The Colorado River is a major river separating the pre-War states of Nevada and Arizona.
The Colorado River forms the dividing line between the New California Republic and Caesar's Legion forces in the Mojave. The Hoover Dam was constructed to harness the river's hydroelectric power in the 20th century.
There is a path leading down to the river just north of the abandoned BoS bunker. Heading north along the river towards the Hoover Dam will reveal a cove on the east side with lakelurks and two explosives crates with some loot. Heading south on the west side just past the bottleneck of the river, a half-buried duffle bag of loot is hidden in the weeds on the upper bank next to a skeleton. A lakelurk may be nearby to the south. When swimming through the water, tires, boards, and seaweed can be seen resting on the river bottom.
Further south on the east side of the river is the deathclaw promontory. Farther to the south, directly across the river from Blue Paradise Vacation Rentals, is a cove filled with lakelurks. In the cave behind the wrecked boat are a dead mercenary and two duffle bags full of loot. All of this is found before the Courier gains access to the east bank of the river by Caesar's Legion. Pinto beans can be found along the river banks.
- The water in the river is not irradiated at any point within the map. There is a point south of the map's boundaries that is slightly irradiated.
- Joshua Graham states that Dead Horse Point is somewhere up the Colorado River from Zion Canyon.
- If a player character heads east from Camp Searchlight after the rocky, downhill part leading into the sandier terrain, there is generally a pack of three to four fire geckos.
- Ulysses mentions the Colorado.
- The river is labeled on a map of the Hoover Dam seen in-game.
- A creature named "Colorado River toad" is mentioned in a Pioneer Scout exam.
- Aaron Kimball mentions the river in his speech at Hoover Dam.
Behind the scenes
The Colorado River is based on the real world Colorado River.
- Aaron Kimball: "Four years ago, we drew a line through the Mojave as clear as the Colorado River, a line that Caesar cannot cross."
- Courier: "Legion's attacked Nipton, burned and killed everyone."
Kilborn: "What? There's no way... we're miles from the Colorado. They... they aren't even waiting for the Dam to fall. They're already inside the borders... ...we'll never stop them, not at this rate. We're doomed. Thanks for bringing the word - even if the news is bad, I'll let the men know."
- Courier: "NCR would have needed this supply line open to reinforce the Mojave - and Hoover Dam."
Courier: "The Legion would want to cut this road off if it had been a supply line to Hoover Dam."
Ulysses: "The Dam. That Old World Wall. The Bear, NCR, couldn't be allowed to reach it easily. Long 15... Canaan... both bad enough. Kimball, Caesar, House... you'd think their whole world was that wall, cutting the Colorado. If I'd never laid eyes on it, never spoke of it ...but once found, it was all Caesar could see. That, and the flag beyond it, another symbol, big enough to challenge him. And the Divide, one of the roads to it - Legion was tasked with cutting that artery. If you can't kill the Bear in one stroke, bleed it, starve it. That kind of murder... it's what any of the Legion would have done. Now... the Divide belongs to history."
- Courier: "I'm not interested in your politics."
Ulysses: "Maybe not. Maybe that's why you fell in with the Bear in the first place - can't see what you're following. Not going to convince a deaf man with words. Shown strength coming in here - if strength's what you respect, then you belong East of the Colorado."
- Ulysses' final message
- Hoover Dam map
- Pioneer Scout camp terminal entries; pioneer badge exam terminal, Tadpole Exams, Herpetologist