.
The Colt 45 appeared first in Fallout, on the cover of the Guns and Bullets magazine. Chris Taylor desired to include it as a usable firearm, but failed to do so in order to limit the types of ammunition . It was not until Fallout Tactics that it became a usable weapon.
- Post by Chris Taylor where he stated, "My only regret is not including a Colt .45. It fits in the same category as the Mauser. I think it was a question of trying to keep the number of ammo types down."