The Colorado River is a major river running through the states of Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, and Utah. The Hoover Dam was constructed to harness the river's hydroelectric power in the 20th century. The Colorado River forms the dividing line between the New California Republic's offensive camps and Caesar's Legion forts.
There is a path leading down to the river just north of the abandoned BoS bunker. Heading north along the river towards the Hoover Dam will reveal a cove on the east side with lakelurks and two explosives crates with some loot. Heading south on the west side just past the bottleneck of the river, a half-buried duffle bag of loot is hidden in the weeds on the upper bank next to a skeleton. A lakelurk may be nearby to the south. When swimming through the water, tires, boards, and seaweed can be seen resting on the river bottom.
Further south on the east side of the river is the deathclaw promontory. Farther to the south, directly across the river from Blue Paradise Vacation Rentals, is a cove filled with lakelurks. In the cave behind the wrecked boat are a dead mercenary and two duffle bags full of loot. All of this is found before the Courier gains access to the east bank of the river by Caesar's Legion. Pinto beans can be found along the river banks.
- The water in the river is not irradiated at any point within the map. There is a point south of the map's boundaries that is slightly irradiated.
- Joshua Graham states that Dead Horse Point is somewhere up the Colorado River from Zion Canyon.
- If a player character heads east from Camp Searchlight after the rocky, downhill part leading into the sandier terrain, there is generally a pack of three to four fire geckos.
The Colorado River appears in Fallout: New Vegas, and is mentioned in its add-ons Dead Money, Honest Hearts, and Lonesome Road, the Fallout 76 update Wild Appalachia, and the graphic novel All Roads. It is also labeled on a map of the Hoover Dam seen in-game.
Behind the scenes
The Colorado River is based on the real world Colorado River, which runs through seven U.S. states and two Mexican states.
- The Courier: "Legion's attacked Nipton, burned and killed everyone."
Kilborn: " we're from the Colorado. They... "
- The Courier: "I'm not interested in your politics."
Ulysses: "Maybe not. Maybe that's why you fell in with the Bear in the first place - can't see what you're following. Not going to convince a deaf man with words. Shown strength coming in here - if strength's what you respect, then you belong East of the Colorado."
- The Courier: "[NCR] NCR would have needed this supply line open to reinforce the Mojave - and Hoover Dam."
The Courier: "[Legion] The Legion would want to cut this road off if it had been a supply line to Hoover Dam."
Ulysses: " The Bear, NCR, couldn't be allowed to reach it easily. Long 15... Canaan... both bad enough. ...but once found, it was all Caesar could see. That, and the flag beyond it, another symbol, big enough to challenge him. And the Divide, one of the roads to it - Legion was tasked with cutting that artery. If you can't kill the Bear in one stroke, bleed it, starve it. That kind of murder... it's what any of the would have done. Now... the Divide belongs to history."
- Ulysses' final message
- Pioneer Scout camp terminal entries; pioneer badge exam terminal, Tadpole Exams, Herpetologist
- Hoover Dam map